NCAA Portal Talk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It will be Bama and a mere handful of other teams in on every leading prospect. The NCAA is actually lobbying Congress for a law imposing some limit on payments. Meanwhile the school to watch is Texas. Their boast that they (boosters) have more money than God is not that far off...
With the players Texas A&M bought eeerrr I'm meant brought in this recruiting class.. Their boosters aren't far behind money wise..😂😂

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
With the players Texas A&M bought eeerrr I'm meant brought in this recruiting class.. Their boosters aren't far behind money wise..😂😂
If you want to get a feel for the wealth, the biggest endowment of any public university is Texas with 30 billion. The second place public university system is Texas A&M with 13 billion. The next highest SEC school is Florida with 1.8 billion.

These boosters in the state of Texas are absolutely loaded. I believe the only reason that Texas didn't go nuts this year was they didn't want to prop up a struggling coach. On the other hand the reason Texas A&M went big is they beat Alabama and it gave them sufficient motivation.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If you want to get a feel for the wealth, the biggest endowment of any public university is Texas with 30 billion. The second place public university system is Texas A&M with 13 billion. The next highest SEC school is Florida with 1.8 billion.

These boosters in the state of Texas are absolutely loaded. I believe the only reason that Texas didn't go nuts this year was they didn't want to prop up a struggling coach. On the other hand the reason Texas A&M went big is they beat Alabama and it gave them sufficient motivation.
Dang.. People are going to wonder next year when Texas signs 10 5 stars or more once those boosters opens up their checkbook..

Out of curiosity do you know where Bama ranks when it comes to endowment????

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Dang.. People are going to wonder next year when Texas signs 10 5 stars or more once those boosters opens up their checkbook..

And I have said and people say I'm crazy for saying this, but this will drive coach to retirement quicker because he'll get tired of the NIL where out working people will no longer get it done, it'll be about money

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

1.4 billion. They are one of the wealthiest SEC schools but they will not win bidding wars with motivated Texas boosters.

I did have an earlier discussion about this, and there's a valid point to be made that it isn't just about having the most money. It will be about who has the right targets and who they are bidding against. Alabama is better situation than 90% of college football, but one can argue they are not in as good a situation as they were prior to NILs.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And I have said and people say I'm crazy for saying this, but this will drive coach to retirement quicker because he'll get tired of the NIL where out working people will no longer get it done, it'll be about money
No I agree with 100% my friend & this last year it's all about the money not so much about recruiting..When it comes to the Top 100 players in the nation..

It's leveled out the playing field in a unfair way, when it comes too schools, recruiting against top recruiters like Coach Saban & other elite recruiters..

It's no longer about what do you offer that will help me make it to the we NFL & becoming more about how much will you pay me or what kinda contract will you offer me if i come to too your school..

It's both amazing & discouraging at the same time, as too just how much, the landscape of college football has changed in this last recruiting cycle alone.. Change is always good not this way though..JMO

• Thank You
Reactions: bamadwain

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
1.4 billion. They are one of the wealthiest SEC schools but they will not win bidding wars with motivated Texas boosters.

I did have an earlier discussion about this, and there's a valid point to be made that it isn't just about having the most money. It will be about who has the right targets and who they are bidding against. Alabama is better situation than 90% of college football, but one can argue they are not in as good a situation as they were prior to NILs.
And eventually I look for Congress to rein it all in with legislation…….. smaller schools will lead the charge complaining to their Congressional reps, who will introduce legislation to stop it……. Wait and see

Reactions: AlexanderFan

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
And eventually I look for Congress to rein it all in with legislation…….. smaller schools will lead the charge complaining to their Congressional reps, who will introduce legislation to stop it……. Wait and see
They will cap it and make the money go into a fund to be taxed upon withdrawals. These guys will be forced to itemize items of value given to them under these contracts as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
*deep breath*

These discussions pop up all the time. And I always try to push back with a little perspective...

It's worth noting a vast majority of boosters who donate towards the endowment are more interested in academics than sports. Sports are fun, but academics are where bragging rights are wrt education. Princeton might suck in sports but they still look down their noses at high-ranking academic schools such as Florida.

Sure, there are boosters who love sports and passionately support the school financially, and the endowment gives a peek behind the curtain as to the financial power of the boosters, but most of them are funding academics, not sports.

Beyond that, there's a practical limit as to how much any recruiting class can 'cost'. The reality is there's a maximum amount any group of people are willing to spend on their passion. The average NFL salary cap in 2021 was ~$180million, so there's about a 0% chance you see CFB NIL deals approach that. $20-30 million? I suspect even those numbers are pretty significantly inflated. If you assume it takes $10-20 million annually to entice the players a team wants, there are a lot of schools willing to do that. Just because ATM (for example) has more wealthy people donating doesn't mean those people will throw their money at kids playing a game, at least not in the huge numbers we discuss when we're talking endowments.

IOW, the practical limits will still form a natural ceiling. And even that will require belief that the coaching staff in place can win big with those players.

I know a few incredibly wealthy people and none of them throw money around like many here seem to presume. They're wealthy in large part due to their knowledge of how to handle money, not blow through it like an thrill-seeking addicted gambler in Vegas...

Think about it - if it were really about how much money they can spend, they would get every coach and every player they wanted, regardless of outcome. If money was spent as if it were coming out of a firehose, they'd have offered Saban $20, $50, maybe $100 million annually to come coach - but they didn't.

Because even for the insanely wealthy there are practical limits as to what whey will spend on something.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Pandora's Box has been opened.

The way one of the first laws was structured (California) and subsequently the way the NCAA introduced it, it was specifically set up in such a way as to prevent any oversight. An NIL can be anyone (other than the school ironically, due to NCAA rules) giving any amount of money for any reason.

Now let's imagine you set up some sort of legislation. How does one prohibit what is going on? Before paying players to join a school was an under the table, as much as you can keep secret sort of deal. Now players are making 7 figures and it's all legit.

I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle with legislation. In large part because now people have an appetite for it and a lot of people see it as acceptable. Furthermore how do you tell Bryce Young how much he can make off his likeness? The guy won a Heisman. The problem is some guy playing for Texas A&M can sign deals for just as much to go play for them... If you try to prohibit it, all that means is you can end up with a more clever hybrid model, which for the record you are already seeing. There are supposed legitimate ways to do NILs and do you think anyone is really sticking to those? Do you think there are no strings attached, so on so forth? Obviously there are...

NILs were in theory not even supposed to be used to entice players to come to a particular school, yet that's what is happening and that's the primary use. Everyone saw that coming. Ironically, if NIL was just NIL a lot of these guy's NIL would be worth about a used car. Now it's worth a mansion.

They can make more rules but this is the new reality.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Pandora's Box has been opened.

The way one of the first laws was structured (California) and subsequently the way the NCAA introduced it, it was specifically set up in such a way as to prevent any oversight. An NIL can be anyone (other than the school ironically, due to NCAA rules) giving any amount of money for any reason.

Now let's imagine you set up some sort of legislation. How does one prohibit what is going on? Before paying players to join a school was an under the table, as much as you can keep secret sort of deal. Now players are making 7 figures and it's all legit.

I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle with legislation. In large part because now people have an appetite for it and a lot of people see it as acceptable. Furthermore how do you tell Bryce Young how much he can make off his likeness? The guy won a Heisman. The problem is some guy playing for Texas A&M can sign deals for just as much to go play for them... If you try to prohibit it, all that means is you can end up with a more clever hybrid model, which for the record you are already seeing. There are supposed legitimate ways to do NILs and do you think anyone is really sticking to those? Do you think there are no strings attached, so on so forth? Obviously there are...

NILs were in theory not even supposed to be used to entice players to come to a particular school, yet that's what is happening and that's the primary use. Everyone saw that coming. Ironically, if NIL was just NIL a lot of these guy's NIL would be worth about a used car. Now it's worth a mansion.

They can make more rules but this is the new reality.
True, but it won’t stop them from trying……….

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I`ve felt that that`s a very distinct possibility for a while now. One more national title, then............??

Reactions: bamadwain

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My prediction—The Texas schools and USC will win the coming NIL wars. Whether and to what degree that translates into on the field success is another matter.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
I think Bama finished 10th in the portal rankings but 1st on filling needs. You can only put 11 on the field at a time and these teams that are using nil to get portal transfers may have some "rich" kids sitting on the bench. Transfers that don't start seems to be a waste

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.