2023 DB Elliot Washington Commits To Bama

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I know most folks fancy the skill players and big lineman and for good reason, but give me a good safety. If u look back at past CNS championships, a great safety is part of the plan, his defensive plan requires it.Don't know if this guy is that but maybe he is. Who knows?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Nice! I like big time safeties. I yearn for the days, not so long ago, when we had a Landon Collins or an Eddie Jackson back there to shut things down.
Xavier McKinney was here two years ago and Jordan Battle is going to be all conference if not AA next year so yearning for those days seems to be an odd thing to say. Anyway back to the subject matter, welcome and RTR Elliot.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
Xavier McKinney was here two years ago and Jordan Battle is going to be all conference if not AA next year so yearning for those days seems to be an odd thing to say. Anyway back to the subject matter, welcome and RTR Elliot.
In my opinion, neither McKinney nor Battle are the level of players that Collins and Jackson were. Really good? Yes. Collins and Jackson level? No. Battle being an AA is an assumption, though he may very well be at that level next year. However, Jackson was an INT waiting to happen on any given play, and WRs feared the middle of the field when Collins played. I am not dismissing players like Battle and McKinney, I am simply yearning for a safety the quality of Jackson or Collins. You are entitled to find that odd if you wish.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
In my opinion, neither McKinney nor Battle are the level of players that Collins and Jackson were. Really good? Yes. Collins and Jackson level? No. Battle being an AA is an assumption, though he may very well be at that level next year. However, Jackson was an INT waiting to happen on any given play, and WRs feared the middle of the field when Collins played. I am not dismissing players like Battle and McKinney, I am simply yearning for a safety the quality of Jackson or Collins. You are entitled to find that odd if you wish.
1643687232662.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TiderJack

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
McKinney is a better safety than both right now after Jackson and Collins injurues. Denote Thompson was great too. Both left a year too early and tanked their draft stock a bit and it effected their development. McKinney was playing at a high level this year but should have been making first round money had he returned for a senior season.

The targeting rule has killed what was great about safety play.

Reactions: TiderJack

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
McKinney is a better safety than both right now after Jackson and Collins injurues. Denote Thompson was great too. Both left a year too early and tanked their draft stock a bit and it effected their development. McKinney was playing at a high level this year but should have been making first round money had he returned for a senior season.

The targeting rule has killed what was great about safety play.
I agree 100%.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Odd may have not been the right thing to say but I don't think you know the type of player McKinney is. See below review of X after this past year. He is a budding superstar for the Giants and was rated the #13 safety in the NFL out of 64 starting safeties in year two and his first full healthy season.

If there’s one player on the Giants’ defense to be excited about, it’s Xavier McKinney. The second-year safety exceeded expectations in his first full season, recording 5 interceptions, 4 passes defended and being the 13th highest graded safety in terms of coverage, per PFF. If any Giant deserved a Pro Bowl nod, it was McKinney.

The range displayed by McKinney will allow the next defensive coordinator to call single high looks where he can rely on McKinney’s ability to assist corners in perceived one-on-one matchups. It’s rare to find a safety who has sideline to sideline ability - that’s not just a speed trait, but a mental and agile one. McKinney is one of the better building blocks on the Giants roster.

Regarding Battle, he was a PFF first team AA this past year and a 2nd team CBSSports and 3rd team AP AA so assuming he will be a AA this coming year is a very educated assumption based on past history. Also just about every 2023 mock draft I have seen has him as a mid to late 1st round draft pick. Eddie, Landon and X did not go in first round (Landon/X were projected to but went early 2nd round and Eddie got hurt). Here is one of the mock draft links.

Battle was named a first-team All-America by Pro Football Focus, a publication not counted for consensus or unanimous All-American honors. CBS Sports named Battle a second-team All-American while the Associated Press named him to its third team for 2021.Jan 15, 2022

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols and BJ4TIDE

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Odd may have not been the right thing to say but I don't think you know the type of player McKinney is. See below review of X after this past year. He is a budding superstar for the Giants and was rated the #13 safety in the NFL out of 64 starting safeties in year two and his first full healthy season.

If there’s one player on the Giants’ defense to be excited about, it’s Xavier McKinney. The second-year safety exceeded expectations in his first full season, recording 5 interceptions, 4 passes defended and being the 13th highest graded safety in terms of coverage, per PFF. If any Giant deserved a Pro Bowl nod, it was McKinney.

The range displayed by McKinney will allow the next defensive coordinator to call single high looks where he can rely on McKinney’s ability to assist corners in perceived one-on-one matchups. It’s rare to find a safety who has sideline to sideline ability - that’s not just a speed trait, but a mental and agile one. McKinney is one of the better building blocks on the Giants roster.

Regarding Battle, he was a PFF first team AA this past year and a 2nd team CBSSports and 3rd team AP AA so assuming he will be a AA this coming year is a very educated assumption based on past history. Also just about every 2023 mock draft I have seen has him as a mid to late 1st round draft pick. Eddie, Landon and X did not go in first round (Landon/X were projected to but went early 2nd round and Eddie got hurt). Here is one of the mock draft links.

Battle was named a first-team All-America by Pro Football Focus, a publication not counted for consensus or unanimous All-American honors. CBS Sports named Battle a second-team All-American while the Associated Press named him to its third team for 2021.Jan 15, 2022

In defense of his criticism, McKinney’s interceptions this year surpassed his career at Alabama.

Safety at Alabama was the rangy guy who got their on these deep balls and at least swatted them away. A lot of the guys here lately get there just in time to be in the photo of getting owned.

Reactions: BJ4TIDE

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
In defense of his criticism, McKinney’s interceptions this year surpassed his career at Alabama.

Safety at Alabama was the rangy guy who got their on these deep balls and at least swatted them away. A lot of the guys here lately get there just in time to be in the photo of getting owned.
Maybe they did not throw it at X when he was at Bama since it clearly states in the article I inserted he is one of the rangiest sideline to sideline safeties in all of pro football. You would think if he has this range in the NFL he would have had it at Bama so I don't think you can say this about X.

Reactions: BJ4TIDE

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.