Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
SMH

Not surprising that a police department too timid to storm one teenager with a gun would turn to a biker gang to keep public order.

They were trying to keep the reporters from interacting with the families. I wonder if the reporters have any idea how many children were shot or bled out while the police dithered at the classroom door.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and seebell

Huckleberry

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I think some combination of these proposals would have some positive effect:

1) ban the purchase of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets
2) allow the police and other citizens to seek a court order to temporarily confiscate guns from people who are deemed an immediate threat to themselves or others
3) expand the federal background check law to also apply to gun shows and online sales
4) require that all firearms be kept locked, unloaded, and stored separately from ammunition, as well as make owners who fail to follow the requirement criminally and civilly liable for actions taken (as a result of said failure) by minors and others not allowed by law to posess firearms
5) ban the sale of any firearm to a person under the age of 21
5) ban the sale of "assault weapon" as defined under HR 1808:

The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:
“(A) A semiautomatic rifle that—
“(i) has a magazine that is not a fixed magazine; and
“(ii) does have any 1 of the following:
“(I) A pistol grip.
“(II) A forward grip.
“(III) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, or is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of the weapon.
“(IV) A grenade launcher.
“(V) A barrel shroud.
“(VI) A threaded barrel.
“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
“(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic firearm but not convert the semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun.
“(D) A semiautomatic pistol that—
“(I) A threaded barrel.
“(II) A second pistol grip.
“(III) A barrel shroud.
“(IV) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
“(V) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
“(VI) A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when unloaded.
“(VII) A stabilizing brace or similar component.
“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
“(F) A semiautomatic shotgun that—
“(i) has the capacity to utilize a magazine that is not a fixed magazine; and
“(I) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.
“(II) A pistol grip or bird's head grip.
“(III) A fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds.
“(IV) The ability to accept a detachable magazine.
“(V) A forward grip.
“(VI) A grenade launcher.
“(G) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

2) allow the police and other citizens to seek a court order to temporarily confiscate guns from people who are deemed an immediate threat to themselves or others
3) expand the federal background check law to also apply to gun shows and online sales
4) require that all firearms be kept locked, unloaded, and stored separately from ammunition, as well as make owners who fail to follow the requirement criminally and civilly liable for actions taken (as a result of said failure) by minors and others not allowed by law to posess firearms

The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:
“(I) A pistol grip.
“(II) A forward grip.
“(III) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, or is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of the weapon.
“(V) A barrel shroud.
“(VI) A threaded barrel.
“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
“(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic firearm but not convert the semiautomatic firearm into a machinegun.
“(I) A threaded barrel.
“(III) A barrel shroud.
“(IV) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
“(V) A forward grip.
Thanks for the detail in addressing what qualifies a weapon being included in the proposed ban.
As I’m not familiar enough with firearms to be specific but I knew there are those that are.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm just going on what was posted here, but the main thrust seems to be this:
"The bullet that comes out of the barrel of an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle can easily penetrate the target – the intruder or whatever person you are using deadly force to defend yourself or others from.

But it also will go through the wall behind that person, and potentially through that room and into the next wall. That power and accuracy are useful for military purposes, which is obviously what they were designed for. But it’s far more power than should ever be in the hands of the average civilian"

This is true of every hunting rifle caliber sold. The .223/5.56 round is actually smaller and less powerful than most hunting rifles, which is why it's illegal (too small) to be used for hunting deer in some states.

Again, I've no problem discussing restricting some access to these firearms (despite the fact that I own them), but I detest people acting like it's some sort of super-rifle. It's not.
What are my shortcomings, Bamaro? What are Earle's?

Making sweeping attacks like this is an excellent way to look like a fool.
Apparently Earl realized my comment was a tongue in cheek generalization that was not directed at anyone specifically and didn't feel any need to reply. Since I dont know you the remark was not directed at you but it seems to have struck a nerve for some reason so I will drop this conversation.

I still wonder though what is is about these weapons that seems to make them the gun of choice when someone goes off the deep end and decides to commit a mass shooting.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

“(I) A pistol grip.
“(II) A forward grip.
“(V) A barrel shroud.
“(VI) A threaded barrel.
“(I) A threaded barrel.
“(III) A barrel shroud.
“(V) A forward grip.
Gun sales by dealers at the shows are registered. I would say any sales or transfers should be registered and checked.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I'm just going on what was posted here, but the main thrust seems to be this:
"The bullet that comes out of the barrel of an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle can easily penetrate the target – the intruder or whatever person you are using deadly force to defend yourself or others from.

But it also will go through the wall behind that person, and potentially through that room and into the next wall. That power and accuracy are useful for military purposes, which is obviously what they were designed for. But it’s far more power than should ever be in the hands of the average civilian"

This is true of every hunting rifle caliber sold. The .223/5.56 round is actually smaller and less powerful than most hunting rifles, which is why it's illegal (too small) to be used for hunting deer in some states.

Again, I've no problem discussing restricting some access to these firearms (despite the fact that I own them), but I detest people acting like it's some sort of super-rifle. It's not.
The last time I looked, you could hunt whitetail in Texas with .223. I wouldn’t, unless I had some really good optics. I remember Alabama being minimum .24 (I used to have a Wby .240 magnum). That was BTW a super gun.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Not surprising that a police department too timid to storm one teenager with a gun would turn to a biker gang to keep public order.

They were trying to keep the reporters from interacting with the families. I wonder if the reporters have any idea how many children were shot or bled out while the police dithered at the classroom door.
I hate reporters for this reason. They need to let these families have a funeral and grieve. Guarantee that one of these parasites wanted to interview a parent anf ask them how they feel.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Apparently Earl realized my comment was a tongue in cheek generalization that was not directed at anyone specifically and didn't feel any need to reply. Since I dont know you the remark was not directed at you but it seems to have struck a nerve for some reason so I will drop this conversation.

I still wonder though what is is about these weapons that seems to make them the gun of choice when someone goes off the deep end and decides to commit a mass shooting.
One factor is the "glamour" copycat aspect, along with the military. The main factor, however, is that they are everywhere, millions of them. They are surprisingly inexpensive and, with minimal skill, you can build one with mail order parts even cheaper...

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just grow weary of the silliness when we're discussing people's deaths as well as determining the boundaries regarding our individual rights.

They're remarkably efficient.

That said, easy to forget but the deadliest school shooting in US history utilized handguns.

IOW, I think we need to look at bigger picture issues here rather than focusing on specific types of firearms here. It's easy to get lost in the weeds and end up with ineffective laws that impact law-abiding firearm owners while not reducing the widespread deadly shootings.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe this is true only for sales by registered dealers, though. I could be wrong, of course.
Well, it's a nuanced law. It is possible to buy a firearm from a private seller online if they are in your state and your state allows it.

And for the record I'm fine with passing a law requiring background checks for all firearm sales, though I'd like to see a caveat for family members.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
IOW, I think we need to look at bigger picture issues here rather than focusing on specific types of firearms here. It's easy to get lost in the weeds and end up with ineffective laws that impact law-abiding firearm owners while not reducing the widespread deadly shootings.
Yes. Magazine capacity should be the focus, including considering handguns (do you really need a 33 round mag for a Glock?).. It just happens that all the AR types and their knockoffs accept high capacity mags. Heck, I've got several 30 round mags for my mini14, which DIDN'T make the assault ban, and was used in the biggest mass shooting in history (Norway).

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and UAH

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes. Magazine capacity should be the focus, including considering handguns (do you really need a 33 round mag for a Glock?).. It just happens that all the AR types and their knockoffs accept high capacity mags. Heck, I've got several 30 round mags for my mini14, which DIDN'T make the assault ban, and was used in the biggest mass shooting in history (Norway).
the marketing aspect should dealt with as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.