Coach Saban goes off on programs buying players (A&M, Jackson State, and Miami mentioned)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The 0% is only applying to whatever fraction of their games are played in the state of Texas. I guarantee the states will be going after this - deeming it to be earned over 12+ games and wanting their piece of whatever portion of that is "earned" during the game in their state.
I don't think states will be able to lay claim to money earned in NIL deals the way states lay claim to the salaries NFL players make. California gets some money from Aaron Rodgers if the Packers play LA but I don't believe they get any of his endorsement money.

Last edited:

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
What Coach Saban said needed to be said, loudly, so everyone can hear. However, it does seem like with the specific allegations he's opened himself up to criticism, or much worse. I could see:
1. Saban gets fired
2. Saban and/or the university is forced to issue a public apology
3. Saban gets sanctioned/suspended by the conference
4. Bama gets sanctioned by the conference
5. Saban is asked to retire in lieu of any of the above
6. Saban and/or the university gets sued for defamation

On the plus side, if nothing on the above list happens, we'll know he was spot on and that all of the mentioned schools are fully aware he was spot on. At that point, we wait for the NCAA to start doing their jobs. If what we've heard is true, T&AM, UTK, Miami, Jackson state and USC would be great places for the NCAA to start setting an example that schools won't soon forget.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
What Coach Saban said needed to be said, loudly, so everyone can hear. However, it does seem like with the specific allegations he's opened himself up to criticism, or much worse. I could see:
1. Saban gets fired

On the plus side, if nothing on the above list happens, we'll know he was spot on and that all of the mentioned schools are fully aware he was spot on. At that point, we wait for the NCAA to start doing their jobs. If what we've heard is true, T&AM, UTK, Miami, Jackson state and USC would be great places for the NCAA to start setting an example that schools won't soon forget.
I don't think Coach Saban says anything unless he was "sure" it was done. He is always in control.

Reactions: The Ols

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
1. Saban gets fired

Lawsuits = discovery; nobody wants that

Reactions: JohnD

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
It seems like Jimbo heard a different meaning than I did in Coach's comments. It seems like Coach said these schools facilitated NIL deals (if they signed) for recruits. Jimbo seems to have heard Coach say A&M paid out specifically. Thus his mentioning of breaking no Texas laws.

Am I misinterpreting either of them? If not, Jimbo is blustering over something he hopes sounds similar enough that the press won't notice.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I don't think states will be able to lay claim to money earned in NIL deals the way states lay claim to the salaries NFL players make. California gets some money from Aaron Rodgers if the Packers play LA but I don't believe they get any of his endorsement money.
And you might be surprised. In recent years states like California have upped their game in regards to collecting what they feel is theirs

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
oh man oh man

offseason has become so interesting suddenly

and I missed first 11 pages here .. that is like missing first qtr of a game

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It seems like Jimbo heard a different meaning than I did in Coach's comments. It seems like Coach said these schools facilitated NIL deals (if they signed) for recruits. Jimbo seems to have heard Coach say A&M paid out specifically. Thus his mentioning of breaking no Texas laws.

Am I misinterpreting either of them? If not, Jimbo is blustering over something he hopes sounds similar enough that the press won't notice.
I believe you are interpreting it correctly. Jimbo's brain does not rise above a 3rd grader's level of comprehension.

Actually, that is an insult to 3rd graders and I apologize.

• Haha
Reactions: Perrett4Bama

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
1. Saban gets fired

Bruh…

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A&M AD, same AD that was at Ole Miss during the infamous Freeze era and denied any wrongdoing at that time, is now saying the SEC has to discipline Coach Saban. Oh yes and this same AD also leaked the UT/OU to SEC in an effort to sabotage it.

A&M has become the absolute laughingstock and clown show of the SEC. Never should have invited them. And here all this time I was thinking Mizzou was the dud of an addition back then. And the thing is.. Coach Saban did not break any SEC bylaws in his comments. Never alleged cheating, in actuality.

Me thinks Bjork and Fisher doth protest too much.

T Bone

1st Team
I might be at that game on 10/8. Going to be fun for sure.

Texas 8&4 may be my least favorite team in all college football. And, to think we beat them last year on a last second pass from a sophomore QB that has since transferred to them, but won't start. Truth is stranger than fiction.
well played sir!
Texas_A&M_University_logo.jpg

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Alabama has no billionaires (neither does MS).
Texas has 48. Florida has 44.

Alabama has about 95,000 households that can be considered millionaires.
Texas has 650,000. Florida has 500,000.

If it's a spending race then Alabama is in trouble. A billionaire could spend 1/10th of 1% of a $billion and that would be enough to give each recruit $40,000. That's pocket change.
While this is an interesting stat, it should be noted that not all rich folks in Texas necessarily want to give money to college athletes. And not all wealthy Alabama Alumni live in Alabama.

In fact, Auburn has a fairly wealthy alum that lives out in Palo Alto, CA....

Point being that while that is an interesting fact, it is not totally indicative of a massive gap that exists between people that would be willing to fund Alabama football vs. those that would be willing to fund Texas / Texas A&M football. Alabama (and really all schools) have wealthy, successful people that live all over the country.

Alabama seems to have done just fine before NIL in the football spending race (facilities, coaches salaries, etc). I don't think we'll have a difficult time continuing to spend on football.

Last edited:

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
1. Saban gets fired

Jimbo is that you?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Saban didn't say anything that could get him in any real trouble. Sankey may call him and ask him to chill out, but that's it. He may end up apologizing, but then again he may not since the two people he would apologize to have said much, much worse things in response.
He didn't say anything that isn't well documented in print media as fact. Sankey isn't in a position to call him up for stating facts. Fisher and Prime Time know these are facts as well and all they can do is to gesticulate and throw spit in the air over having their hands in the cookie jar. Sankey and the other league officials should be working to save college sports before Congress and the courts become fixated on the mess that has been created.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
As many have said on here what Coach Saban said was true but probably could've came across a little better but that's not Coach, Jimbo said he and whoever has coached for Saban knows how he gets players well grow a pair and tell us you had you're soap box

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.