Jay Wright Retires - Coaches Leaving Early a Trend?

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn

Parrish is on to something here.
I think you're right, as I have said before and I get flamed for it but if anything drives Coach Saban to retire sooner than he wants to it'll be because of nil, but he adapts better than any coach so we shall see

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Jay Wright is 61 (will be 62 later this year) and has been a HC for nearly three decades and a coach for nearly 40 years and people think he is retiring early? I guess in comparison to guys like Coach K, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, etc, I guess that is an argument to be made but I don't think he is retiring early, as much as he is retiring on his own terms.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So a guy cannot even retire anymore? Maybe he just wanted to retire and enjoy it and not work until he dropped dead.
Amen to that, brother. It’s exactly why I retired.

I was never a coach of any sport, but I did spend about a decade in a highly stressful and thankless job. It about broke me. The last few years of my career after the decade of hell weren’t so bad. Still, I found that, kind of like what I’ve read about time in prison, that sort of experience tends to stay with you even when you’re no longer in the situation. It was a solid two years before I didn’t have a physical reaction to the phone ringing.

Then I started to see the first smattering of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances develop chronic, life limiting, or terminal conditions. My own family medical history has some weak points, and I started thinking, “Do I really want to spend my last healthy years doing this?”

Obviously, the answer was, “&*@#%^%^, no!” So the instant I qualified for all possible benefits, I retired and ran out so fast I about sucked the doors shut behind me. Even though Covid threw a monkey wrench into travel plans, I haven’t regretted the decision for one nano-second.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I was never a coach of any sport, but I did spend about a decade in a highly stressful and thankless job. It about broke me. The last few years of my career after the decade of hell weren’t so bad. Still, I found that, kind of like what I’ve read about time in prison, that sort of experience tends to stay with you even when you’re no longer in the situation. It was a solid two years before I didn’t have a physical reaction to the phone ringing.

Then I started to see the first smattering of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances develop chronic, life limiting, or terminal conditions. My own family medical history has some weak points, and I started thinking, “Do I really want to spend my last healthy years doing this?”

Obviously, the answer was, “&*@#%^%^, no!” So the instant I qualified for all possible benefits, I retired and ran out so fast I about sucked the doors shut behind me. Even though Covid threw a monkey wrench into travel plans, I haven’t regretted the decision for one nano-second.
I have heard architects never retire. This one is going to. I am setting myself up now that I will be able to do it in my early 60s.

Reactions: CB4

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Anytime a system changes, you'll see some natural turnover/retires. But, yeah, 40 years in any stressful job is plenty.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think everyone approaching Wright’s age is stepping back and reevaluating things, and that is regardless of occupation. I am Jay’s age and I know I am. I once thought I would continue in my current role until age 70. Not any longer. My job, while stressful, isn’t near as what high profile coaches experience. Yes, the portal and NIL have contributed, but COVID has played a huge role in this re-evaluation in college athletics just as it has in other careers.

I guess there is a reason there isn’t a trailer hitch on a hearse.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
"Early" retirement by definition only since most people retire on average at 65 y/o or at least that is the best timing for the govt to pay you. Jay Wright is not depending on that check from the govt. It will be interesting to see if he can stay retired.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
"Early" retirement by definition only since most people retire on average at 65 y/o or at least that is the best timing for the govt to pay you. Jay Wright is not depending on that check from the govt. It will be interesting to see if he can stay retired.
Medicare does start at age 65, but full Social Security doesn’t start until later. It’s currently phasing in to age 67. Mrs. Basket Case just turned 65, but won’t reach full SSI benefits until 66 years, 6 months. I’m 63, and won’t reach that point until 66 years, 10 months.

You can file for SSI benefits as early as 62, but they’re materially reduced, and the farther ahead of full benefit age you file, the greater the reduction.

So unless you have reason to believe your lifespan will be shorter than average, or you literally have no other options for putting food on the table, it makes strong financial sense to wait at least until full benefit age. Benefits actually increase at roughly 8% a year, up to filing at age 70, at which point they stop rising. So if you can wait until 70 (I won’t, but some will), that’s the absolute best.

Note: The benefit increases up to age 70, only if you don’t file until then. Once you file, whenever that is, your benefit is set.

As with anything governmental, there are some, “Yeah, but” specialized provisions. And everybody’s situation is different. But the above is generally applicable for most people.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Honestly, I think some of these guys who are getting head coaching gigs at younger ages will start to retire even sooner. I know a lot of these guys are just addicted to coaching and have trouble walking away, but many of these guys have enough financial security for ten lifetimes by the time they are 40 or 45. I'm surprised there aren't more who leave earlier than they do. I want to retire before I'm 60; in fact, I would like to have retired ten years ago, but I do not have the annual income that has allowed it to happen. If I had one year of Saban's contract, I would be gone and enjoy some traveling and relaxing. Sadly, I don't. Hahahaha!

Last edited:

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Jay Wright is 61 (will be 62 later this year) and has been a HC for nearly three decades and a coach for nearly 40 years and people think he is retiring early? I guess in comparison to guys like Coach K, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, etc, I guess that is an argument to be made but I don't think he is retiring early, as much as he is retiring on his own terms.
He clearly has been coaching a very long time. But, he seemed to be in his prime and still seems young to me. This one surprised me. I understand why but it surpised me.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
He clearly has been coaching a very long time. But, he seemed to be in his prime and still seems young to me. This one surprised me. I understand why but it surpised me.
Wright himself said he wasn't at the top of his game this past season. It was definitely a case of Wright rather leave the game a year early instead of a year late.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I retired when I got 31 years in. I was 60. (LEO)
I retired the second time when I was 70. (CITY)

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Jay Bilas said in a recent interview that Villanova doesn't take transfers, which makes Wright's job tough because he can sure lose them. He's not really a one-and-done guy either - he prefers possibly lower-ranked recruits who stay for a few years and gel as a team. It may not be the main reasons for his departure, but it's logical to figure the new realities of CBB had some impact on his choice. Too bad, I think he's a terrific coach. Wouldn't be surprising if he one day came back to coach in the NBA.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Jay Bilas said in a recent interview that Villanova doesn't take transfers, which makes Wright's job tough because he can sure lose them. He's not really a one-and-done guy either - he prefers possibly lower-ranked recruits who stay for a few years and gel as a team. It may not be the main reasons for his departure, but it's logical to figure the new realities of CBB had some impact on his choice. Too bad, I think he's a terrific coach. Wouldn't be surprising if he one day came back to coach in the NBA.
Funny that you say that because I have heard some stuff.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.