Link: Saban explains NCG loss

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe Coach was trying to instill some leadership into the younger players. Team-mates could have helped the "3" to get their act together. Peer pressure is a big motivator... :cool:
Alas, sometimes you're just incapable of getting your alligator arms and attitude around the problem...

1645266522407.png

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have a feeling Billingsley’s attitude will leak over in Austin. I hope I’m wrong, but give it time…

As for Hall and the rest of the WR room, if Saban has to bring in a transfer to that same position in back to back years, obviously he knows that some of those guys lack leadership and accountability. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the WR room clearing out
Judging on how Texas has played the last several years, I think there are plenty of players in Austin who already have that attitude.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Maybe on the internet they are, but in Montgomery Barn fans are awful. Over half my coworkers are Barn fans so I have to deal with them alot. It was quite odd to me how vocal they were about the NCG when they were so quiet about football in December.
Well, how we do ( or don`t do in the case of the NCG ) is about all they`ve got. They sure as hell can`t talk about their own team. There`s little to nothing to talk about. In a somewhat perverse way, our team is more significant to many of them than their own.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Watching Billingsley block ( wait, you really can`t call it that, can you? ) told me all I needed to know about his attitude. It`s really a shame because he`s so gifted.
Said it before, if I`m a brand new WR at Alabama, at the first opportunity I`m leveling somebody down field. THAT will get me on CNS` football field real quick.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
pretty sure it was him. i remember almost throwing the remote through the tv when i saw that
pretty sure it was him. i remember almost throwing the remote through the tv when i saw that
I remember thinking at the time that there was absolutely no possibility that he could run a decent route, not even knowing where to line up...

Reactions: 92tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Watching Billingsley block ( wait, you really can`t call it that, can you? ) told me all I needed to know about his attitude. It`s really a shame because he`s so gifted.
Said it before, if I`m a brand new WR at Alabama, at the first opportunity I`m leveling somebody down field. THAT will get me on CNS` football field real quick.
CNS has fewer of those than almost anybody, with his ability to reach almost anyone, but we've had a number like him over the years...

Reactions: JF3

jasongilbert69

1st Team
Oct 11, 2019
The guys should be motivated to practice hard in Spring and Fall camp this year because the WR positions are up for grabs. Burton will be one of the starters but the other spots are unknown and if the competition is close
I sure hope not. Let the top three get the spots.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I sure hope not. Let the top three get the spots.
If I'd have to predict the 3 WR's now I'd say Burton, Brooks and Earle, but Brooks and Earle are not automatic so the other guys will have a shot in camp. Last season everyone knew early who the WR's would be so that created the problems Saban mentioned. In 2022 the backups cannot really say they won't play anyway since they very well could depending on how Brooks and Earle perform in the first game or two.

Reactions: FaninLA

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If I'd have to predict the 3 WR's now I'd say Burton, Brooks and Earle, but Brooks and Earle are not automatic so the other guys will have a shot in camp. Last season everyone knew early who the WR's would be so that created the problems Saban mentioned. In 2022 the backups cannot really say they won't play anyway since they very well could depending on how Brooks and Earle perform in the first game or two.
There will be speed in the 2 spot. Big time speed. Jameson made the rest of the offense so much better because of his speed. He cleared two men twenty yards off the LOS on almost every play. Look for the most developed incomer to get that spot.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Sometimes you have to call people out publicly…….. only way some people get it
I think he is setting the stage to send some players packing, he daring those players to say something ,then he unloads on them and they out the door,this loss it seems is grinding on Coach Saban he's not happy, players better get right with the program or get out, ,,get with the process or get run over by it.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
This headline bothers me. It sounds like CNS is making excuses and blaming the loss on 3 players. I listened to the clip and that is not at all what I got out of what he was saying. His point was that you never know when your opportunity will come and if you don't do what you are supposed to do when you are supposed to do it, you will not be able to take advantage of that opportunity when it does come. He used the three, as examples of what NOT to do. Those three guys did not do what was needed throughout the season to perform when called upon.

On the other side, you could take Dallas Turner. He was sitting behind Allen and Sanders in training camp. Allen goes down and he is still behind Sanders who played fairly good through the seven games or so. Drew goes down, Dallas get his shot, and Drew never gets his job back. By all accounts, Dallas did do what he was supposed to do through training camp and the first part of the season even though he was not getting playing time early. When his opportunity came he was ready.

CNS always talks about creating value for yourself. CNS's point was you have to contribute and plan on a daily basis to improve yourself, regardless of your circumstances, b/c you never know when you get that opportunity. It was about individual responsibility and that was just the most recent example. It had nothing to do with making excuses like the headline seems to insinuate.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This headline bothers me. It sounds like CNS is making excuses and blaming the loss on 3 players. I listened to the clip and that is not at all what I got out of what he was saying. His point was that you never know when your opportunity will come and if you don't do what you are supposed to do when you are supposed to do it, you will not be able to take advantage of that opportunity when it does come. He used the three, as examples of what NOT to do. Those three guys did not do what was needed throughout the season to perform when called upon.

On the other side, you could take Dallas Turner. He was sitting behind Allen and Sanders in training camp. Allen goes down and he is still behind Sanders who played fairly good through the seven games or so. Drew goes down, Dallas get his shot, and Drew never gets his job back. By all accounts, Dallas did do what he was supposed to do through training camp and the first part of the season even though he was not getting playing time early. When his opportunity came he was ready.

CNS always talks about creating value for yourself. CNS's point was you have to contribute and plan on a daily basis to improve yourself, regardless of your circumstances, b/c you never know when you get that opportunity. It was about individual responsibility and that was just the most recent example. It had nothing to do with making excuses like the headline seems to insinuate.
You forgot the part where he mentions they failed critically on the biggest stage in college football.

It’s not a stretch to say those failures cost Alabama the game.

Reactions: The Ols

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
No excuses but to be fair, one fast ball close to the LOS was about 10-90. A couple others would have been really tough catches for Metchie or Williams.
John, fair enough. But I will add this: The catches would have been much easier for Metchie and Williams because they would have separated from their defenders.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Interesting you bring up Turner. I saw one clip of Saban's remarks where right after he got done talking about the 3 WR's not practicing well he immediately mentioned Dallas Turner's name, but then the video clip ended. I'm assuming he was going to say how Turner had the right attitude and didn't complain about not starting, continued to practice hard and took full advantage of his opportunity when he was called upon.

Reactions: Con

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.