Brett Favre in shady deal with MS governor

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My wife can attest that I’m prone to telling folks I work in ‘waste management’ when asked what I do for a living - not because everyone claims to know my job better than I do but rather because I hate answering the immediate question “have you worked with anyone I know?”

That said, if that question does come up my normal response is “probabaly not.”

😀
Admit it. You just don't want anyone to know that you are responsible for bringing Mmmbop into the world.

Reactions: 92tide and Jon

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
back in the dotcom days every time I would tell a doctor I was in Tech it was "I have the greatest idea" and I would get bogged in such BS I started telling people I was a plumber
Or the ”entrepreneur“ who says “You should make xyz app. I’ll take 50% for the idea. It will make bank.”

The most recent one was an app that would let truckers view and reserve parking spots at truck stops all across America.

Reactions: Jon

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gee, and here I sit getting PTSD from the online scholars who think learning a few Greek words turns them into a world-class John Calvin or Martin Luther but who couldn't parse a participle to save their lives. At some point I got used to it, though - and then I realized why ACTUAL scholars don't engage the rank and file with discussions. And that's just in my religion degree - which admittedly is an abstract field open to some level of interpretation, but it's NOT as complicated as folks make it. When God makes an OT promise to Israel, it has nothing to do with 21st century America yet that's a controversial take right there.

Then there's the laboratory.

Let me put it this way for you: NURSES often don't know laboratory beyond the basics, and I'm fine with that. I don't know their pharmacological dosing like they do because it isn't my field - yet I HAVE been to Med school and HAVE taken Pharmacology, so I have a better handle on it than almost any lab tech you're going to know. But it's not my place to make that call, either.

About a year ago, I called up a nurse with a notification. What had happened was my instrument was reporting a potassium incompatible with human life (>10.0) and a calcium below linearity (<5.0). I knew immediately what had happened. Someone had drawn blood in one of those purple top EDTA tubes and poured it into a green top tube with lithium heparin anticoagulant. The EDTA bound up the calcium (which makes blood clot) to prevent clotting - and the material is actually called POTASSIUM EDTA in the tube (K2EDTA or K3EDTA). So it spiked the potassium and lowered the calcium. (One does not have to be particularly bright to understand what I'm saying here).

So I call up the nurse and tell her, "It appears that someone drew the purple top tube and then put some of it into the green top tube." I'll never forget her response: "You can tell that?" I'm thinking, "You're a nurse and don't already KNOW that?"

And yes, folks, we can tell if you just run hot water into the cup and pass it off as urine. The specific gravity and lack of creatinine are dead giveaways.

Don't think I'm picking on nurses, though. Quite frankly, many of them keep the more inept doctors from killing you.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I once watched two young brothers, both competent pilots, take off into the blackest storm front I've ever seen. They didn't even make it out of the vicinity of the airport. They had a thriving company and were both in their thirties. I was involved because a company I represented actually rented them the plane - and advised them against going, as did the tower. I had placed each plane in a separate LLC, for obvious reasons. The inevitable lawsuits were briefly threatened...
I was always on a company plane for twenty plus years with a great pilot that I respected tremendously. We encountered a lot of tough and perilous weather. We had a saying " There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Or the ”entrepreneur“ who says “You should make xyz app. I’ll take 50% for the idea. It will make bank.”

The most recent one was an app that would let truckers view and reserve parking spots at truck stops all across America.
oh yeah, it absolutely was not restricted to doctors. All kinds of people, including and this is 100% True, John Wayne Bobbit, who a guy who worked for me "met in a bar" (read as at the bunny ranch, eww) and then tried to get us involved with. Can say without any hesitation Bobbit is the dumbest person I have ever spoken to. Pushed that "opportunity" away as quickly as possible and then got rid of the employee

Reactions: 92tide

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
oh yeah, it absolutely was not restricted to doctors. All kinds of people, including and this is 100% True, John Wayne Bobbit, who a guy who worked for me "met in a bar" (read as at the bunny ranch, eww) and then tried to get us involved with. Can say without any hesitation Bobbit is the dumbest person I have ever spoken to. Pushed that "opportunity" away as quickly as possible and then got rid of the employee
This thread reminds me of the days when Joe the plumber was campaigning. Was it for president?

When approached by his fans/supporters, I would encourage them to see if he did medical work.

While I don't agree with his politics, Clint Eastwood had a point. "A man needs to know his limitations."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I always wonder why seemingly smart people are dumb enough to fall for stupid things. Like every now and then some one you know will try to get you involved in some dumb pyramid scheme that they fell for ." If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is. I dont know if its more ego or just stupidity

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It can be so frustrating when people are not sharp enough to recognize my brilliance. How could they not want to take advantage of my wisdom?

If I had ever been wrong I might understand it. 💨

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Someone had drawn blood in one of those purple top EDTA tubes and poured it into a green top tube with lithium heparin anticoagulant.
I use EDTA when doing endodontics (root canals). It's ethyldiaminetetraacetic acid. I place it in the canal after having agitated and removed NaOCl from the tooth. The EDTA removes the "smear layer" which is a layer of bacteria that gets trapped in dentinal tubules. It is a chelating agent that softens the dentin and increases dentine permeability allowing the residual bacteria to be flushed away more easily.

I'm curious, is this the same EDTA as you are referencing?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can only imagine what kind of business Bobbit would have been involved in. Even if he wasn’t completely stupid, I wouldn’t want to be involved in something like that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I use EDTA when doing endodontics (root canals). It's ethyldiaminetetraacetic acid. I place it in the canal after having agitated and removed NaOCl from the tooth. The EDTA removes the "smear layer" which is a layer of bacteria that gets trapped in dentinal tubules. It is a chelating agent that softens the dentin and increases dentine permeability allowing the residual bacteria to be flushed away more easily.

I'm curious, is this the same EDTA as you are referencing?
Same chemical, yes.

They use it in those purple top tubes, combine it with potassium and it binds calcium to prevent blood from clotting in the tube.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I can only imagine what kind of business Bobbit would have been involved in. Even if he wasn’t completely stupid, I wouldn’t want to be involved in something like that.
Near exactly what I said to my business partner. "don't care what the opportunity is to make money off that name, I am not tying my name to his"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.