Sporting Event (One Bama FB, One Non) You Wish You Attended In Person

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This came up on that bastion of impartiality and goodness known as Twitter yesterday (but with my own twist here).

A) Name an Alabama football game you DID NOT ATTEND in person but wish you had been able to do so.

1) The 1993 Sugar Bowl - I lived in Biloxi at the time and had the chance; I didn't take it.
2) The 2017 National Championship (Tua to Devonta) - we were on a leave ban due to an upcoming inspection.
3) 1985 Iron Bowl
4) 1989 Alabama at Penn State

B) Name a non-Alabama sporting event you DID NOT ATTEND but wish you had been able to do so.

1) Game 6 of the 1975 World Series - where Fisk homered off the fair pole.
2) The Miracle on Ice hockey game
3) 1991 Orange Bowl

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good choices, Selma!

Alabama football: I’d go with the 1993 Sugar Bowl. Mrs. Basket Case and I had recently bought a house. We had a chance to go, but decided we needed to spend the money on the house.

Non-Alabama football: Miracle on Ice. If you aren’t old enough to remember the world as it sat then, you can’t understand the significance of that win — it extended far beyond sports. There was so much bad stuff that happened during that time frame and the period leading up to 1980. Stagflation, the hostages in Iran, gasoline shortages, the debacle ending Vietnam, the worst quality American cars of all time, America suffering international embarrassments seemingly daily. It was looking like the Russians just might win the Cold War. I’m not sure if the disastrous attempt to rescue the hostages in Iran was before or after the game. Regardless, we had just been beaten down on so many fronts for what seemed like an eternity.

I can’t say that one hockey game erased all that, but it was a huge morale booster for the whole country.

I’d also add Jack Nicklaus’ last win at Augusta in 1986. Came from way behind on the last 9 for a highly improbable win.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yes, the 1978 Belmont.
I remember crying as a boy. I was born in 1968 so I was 9-10 years old. I pulled so hard for Alydar that year. My Dad was all-in for him that year so I followed suit. He lost the Derby by a length. The Preakness by a head. He lost the Belmont by a nose.

Crushing loss. But the race was epic.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Alabama football… I guess the 85 Iron Bowl,2012 SECCG, or 1993 Sugar Bowl. Side note I wish I was there for Game 3 of the 2012 WCWS Finals

Others events:

1) Sid Bream slide
2) Miracle on Ice
3) 1996 CWS Final (LSU vs Miami)
4) The Shot (1992)

Reactions: LSUgrad2BamaDad

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Bama sporting event - probably the NC game when you beat UGA on Tua to Smith

non Alabama - 81usaf92 included the LSU Miami CWS game where LSU won in the bottom of the 9th on Warren Morris’ 2 out 2 run homer. I agree, and I actually should have been there with better planning. My wife and I, pre kids, went to go visit my sister in Chicago and very good college friends in KC. I planned it around when the Cubs and royals would be in town. It was 2 weeks before the cws. It wasn’t something I was thinking about at the time, but omaha is just a 3 hr drive from KC. My friend that I visited in KC went to the game.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bama sporting event - probably the NC game when you beat UGA on Tua to Smith
I was at that game and I have mixed opinions of it. Yes the ending is one of the all time greats, and sneaking in without a ticket is a story that I will never forget, but living through it was tough until the final play. I in particular hate close Alabama games, and I hate them when they are on the road with jerk fans. And Georgia fans were horrible that night. I was completely wore out.

non Alabama - 81usaf92 included the LSU Miami CWS game where LSU won in the bottom of the 9th on Warren Morris’ 2 out 2 run homer. I agree, and I actually should have been there with better planning. My wife and I, pre kids, went to go visit my sister in Chicago and very good college friends in KC. I planned it around when the Cubs and royals would be in town. It was 2 weeks before the cws. It wasn’t something I was thinking about at the time, but omaha is just a 3 hr drive from KC. My friend that I visited in KC went to the game.
Its probably the greatest college baseball game ever, and even though its LSU and Miami baseball fandom is a different animal than football and basketball. Fans typically arent jerks to one another and go to watch a good game. Ofcourse you have your bandwagon trailer trash fanbases like Tennessee and Florida St who show you how bad they can get but generally everyone is civil and will gladly raise the other's hand even in defeat. Its why I enjoy to going to Hoover every year and venture out to other fanbases ballparks without any real fear of getting heckled to death and called every name in the book like in football games. I went to Starkville this year, and its probably nicer than most MLB ballparks. I plan to go to the Box next year if Im still down here.

I lived in Bellevue for 6 years and went to the CWS every year but one. I saw the last LSU championship in 08 and saw the end of the Blatt and the move to the new stadium. Im kinda divided in how Omaha has changed in going to a 3 game series over a do are die final and the new stadium. On one hand, the new stadium is much better than Blatt and the best of 3 finals feels more like a NC competition than the do or die. I still maintain that LSU only won in 97 because Alabama was forced to play 3 straight days vs Miami while LSU got to rest 3 days to prepare for the final game (but it pays to be in the winners bracket). But on the other hand, the Blatt's outside atmosphere with beer gardens and tailgating and a do or die final game has a certain atmosphere that the new format and new stadium has yet to replicate. It goes back to the whole argument between tradition vs comfort and fairness in college sports. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bama game:

1. Coach Bryant's #315
2. Alabama beats ND (Biscuit sack game)
3. '09 NC game against UT

Non:

1. Any of the Laker/Celtic game sevens from the 80's (I was a huge NBA/Lakers fan then)
2. 1986 Masters
3. Miracle on Ice - kinda wish our country could feel that way again!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was at that game and I have mixed opinions of it. Yes the ending is one of the all time greats, and sneaking in without a ticket is a story that I will never forget, but living through it was tough until the final play. I in particular hate close Alabama games, and I hate them when they are on the road with jerk fans. And Georgia fans were horrible that night. I was completely wore out.

Its probably the greatest college baseball game ever, and even though its LSU and Miami baseball fandom is a different animal than football and basketball. Fans typically arent jerks to one another and go to watch a good game. Ofcourse you have your bandwagon trailer trash fanbases like Tennessee and Florida St who show you how bad they can get but generally everyone is civil and will gladly raise the other's hand even in defeat. Its why I enjoy to going to Hoover every year and venture out to other fanbases ballparks without any real fear of getting heckled to death and called every name in the book like in football games. I went to Starkville this year, and its probably nicer than most MLB ballparks. I plan to go to the Box next year if Im still down here.

I lived in Bellevue for 6 years and went to the CWS every year but one. I saw the last LSU championship in 08 and saw the end of the Blatt and the move to the new stadium. Im kinda divided in how Omaha has changed in going to a 3 game series over a do are die final and the new stadium. On one hand, the new stadium is much better than Blatt and the best of 3 finals feels more like a NC competition than the do or die. I still maintain that LSU only won in 97 because Alabama was forced to play 3 straight days vs Miami while LSU got to rest 3 days to prepare for the final game (but it pays to be in the winners bracket). But on the other hand, the Blatt's outside atmosphere with beer gardens and tailgating and a do or die final game has a certain atmosphere that the new format and new stadium has yet to replicate. It goes back to the whole argument between tradition vs comfort and fairness in college sports. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
To be fair uga fans are terrible every night, every day, every hour, every minute, every second. Not just that night. And believe it or not they have gotten worse.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
'81, I concur about the game itself (especially the first half). I remember feeling so frustrated.

When Tua came in I started to feel hope with the immediate success he had moving the chains and scoring points. But there were also huge letdowns during the second half too. But, I don't guess I'll ever be as elated as I was over Tua to Smitty.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
'81, I concur about the game itself (especially the first half). I remember feeling so frustrated.

When Tua came in I started to feel hope with the immediate success he had moving the chains and scoring points. But there were also huge letdowns during the second half too. But, I don't guess I'll ever be as elated as I was over Tua to Smitty.
I attended the MSU game that year as well. Between the two games I would rather suffer through the MSU game again over the NCG. Yes one moment means more and has a walkoff of walkoffs but I wasn’t constantly worried that one drive was going to be the end of us in the MSU game. People probably forget that after our first touchdown they (UGA)threw a home run ball for a touchdown. That stuck with everyone in the stadium all through the game and probably most Alabama fans thought we were done after Tua’s interception. Plus the MSU game was a better game. The 2017 NCG is one of the more boring NCGs outside of the last 6 minutes.

Glad I got to see the pass in person but under no circumstances would I choose to relive that game in person again without knowing the outcome. I would much prefer to go to 2020, 2009, and 2011 over it.

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
Bama games, not considering NCs... you lose or you meet expectations.
'85 Iron Bowl.... how not?
'96 LSU, previously little used freshman named Alexander inserted late in
2nd qtr to spell starters in a scoreless match. Took over the game with 291 yards
and 4 touchdowns.
'09 Clemson, a slow shredding of #9 Clemson announcing the Saban dynasty's arrival.
'09 Georgia, a fast shredding of #3 Georgia confirming arrival of new sheriff.

Non-Bama all sports...
'73 Belmont, Secretariat wins by 31 lengths. Grayy-ttest horrse evuuurrr!
'61 #61 by Maris.. nothing since counts.
'36 Jesse Owens (Alabama connection) tweaks the Evil 'Stache.
532 bc South Italy Super Regional Olympic Trials where Milo of Cortona won the Bovine
Clean and Jerk with his patented Three Heifer Hoist, an accomplishment STILL not
matched in the modern Olympics!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Alabama games:

1. 1992 Sugar Bowl
2. 2009 SEC Championship
3. 1999 Florida game in the Swamp

Non Alabama sporting events:

1. Yankees clinching the WS in Game 6 against Atlanta in 1996 after going down 2 games to 0. For all you Braves fans, lay off me. My dad was a Yankees fan from childhood. We're talking Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, etc. We bonded over that moment.

2. Dallas Cowboys winning Super Bowl 27 vs. the Bills in Pasadena. Again... lay off me. Daddy was a huge Cowboys fan as well from way back, mainly because of Lee Roy Jordan. So again, another proud franchise that hadn't done much since the 1970s before I was born, has a rebirth when I'm a kid in the 1990s. I reckon because of how my dad and I bonded over sports, the 1990s may well be my favorite sports decade, despite Alabama's struggles at times, and despite the absolute dominance of the Nick Saban era.

3. I'd probably say the Miracle on Ice hockey game here for all the obvious reasons. I've attended one hockey game in my life and it was a really cool experience. I would love to have been present for all of the surrounding drama of that game.

Reactions: Windsortide

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Alabama games:

1. 1992 Sugar Bowl
2. 2009 SEC Championship

1. Yankees clinching the WS in Game 6 against Atlanta in 1996 after going down 2 games to 0. For all you Braves fans, lay off me. My dad was a Yankees fan from childhood. We're talking Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, etc. We bonded over that moment.

2. Dallas Cowboys winning Super Bowl 27 vs. the Bills in Pasadena. Again... lay off me. Daddy was a huge Cowboys fan as well from way back, mainly because of Lee Roy Jordan. So again, another proud franchise that hadn't done much since the 1970s before I was born, has a rebirth when I'm a kid in the 1990s. I reckon because of how my dad and I bonded over sports, the 1990s may well be my favorite sports decade, despite Alabama's struggles at times, and despite the absolute dominance of the Nick Saban era.

3. I'd probably say the Miracle on Ice hockey game here for all the obvious reasons. I've attended one hockey game in my life and it was a really cool experience. I would love to have been present for all of the surrounding drama of that game.
Go Braves..hehehehe😘

• Haha
Reactions: TideEngineer08

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Alabama games:

1. 1992 Sugar Bowl
2. 2009 SEC Championship

I knew there was a reason to not like you.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.