Trouble Coming with UTexas...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Message and link from a friend. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts:

"As chairman of UT’s board of regents in the 1960s and 1970s, Frank C. Erwin feuded with professors, protestors and with the student newspaper, The Daily Texan. “We do not fund anything that we don’t control,” Erwin memorably said of the newspaper.

That is pretty much the UT mentality on everything and one of the reasons the SEC may have been the dog that caught the car!"

This link will show the inner machinations of Frank Erwin et. al. at UT. A little long for some, but we need to be aware of the history of who we are now dancing.

https://www.texasobserver.org/tangling-with-frank-erwin/

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Texas is Warren Beatty.
The SEC is the Oscars.
No one cares who Warren is anymore. Just an old man with a sketchy history

He just happens to know people with money. That’s the only reason we let him come.
I agree. I think there’s too much fanaticism and legitimate history in the SEC than anything Texas has had to deal with. Texas chummed up with Oklahoma because everyone else in the B12 was in a decline, or not on the level of Texas. The SEC has far more teams with influence.

To borrow from Coach Stallings, Texas needs the SEC a lot more than the SEC needs Texas.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
A study of the McDonnell-Douglas and Boeing merger would be helpful here. Remember Boeing was doing very well, based in Seattle when they took over the weaker McDonnell-Douglas company based in Chicago. Fast forward to today, and Boeing is a hot mess with it's headquarters in Chicago. Make no mistake this merger was not a long term good merger, and the McDonnell-Douglas folks character won out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Message and link from a friend. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts:

"As chairman of UT’s board of regents in the 1960s and 1970s, Frank C. Erwin feuded with professors, protestors and with the student newspaper, The Daily Texan. “We do not fund anything that we don’t control,” Erwin memorably said of the newspaper.

That is pretty much the UT mentality on everything and one of the reasons the SEC may have been the dog that caught the car!"

This link will show the inner machinations of Frank Erwin et. al. at UT. A little long for some, but we need to be aware of the history of who we are now dancing.

https://www.texasobserver.org/tangling-with-frank-erwin/

Padre,

As someone who has lived here all but 18 months of the last 20-plus years, you're by no means WRONG here. This is an excellent example of the Texas way - and even though Aggies like to pretend they're above this kind of nonsense with their flexible as Rosie O'Donnell's pantyhose ethics in the so-called Aggie code (which was proven to be a farce when Manziel took money for autographs), these are Siamese twins when it comes to thinking "I gawt money and I'm gawn get my way."

But things have changed and just like houses in Texas, most of which have foundation issues at one time or another, the ground has shifted under their feet.

The longstanding "traditional ten" members of the SEC - and even Arkansas to be blunt about it - are together for the common good. I'll even say that YES, so is South Carolina, but rememer that they don't have that long history of blood letting with Texas that Arky does.

Texas is used to playing the Tony Soprano game of extorting even more money from the hangers-on in their conferences, both the SWC and the Big 12. Because they were the crown jewel of the SWC with all the money and wins, they became the TV draw IN the state of Texas. (The fact nobody outside the state borders other than alumni and Arkansas ever game a rat's behind about the SWC has never penetrated their craniums).

Let's consider the crown jewel of the SEC, Alabama. Coach Bryant PUT US AT A DISADVANTAGE from time to time to keep peace and harmony in the SEC. Bryant was opposed to that Sugar Bowl automatic berth that came about in the mid-70s because he knew Alabama had flexibility to play any non-Rose Bowl game we wanted to play - and his decision more than anything may have cost us the 1977 title. Bryant, of course, like all savvy operators cashed in his chips from time to time when he could, but he aso understood that the ground shifts from time to time, and while it might have been to Alabama's financial advantage to NOT be bound to some of the SEC rules and laws, it was better to not get caught on an island if things changed - as they inevitably did and saw Florida State and Miami suddenly flee to the safety of conferences after years of boasting about being independent.

It was Coach Bryant and Alabama that pulled the SUGAR BOWL out of being a segregated affair of all-Southern teams into the money maker it became (the playoff overturned this but whatever). Mickey Holmes, the director of the game for so long, always noted that if it were not for Bryant and Alabama, the Sugar Bowl would have become the Peach or Liberty Bowl, a second-tier bowl game played sometime after Christmas Day but before January 1. ALABAMA gave value to the Sugar Bowl, not the other way around. And by throwing in with a contract with which he disagreed, Bryant enhanced the value of both the conference and the game.

Which brings us to the punch drunk delusional world of Texas football.

While I know the FANS hate us, the administrators at other schools know full well that we do have to all stick together, which is why almost every single public thing we learn about in SEC votes is virtually always unanimous. There was a reason A/M was excluded from the Texas/OU expansion talks - Sankey and the boys knew how Texas folks played the game, and if they had known they would have leaked it immediately in an effort to stop it. As Johnny Sack once told Chris Moltisanti when he gave unsolicited advice, "You know it wasn't long ago I remember you used to wait in the car, as far as I'm concerned you should still be there ."

That's basically how it all came down.

But you have to understand something else -and I apologize to everyone who doesn't get it but if you're not here, you don't see it on a daily basis so let me give you a parallel: Auburn AT THEIR WORST isn't as delusional as Texas universities are about all this stuff. Auburn's only REAL flaw (and folks spare me the "they pay players" which goes on everywhere and always has) is they frame everything they accomplish in the light of Alabama and then can't understand why they're viewed as Little Brother while acting that way.

Texas, by contrast - you see, they still cling to, "We stole Franchione away from Alabama". Yeah ATM but they think the same. They truly DO believe that the fact we were on sanctions had nothing to do with it, they just quietly came in and got him to agree and they showed us hicks how it works. But other than that one - which actually turned out good for us and bad for them (who would brag about this today, 20 years later?) - where have they outplayed us? They didn't get Saban, the Aggies didn't prevent expansion, what have they really won in the abstract wars?

Texas will not be able to come in and dictate terms to the SEC like they used to do. This will go one of two ways - either Texas will fall in with the other 15 families OR Texas will not only be told to take a hike, but the SEC schools will likely implicitly nod at one another with, "We're not going to schedule games with those imbeciles,, either."

What I'm saying is that Texas is the fresh fish in the prison and in the words of Eddie Albert, the warden, "To get along you go along." Or might I add, they will move along.

We can all be a tad worried maybe about their saber rattling, but it won't amount to much. I'm sure the Big 12 in retrospect wishes they had not split up over the money losing Longhorn Network.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Padre,

As someone who has lived here all but 18 months of the last 20-plus years, you're by no means WRONG here. This is an excellent example of the Texas way - and even though Aggies like to pretend they're above this kind of nonsense with their flexible as Rosie O'Donnell's pantyhose ethics in the so-called Aggie code (which was proven to be a farce when Manziel took money for autographs), these are Siamese twins when it comes to thinking "I gawt money and I'm gawn get my way."

But things have changed and just like houses in Texas, most of which have foundation issues at one time or another, the ground has shifted under their feet.

The longstanding "traditional ten" members of the SEC - and even Arkansas to be blunt about it - are together for the common good. I'll even say that YES, so is South Carolina, but rememer that they don't have that long history of blood letting with Texas that Arky does.

Texas is used to playing the Tony Soprano game of extorting even more money from the hangers-on in their conferences, both the SWC and the Big 12. Because they were the crown jewel of the SWC with all the money and wins, they became the TV draw IN the state of Texas. (The fact nobody outside the state borders other than alumni and Arkansas ever game a rat's behind about the SWC has never penetrated their craniums).

Let's consider the crown jewel of the SEC, Alabama. Coach Bryant PUT US AT A DISADVANTAGE from time to time to keep peace and harmony in the SEC. Bryant was opposed to that Sugar Bowl automatic berth that came about in the mid-70s because he knew Alabama had flexibility to play any non-Rose Bowl game we wanted to play - and his decision more than anything may have cost us the 1977 title. Bryant, of course, like all savvy operators cashed in his chips from time to time when he could, but he aso understood that the ground shifts from time to time, and while it might have been to Alabama's financial advantage to NOT be bound to some of the SEC rules and laws, it was better to not get caught on an island if things changed - as they inevitably did and saw Florida State and Miami suddenly flee to the safety of conferences after years of boasting about being independent.

It was Coach Bryant and Alabama that pulled the SUGAR BOWL out of being a segregated affair of all-Southern teams into the money maker it became (the playoff overturned this but whatever). Mickey Holmes, the director of the game for so long, always noted that if it were not for Bryant and Alabama, the Sugar Bowl would have become the Peach or Liberty Bowl, a second-tier bowl game played sometime after Christmas Day but before January 1. ALABAMA gave value to the Sugar Bowl, not the other way around. And by throwing in with a contract with which he disagreed, Bryant enhanced the value of both the conference and the game.

While I know the FANS hate us, the administrators at other schools know full well that we do have to all stick together, which is why almost every single public thing we learn about in SEC votes is virtually always unanimous. There was a reason A/M was excluded from the Texas/OU expansion talks - Sankey and the boys knew how Texas folks played the game, and if they had known they would have leaked it immediately in an effort to stop it. As Johnny Sack once told Chris Moltisanti when he gave unsolicited advice, "You know it wasn't long ago I remember you used to wait in the car, as far as I'm concerned you should still be there ."

But you have to understand something else -and I apologize to everyone who doesn't get it but if you're not here, you don't see it on a daily basis so let me give you a parallel: Auburn AT THEIR WORST isn't as delusional as Texas universities are about all this stuff. Auburn's only REAL flaw (and folks spare me the "they pay players" which goes on everywhere and always has) is they frame everything they accomplish in the light of Alabama and then can't understand why they're viewed as Little Brother while acting that way.

Texas, by contrast - you see, they still cling to, "We stole Franchione away from Alabama". Yeah ATM but they think the same. They truly DO believe that the fact we were on sanctions had nothing to do with it, they just quietly came in and got him to agree and they showed us hicks how it works. But other than that one - which actually turned out good for us and bad for them (who would brag about this today, 20 years later?) - where have they outplayed us? They didn't get Saban, the Aggies didn't prevent expansion, what have they really won in the abstract wars?

Texas will not be able to come in and dictate terms to the SEC like they used to do. This will go one of two ways - either Texas will fall in with the other 15 families OR Texas will not only be told to take a hike, but the SEC schools will likely implicitly nod at one another with, "We're not going to schedule games with those imbeciles,, either."

What I'm saying is that Texas is the fresh fish in the prison and in the words of Eddie Albert, the warden, "To get along you go along." Or might I add, they will move along.

We can all be a tad worried maybe about their saber rattling, but it won't amount to much. I'm sure the Big 12 in retrospect wishes they had not split up over the money losing Longhorn Network.
I do love me some vernacular, so I’mma gawn steal “gawn” from you. I like that.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Padre,

I'm going to nominate this for post of the month...maybe even year, but I'll have to wait on that one. I hope you are right...but I am sure that they will do everything they can to twist every issue to their advantage.

• Thank You
Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Texas has never been anything but trouble, look at every conference they have been in and any schools who showed any trust in them.
They're not nearly as important as they think they are, though.

See, I recall ten years ago when they were still good and had just dropped a tad when they nearly deep-sixed the Big 12, and their whole thing was how big and bad they were.

I pointed out that without teams willing to play you, you're nothing. Sure, Austin Peay (my alma mater) will take a million bucks to get slaughtered, but what good team with options will play them if they keep ticking them off?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm going to nominate this for post of the month...maybe even year, but I'll have to wait on that one. I hope you are right...but I am sure that they will do everything they can to twist every issue to their advantage.
It's all about leverage, and they don't have it any longer.

It will turn out about like when Jerry Jones was sticking his thumb in the eye of the NFL for a few years with his side deals - and the Cowboys went over the side and haven't been relevant since. You have to have a VCR to even see their last Super Bowl full game tape.

:)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...I pointed out that without teams willing to play you, you're nothing. Sure, Austin Peay (my alma mater) will take a million bucks to get slaughtered, but what good team with options will play them if they keep ticking them off?
Could be extenuating circumstances for gettin' them Guvnahs on the schedule this year in West Georgia, which might also result in a retrofitting of your alma mater's most famous competitive exhortation:

"'Barn door's open - let's go, Peay!"

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
They're not nearly as important as they think they are, though.

See, I recall ten years ago when they were still good and had just dropped a tad when they nearly deep-sixed the Big 12, and their whole thing was how big and bad they were.

I pointed out that without teams willing to play you, you're nothing. Sure, Austin Peay (my alma mater) will take a million bucks to get slaughtered, but what good team with options will play them if they keep ticking them off?
Let's go Peay!

• Haha
Reactions: bamagradinATL

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas has run its course.

They were the SWC. Then, with the Big 12, they ran things, but not to the extent of the SWC.

Now, as the Big 12 has waned to the point of irrelevance and they've decided they have to migrate, the only league out there that they could conceivably have a chance to "run" is the Pac 12 and that league is also dying.

They aren't going to dictate the Big Ten, the SEC, or even the ACC (Tobacco Road runs that league).

What we'll have to deal with are the message board loudmouths who have crowed for years about how Texas could buy any coach it wants (yet they still end up with upstarts or has beens). But I do not see any real threat of them "taking over the league." For example, if the SEC football championship ends up getting played at Jerry World, that will only be because the entire league decides it's in its best interest and it won't be on a permanent basis.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.