What Alabama football coach Nick Saban said about retirement

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Of course, I don't want CNS going anywhere, period, but another reason I am happy to hear him say that retirement isn't even in his wheelhouse right now is because, as of now, at this point in time, there are NO viable candidates for the Alabama job, and I don't see there being any for the foreseeable future. Nobody who is currently an active head coach is truly worthy of the position.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
@DogPatch what's up with the facepalm? If CNS retired right now, who do you see as a viable candidate for the Alabama head coaching job?
Kiffin seemingly wants the job. Saban could sneeze and Kiffin would write 9 tweets of how awesome Saban's sneezes are.

There are a few others that I would keep an eye on for later consideration.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've been assuming every year is Saban's last year since 2016. It just helps me not worry over it and just enjoy each year he stays.

If I were a betting man I would expect him to go out with a Championship win though and possibly at the same time a starting QB is leaving.

That said I think Saban would be pretty careful in his planning(as he always is) and go out in the best way possible for Alabama, either with a successor already lined up or at least with the process started.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Things can change rapidly though. I’m age 62 at present. I had always envisioned myself working until age 70. Not meaning to sound pretentious, I enjoy my work for the most the part, I’m darn good at it and probably better and more successful than I was ten years ago at age 52.

However, given any number of factors both internal and external that relate to my work, I do not see myself working in my present position past age 65. And today I find myself contemplating whether I even need to continue that long. And this really changed for me in the last 18-24 months.

In my work, I’ve seen a large percentage of the support people with my company “check out” mentally since COVID. Work for them is about minimal effort, punching the clock, and getting a check. Sadly we can’t replace them because we can find candidates that are remotely qualified to takeover. So we retain people that are, at this point, striving for mediocrity.

For me, I’m wired differently. It is about striving for exceptional performance and doing the absolute best I can in every circumstance. And no I’m not successful in every situation, but never has a customer/client evaluated my performance and said I lacked in effort, will or determination.

I say all this to bring up something I’ve hit on in fall camp with the team and at times during the past season. I had not seen Coach Saban this frustrated with a team in a long, long time. Much of his frustration seemingly focused on lack of leadership, commitment and effort. I could empathize with him completely because in my work I was/am experiencing very similar things.

I truly believe Coach Saban will continue to coach as long has he feels he can “reach” and motivate these young folks as a player and as a person in a positive way. However, I could see him reach a point, sooner as opposed to later, where he questions whether the frustration level is worth it any longer.

And I’m asking myself that most every day now.

Last edited:

Aladadgumbama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2005
Kiffin will never be our coach. When he tossed the mic and made the "popcorn" comment during pre-game before Ole Miss at BDS last fall he essentially failed the job interview. Our Trustees/Board & others who will do the hiring one day no doubt saw that and crossed him off their short list. Mal Moore used to say a prudent Athletic Director always has a list of 5 names tucked away in a drawer in case he has to act quickly when a coach departs, dies, is incapacitated, etc... No doubt, the guys who will make that next decision (Paul Bryant Jr, Dr. Witt, Dr. Bell, ect...) are keeping a keen eye out for another coach just in case....... Mark my word, the trustees will look elsewhere, away from Kiffin. I just hope its not for another 10 years or so. RTR

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Things can change rapidly though. I’m age 62 at present. I had always envisioned myself working until age 70. Not meaning to sound pretentious, I enjoy my work for the most the part, I’m darn good at it and probably better and more successful than I was ten years ago at age 52.

However, given any number of factors both internal and external that relate to my work, I do not see myself working in my present position past age 65. And today I find myself contemplating whether I even need to continue that long. And this really changed for me in the last 18-24 months.

In my work, I’ve seen a large percentage of the support people with my company “check out” mentally since COVID. Work for them is about minimal effort, punching the clock, and getting a check. Sadly we can’t replace them because we can find candidates that are remotely qualified to takeover. So we retain people that are, at this point, striving for mediocrity.

For me, I’m wired differently. It is about striving for exceptional performance and doing the absolute best I can in every circumstance. And no I’m not successful in every situation, but never has a customer/client evaluated my performance and said I lacked in effort, will or determination.

I say all this to bring up something I’ve hit on in fall camp with the team and at times during the past season. I had not seen Coach Saban this frustrated with a team in a long, long time. Much of his frustration seemingly focused on lack of leadership, commitment and effort. I could empathize with him completely because in my work I was/am experiencing very similar things.

I truly believe Coach Saban will continue to coach as long has he feels he can “reach” and motivate these young folks as a player and as a person in a positive way. However, I could see him reach a point, sooner as opposed to later, where he questions whether the frustration level is worth it any longer.

And I’m asking myself that most every day now.
Well said...at some point you realize that your "audience" is no longer connecting with you. I was a pastor until 67, then retired, and worked part-time for 3 years for a congregation that was mostly senior adults. At age 70 you can get your maximum SS...you do realize that young people find it hard to listen to someone with whom they cannot fully relate. Our music and cultural worlds are really different. That is what will finally push CNS over the line...he evidently thrives on work!!!

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
@DogPatch what's up with the facepalm? If CNS retired right now, who do you see as a viable candidate for the Alabama head coaching job?
There are plenty of viable candidates now AND in the foreseeable future. Some current viable candidates: Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney (hate him), Lane Kiffin, Billy Napier, PJ Fleck, Bill O'Brien (see Swinney), etc. Just because there isn't another Saban on the horizon doesn't mean there aren't viable candidates out there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There are plenty of viable candidates now AND in the foreseeable future. Some current viable candidates: Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney (hate him), Lane Kiffin, Billy Napier, PJ Fleck, Bill O'Brien (see Swinney), etc. Just because there isn't another Saban on the horizon doesn't mean there aren't viable candidates out there.
I'm not crazy about any of those but you're not wrong - all of them have great potential.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I agree (mostly). I would also add Aranda to the list of viables. We have not seen enough of him, but what I have seen, I like. A lot. I think Bama's next HC is a current college HC.

As an older fellow, I believe plans on retiring are made, but can also change very quickly, especially when money is no obstacle.

What would be interesting to know is just how much influence Saban will actually have in selecting the next head coach.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I agree (mostly). I would also add Aranda to the list of viables. We have not seen enough of him, but what I have seen, I like. A lot. I think Bama's next HC is a current college HC.

As an older fellow, I believe plans on retiring are made, but can also change very quickly, especially when money is no obstacle.

What would be interesting to know is just how much influence Saban will actually have in selecting the next head coach.
That is an interesting question. My thought is that Saban will give Byrne (or whomever the AD happens to be) input but not go as far as recommending someone.

I also have a gut feeling that CNS is not one to “announce” his plans prior to a final season. I think he’ll give the AD a heads up, but he’s not one to have the focus on him instead of the team for a “final” season.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

Further illustrated my point. I didn't think about Aranda, and there are more out there.

Also, there are several promising young NFL head coaches that might consider Alabama, if it were open.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.