Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
IOW, I think we need to look at bigger picture issues here rather than focusing on specific types of firearms here. It's easy to get lost in the weeds and end up with ineffective laws that impact law-abiding firearm owners while not reducing the widespread deadly shootings.
Here's the big picture....in the form of a question:

Why aren't everyone's kids on this forum going out and shooting other people?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Here's the big picture....in the form of a question:

Why aren't everyone's kids on this forum going out and shooting other people?
I am going to try to answer this one @Bazza. Most people on here are doing their job as parents. I think it starts in the home. We had guns when I was young but my dad taught us what to do with them and not to do with them. Plus, just be involved in your kid’s life.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am going to try to answer this one @Bazza. Most people on here are doing their job as parents. I think it starts in the home. We had guns when I was young but my dad taught us what to do with them and not to do with them. Plus, just be involved in your kid’s life.
i don't think that really tells us much though. there are millions of crappy, irresponsible parents whose kids haven't gone out and shot other people

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
i don't think that really tells us much though. there are millions of crappy, irresponsible parents whose kids haven't gone out and shot other people
It also supposed we can know beforehand and stop these incidences before they occur if we know who to watch. (Or at least that’s the vibe). The other vibe is “it’s the parents’ responsibility and not society’s” (to stop it). It may make for interesting conversation for some but is utterly useless in the grand scheme.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

As Congress considers, again, the possibility of moving a package of gun control reforms, a number from a new CBS News/YouGov poll jumped out at me as evidence of why solving America’s gun violence problem is so hard.

It’s this: 44% of Republicans said that mass shootings are something we have to accept as part of a free society. (A majority of Republicans – 56% – said mass shootings are something we can prevent and stop if we really tried.)

That number is a striking departure from how the country as a whole views the issue. More than 7 in 10 Americans (72%) said that mass shootings could be prevented if we really tried, while just 28% said they were part of living in a free society.

Consider what those Republicans are saying: There is no policy – or cultural – solution to the problem of mass shootings. Instead, it is a necessary evil of living in a free society.

This is, of course, utter bunk.

Yes, it is utter bunk.

On the next, I'm for doing both and more. It's a shame the GOP blocks every reasonable effort to alleviate this problem even as they throw their hands in the air and claim there's nothing they can do.

The two leading GOP senators involved in gun talks on Capitol Hill signaled Monday evening that it’s unlikely Congress will raise the age requirement for purchasing semi-automatic firearms to 21, instead saying they are looking at changing the criminal background check system to access juvenile records before a sale is complete.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The two leading GOP senators involved in gun talks on Capitol Hill signaled Monday evening that it’s unlikely Congress will raise the age requirement for purchasing semi-automatic firearms to 21, instead saying they are looking at changing the criminal background check system to access juvenile records before a sale is complete.
That would be an improvement.

I'm a little hung up on age restrictions - not because I think they're a bad idea but it seems to me if someone isn't old enough to make mature decisions regarding alcohol, cigarettes, or firearms, they likely aren't mature enough to be required to sign up for selective service, enter into contracts, or even vote. Either the brain is mature or it isn't.

To be clear, I'm 100% on-board with raising the age for the purchase of firearms, but I think it will get push-back because of the can(s) of worms it opens.

Reactions: Con

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
That would be an improvement.

I'm a little hung up on age restrictions - not because I think they're a bad idea but it seems to me if someone isn't old enough to make mature decisions regarding alcohol, cigarettes, or firearms, they likely aren't mature enough to be required to sign up for selective service, enter into contracts, or even vote. Either the brain is mature or it isn't.

To be clear, I'm 100% on-board with raising the age for the purchase of firearms, but I think it will get push-back because of the can(s) of worms it opens.
That can is already open with alcohol and tobacco. Besides, young men have always been counted on in war precisely because their young minds don't have enough sense to truly know the horrors of war yet; so maybe we should lean more toward raising the age for that decision rather than keeping low the age for buying weapons of war as a civilian.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That can is already open with alcohol and tobacco. Besides, young men have always been counted on in war precisely because their young minds don't have enough sense to truly know the horrors of war yet; so maybe we should lean more toward raising the age for that decision rather than keeping low the age for buying weapons of war as a civilian.
I was about to make a similar reply. Soldiers have always been young for a very cynical reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.