Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, it's both - but one of them affects the other.

My chirruns were all raised in a healthy household - with guns - but they were taught proper firearm handling and those guns were / are always locked up in safes when not in use.

But more importantly, they were raised in a manner in which they would never have thought of doing something like this at age 12, despite the presence of firearms...

As for which is more important - if you remove guns from the world with a wishful blink of an eye, do you think these children are no longer an issue in our society? Or do they continue to grow up under terrible parenting and remain societal issues?

The reality is guns aren't going away. That's a pipe dream. Some may, but most will remain, and will be accessible to kids and crazy people, so unless / until we have the will to address our societal issues, guns will remain an issue here.

Remember, this story (along with most gun crimes) aren't crimes committed with rifles - they're (by a wide margin) committed with handguns .
Very true. I think the lopsided allocation of alarm comes from the predominance of kids as victims of the ARs. I bought mine at a time when we'd had a couple of home invasions fairly close and our house sits tucked back in three acres of woods. Over time, I realized that I would never be able to get to it in time, in an incident like that and just bought more 9mms and stationed them strategically. I also found out that the home invasions were far from random, after all...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Very true. I think the lopsided allocation of alarm comes from the predominance of kids as victims of the ARs. I bought mine at a time when we'd had a couple of home invasions fairly close and our house sits tucked back in three acres of woods. Over time, I realized that I would never be able to get to it in time, in an incident like that and just bought more 9mms and stationed them strategically. I also found out that the home invasions were far from random, after all...
Yup - IIRC, the FBI numbers show that a huge preponderance of home invasions involve drugs. There are those that are seemingly random or target the wealthier areas, but they appear to be the outliers.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yup - IIRC, the FBI numbers show that a huge preponderance of home invasions involve drugs. There are those that are seemingly random or target the wealthier areas, but they appear to be the outliers.
Home invasions are a major problem in our area and have been for the last 10 years. As you've stated, drugs are normally the centerpiece of the "why".

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and TIDE-HSV

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There have always been sorry, irresponsible parents. I saw plenty of that back in the “good old days” when I was growing up. The difference now is that our country has been flooded with guns, making it easier for 12 year olds or anybody else to get their hands on one.
i have run across many irresponsible, sorry parents who present as “good” or who are considered fine upstanding folks

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
I’m trying to decide what I would do if I got the drop on a 12 year old robber holding me at gunpoint…shoot him or not to shoot?

A modern-day dilemma. Would you shoot a 12 year old threatening you with a gun? Question directed at anybody…I just don’t know what I would do.
Depends on the situation, how I calculate the odds that he shoots at me.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Another idiot heard from:
House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) said Wednesday that passing gun safety legislation would be the wrong response to America’s constant mass shootings, because nobody tried to get rid of airplanes after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

• Smash Keyboard
  • Facepalm
Reactions: PaulD and Go Bama

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I’m trying to decide what I would do if I got the drop on a 12 year old robber holding me at gunpoint…shoot him or not to shoot?

A modern-day dilemma. Would you shoot a 12 year old threatening you with a gun? Question directed at anybody…I just don’t know what I would do.
If I go by what I've been taught and what I've heard "experts" say, I'd shoot him. But I'm not going to sit here (outside of a situation) and pretend to know what I'd do if I was actually in it. A lot of things are taking place in real-life events that aren't present in "what if" scenarios such as adrenaline, natural survival instincts, etc.

A side note, several years ago there was someone pounding on our front door at approximately 4 am on a Sunday. I got up, got my .45, and walked into the living room facing the front door. The guy kept pounding and pounding on the door. Then the pounding stopped and he started trying to turn the door knob. I've never had so much adrenaline going through my body and I was begging (internally) for him to stop because I'd already made up my mind that if came through that front door I was putting bullets in his chest. The guy stopped trying to open the door and it all ended. I found out the next day it was a drunk guy that lived in the back of the neighborhood who went to the wrong house, apparently, he'd done it to several other houses. But make no mistake about it, I'd already made the decision to put bullets in his chest if he walked through that door.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
More ridiculous gun violence :
10-year-old in Fla. fatally shot woman arguing with her mom, police say

Lashun Rodgers, a 41-year-old grandmother and local volunteer in Orlando, was at a Memorial Day barbecue in her apartment complex’s courtyard when a woman arrived with her daughter — sparking an altercation that quickly turned deadly, witnesses told police.

The two women began yelling at each other — apparently airing grievances over a prior dispute related to a social media post, according to an arrest affidavit. But witnesses say the shouting turned physical after the woman punched Rodgers, who hit her in return.

At one point in the fight, the second woman, 31-year-old Lakrisha Isaac, handed her daughter a purse that contained a pistol, according to the affidavit. As the altercation continued, police say, the 10-year-old fired two shots, striking Rodgers in the head.

A witness told police Isaac yelled, “You done shot the lady!” Then the witness heard the child scream: “You shouldn’t have messed with my momma!”
10-year-old in Fla. fatally shot woman arguing with her mom, police say (msn.com)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I know myself pretty well. Recovering from a gunshot wound might prove less difficult for me than getting over having shot a pre-teen child. Of course, my gunshot might be fatal, but in that case I wouldn’t be around to agonize over it.

“Why aren’t you afraid of being shot yourself?” Would be a reasonable question. But my answer is I’m not going to live my life in fear of being shot. I’m certainly not a pacifist and believe in self defense, I just don’t think guns are the answer.

And Buzzard, I do understand there are some places and situations where someone would be a fool to leave their gun at home. I just don’t think they are the universal solution for a glut of gun violence, in my opinion, tougher laws are a more effective way to go.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I know myself pretty well. Recovering from a gunshot wound might prove less difficult for me than getting over having shot a pre-teen child. Of course, my gunshot might be fatal, but in that case I wouldn’t be around to agonize over it.

“Why aren’t you afraid of being shot yourself?” Would be a reasonable question. But my answer is I’m not going to live my life in fear of being shot. I’m certainly not a pacifist and believe in self defense, I just don’t think guns are the answer.

And Buzzard, I do understand there are some places and situations where someone would be a fool to leave their gun at home. I just don’t think they are the universal solution for a glut of gun violence, in my opinion, tougher laws are a more effective way to go.
We definitely need tighter gun laws and I'm on board with a lot of the suggestions that we've kicked around on here. But at the same time, in our attempt of correcting an obvious problem, I dang sure do not want to create a problem for me or any other law-abiding citizen with crazy over correction laws and regulations. That is why I think discussion, discussion, and discussion (as we've done very nicely) is the key.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don’t mean this in a mean spirited way, but…
Faced with doing anything to restrict gun use, having more discussions is always what gun supporters seem to fall back on. When I see GOP Senators explaining we need to keep this type weapon available to the general public to shoot prairie dogs, feral pigs and varmits, I marvel people think they can negotiate or even reason with that mindset.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If I was a doctor working at a clinic that gives abortions, I would either get a gun or if I could afford it, pay a sniper to hang around outside the facility at all times. I think it’s an imbalance in society that people who make a living making or selling these type guns don’t have the same constant nagging fear a doctor must feel if he provides help for pregnant women.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92tide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don’t mean this in a mean spirited way, but…
Faced with doing anything to restrict gun use, having more discussions is always what gun supporters seem to fall back on. When I see GOP Senators explaining we need to keep this type weapon available to the general public to shoot prairie dogs, feral pigs and varmits, I marvel people think they can negotiate or even reason with that mindset.
I think we're talking about real discussions, not the ones you're talking about. It all doesn't have to be agreed upon at one time to start change. But you would think honest discussions would lead to agreeing on at least one thing, and they could get that "one thing" passed while continuing to hash out the things they don't agree on.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We definitely need tighter gun laws and I'm on board with a lot of the suggestions that we've kicked around on here. But at the same time, in our attempt of correcting an obvious problem, I dang sure do not want to create a problem for me or any other law-abiding citizen with crazy over correction laws and regulations. That is why I think discussion, discussion, and discussion (as we've done very nicely) is the key.
That has never been the case and I very seriously doubt it will be now. Actually, quite the opposite. Congress will pass a weak bill l and go on break while patting themselves on the back. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.