Price of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We buy an new Rand McNally before every long road trip. GPS is great, but there's no substitute for a road map. Of course my wife and I are way beyond 40.
I use the Waze app here in Europe. It is pretty good and can be programs to avoid tolls, it automatically avoids traffic, etc.
It does have a downside. In Luxembourg, Waze told me to use this road:
Waze told me to drive on this path copy.jpeg
Where the pavement ends, Waze said "Keep on going."

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I use the Waze app here in Europe. It is pretty good and can be programs to avoid tolls, it automatically avoids traffic, etc.
View attachment 25501
That happened to me with Waze in NC...the house I was going to was on the other side of the field. LOL.

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
View attachment 25501
Once, I got lost in eastern Tirol, in Austria. I kept circling through woods and a lumberyard. I've never been shy about asking for directions. One circuit, I stopped and asked a woodcutter. He replied "Ich bin Yugoslawien." The locals kept telling me not to take the main road over the bridge and telling me about a shortcut "Nicht über der Brücke," over and over, with no reason given. Finally, I thought to myself that I didn't give a damn - the map said over the bridge. On the last pass, I finally saw the shortcut just before the bridge. It wasn't as bad as your shot, but it consisted of two tracks through a cornfield. There was no way I was taking a rental Mercedes over that...

Reactions: UAH and Padreruf

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Once, I got lost in eastern Tirol, in Austria. I kept circling through woods and a lumberyard. I've never been shy about asking for directions. One circuit, I stopped and asked a woodcutter. He replied "Ich bin Yugoslawien." The locals kept telling me not to take the main road over the bridge and telling me about a shortcut "Nicht über der Brücke," over and over, with no reason given. Finally, I thought to myself that I didn't give a damn - the map said over the bridge. On the last pass, I finally saw the shortcut just before the bridge. It wasn't as bad as your shot, but it consisted of two tracks through a cornfield. There was no way I was taking a rental Mercedes over that...
The key word is rental. It's amazing what a rental car will go through.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The key word is rental. It's amazing what a rental car will go through.
I've told this before, but once, a prankster send me right through the middle of Hallstadt, Austria. The rental Benz would barely fit. People were plastered up against the walls to let me through. Now, it's blocked off and you have to take the uphill bypass... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would never buy a used car that was once a rental. FYI, Carmax buys cars from Enterprise.
I will never understand why people fall for their business model. I bought my truck from a Toyota dealer in Nashville. Toyota dealers in AL have to pay low four figures to the wholesaler/importer in Jacksonville because of the contract. It's a 2011 and had under 25K on it when I bought it when it was a year old. I had priced one with Carmax and it was a 2010, with 3x the mileage. Carmax wanted $1k more for the older truck. I started checking and they are consistently above market. Also, their service problems are legendary - just Google...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I will never understand why people fall for their business model. I bought my truck from a Toyota dealer in Nashville. Toyota dealers in AL have to pay low four figures to the wholesaler/importer in Jacksonville because of the contract. It's a 2011 and had under 25K on it when I bought it when it was a year old. I had priced one with Carmax and it was a 2010, with 3x the mileage. Carmax wanted $1k more for the older truck. I started checking and they are consistently above market. Also, their service problems are legendary - just Google...
I worked there back in 1999-2001. I would never buy a car from that place ever. No matter the price. I know too much. I bought my first car from there only because I worked there and got it at cost. Plus I worked inventory so I saw it come in and hand picked the mechanic that inspected it. Kicked the car back twice to make sure there were no issue and personally spoke with the previous owner.

Reactions: UAH and TIDE-HSV

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Gas in my area has gone up 25 cents in a week and a half currently selling at $4.49/gallon at the majority of gas stations in our area and we're not even to July 4th yet, when seemingly gas prices begin to hit its ceiling for the summer. Gas prices in my area have gone up 65% from one year ago today.

We have ONE MORE baseball tournament and I told my wife and drive happy daughter that after that we're going to go on a two and a half month STAYcation!

Reactions: 92tide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Gas in my area has gone up 25 cents in a week and a half currently selling at $4.49/gallon at the majority of gas stations in our area and we're not even to July 4th yet, when seemingly gas prices begin to hit its ceiling for the summer. Gas prices in my area have gone up 65% from one year ago today.

We have ONE MORE baseball tournament and I told my wife and drive happy daughter that after that we're going to go on a two and a half month STAYcation!
We have really cut our driving...and not missed a thing. Inflation has meant less eating out ---that's really expensive in Charleston -- but otherwise no real changes. I feel for people who commute 25 or 50 miles a day to work...my car has left our garage 1x this week -- to pick up meds. I will go to Costco later today...but I can "cocoon" with the best...especially with good tv, streaming, and books, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.