News Article: Task Force To Big-Money Boosters: NIL Sanctions Could Be Coming

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Task force to big-money boosters: NIL sanctions could be coming - Sports Illustrated

University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.

The new directives will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era, officials say. Under a long-held NCAA rule, boosters are a representative arm of an athletic department and are not supposed to associate with or persuade prospects.

The guidelines, still in draft form, outline that booster-backed collectives should be prohibited from associating with high school prospects and college transfers, potentially opening the door for contentious legal challenges between the association and booster groups.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You have to look at it as leveling the playing field. When your big money boosters tell you to crack down so they can save a little money, you listen to them. This will be a way of reigning in the couple of universities that have gone crazy. The majority will rule because nobody else wants to keep up with these Joneses. It might have been a huge mistake to come out of the gate spending millions and accelerating the timeline that other schools would be against the nonsense that is NIL.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You have to look at it as leveling the playing field. When your big money boosters tell you to crack down so they can save a little money, you listen to them. This will be a way of reigning in the couple of universities that have gone crazy. The majority will rule because nobody else wants to keep up with these Joneses. It might have been a huge mistake to come out of the gate spending millions and accelerating the timeline that other schools would be against the nonsense that is NIL.
All that assumes that university admins maintain a united front. Whether you’re talking about the Top 40 programs, the P5, the P2 (SEC and B1G), or 130 or so D1 teams, they currently have no economic incentive to do that.

I predict a breakaway of 40 or so schools, operating under an NFL model, with a players union negotiating with owners / University presidents.

4Q Basket Case over/under on timing: 2.5 years. Meanwhile, chaos

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
All that assumes that university admins maintain a united front. Whether you’re talking about the Top 40 programs, the P5, the P2 (SEC and B1G), or 130 or so D1 teams, they currently have no economic incentive to do that.

I predict a breakaway of 40 or so schools, operating under an NFL model, with a players union negotiating with owners / University presidents.

4Q Basket Case over/under on timing: 2.5 years. Meanwhile, chaos
2025 is my guess. I time it with the arrival of Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. By then the NCAA will be about ready to burst.
I figure even a couple of scared schools will try to get on board. They don't seam to realize the SEC AND B1G will make a lot of decisions for the new group.
I'm probably wrong, but what if I'm not?

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
2025 is my guess. I time it with the arrival of Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. By then the NCAA will be about ready to burst.
I figure even a couple of scared schools will try to get on board. They don't seam to realize the SEC AND B1G will make a lot of decisions for the new group.
I'm probably wrong, but what if I'm not?
It looks as though some of these conference moves could be happening as soon as 2023. Cincy, BYU, UCF and Houston are said to be working to negotiate down their respective buyouts and exit for the Big 12 by July of 2023.

Also the PTB in Norman and Austin have made it well known they have no desire to hang around for the 2023 and 2024 seasons if these other teams are added early.

NIL certainly could speed this process up.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Task force to big-money boosters: NIL sanctions could be coming - Sports Illustrated

"NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes."
I thought that was the whole point of NIL. What in the freaking world were these idiots expecting to happen? Everyone with a quarter of a brain saw this coming from miles away.

The NCAA is toothless and trying to add guardrails now will just push the top tier schools away sooner. So, in that case, bring it on; the death of the NCAA is a plus in my book.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I thought that was the whole point of NIL. What in the freaking world were these idiots expecting to happen? Everyone with a quarter of a brain saw this coming from miles away.

The NCAA is toothless and trying to add guardrails now will just push the top tier schools away sooner. So, in that case, bring it on; the death of the NCAA is a plus in my book.
And therein lies the problem. Neither talking heads nor the NCAA have a quarter of a brain.

The primary influence on public opinion regarding both the transfer portal and NIL was talking heads (yeah, I know there were lawsuits, but those don't usually drive the zeitgeist). The NCAA didn't see the legal train coming -- 9-0 in SCOTUS....in today's polarized world, you can't get a 9-0 vote on whether the sun rises in the east. They (the NCAA) didn't get out in front of the issue when it was still manageable, and the organization is now essentially irrelevant.

So you have sports talk shows and the NCAA driving the bus. Neither has even close to a quarter of a brain, and we now have unbridled chaos.

In fairness to the talking heads, I have heard a few admit that when they advocated the combination of NIL and transfer portal, they never envisioned the situation we have now, which I've read that over 80% of the country doesn't like.

Well, it's nice they admit to not being able to see beyond the microphone in front of their mouths, but they played a major part in getting us to where we are. How about engaging mind before opening mouth next time?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.