Price of gas

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My uncle preferred patch over plug. Like you, he would decide by life of tire. He also hated fix-a-flat because it would create a mess inside.

I have heard most new cars do not come with a spare and only come with fix-a-flat. Given that it can screw up the sensor sounds like asking for trouble.
My dealer does not fix tires...they wanted to sell me a new one. Right.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
My local shop fixes leaks for free - even if you didn't buy the tires there.

Also, if your car has TPMS sensors fixaflat is a bad idea - you'll likely end up replacing the sensor.
Discount Tire and Costco will repair flats for free if you purchase the tires there. They will also do free rotation and balance for the life of the tire.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Getting back on topic, how many Tidefans posters have hybrids? My coworker loves his and keeps telling us all we should get one. Saves a ton on gas. Personally, I think I am saving more by not having a car payment.
You are. It is VERY, VERy rare that purchasing a "new" or "new to you" vehicle in the attempt to save money on gas actually saves money. Most of the time, it is costing you more to do that. I had a buddy of mine go buy a used fuel-efficient car so he could keep his gas-guzzler pickup parked at home. I didn't have the heart to tell him, but it was a bad financial decision.

He spent approximately $10,000 (lump sum, NOW) on a used car and went from 13-16 miles per gallon to approximately 25-28 miles per gallon. He now fills up approximately once every two weeks compared to once per week. Just VERY ROUGH math, taking into account that he now has to pay monthly insurance on this car, PLUS the truck that's just sitting, the amount of time in weekly gas savings it is going to take to recoup his initial $10,000 investment, it will be somewhere in year two, possibly year three before he starts seeing ACTUAL gas savings from this purchase. That is assuming gas prices will still be this high. But as long as he FEELS like he's saving, then I guess that's all that matters. 🤷‍♂️

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
Getting back on topic, how many Tidefans posters have hybrids? My coworker loves his and keeps telling us all we should get one. Saves a ton on gas. Personally I think I am saving more by not having a car payment.
I have a self-charging Toyota Yaris (no clue if it exists in the US but doubt it) on order that should come this summer. I’m doing it to use even less than I already use and to give current car to my daughter if she wants it. I live in a European city so don’t use a car that much— less than 5000 kms a year. I think I’m going to attempt to fill it up once a year —max twice.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have a self-charging Toyota Yaris (no clue if it exists in the US but doubt it) on order that should come this summer. I’m doing it to use even less than I already use and to give current car to my daughter if she wants it. I live in a European city so don’t use a car that much— less than 5000 kms a year. I think I’m going to attempt to fill it up once a year —max twice.
Yaris was discontinued in 2020.

Reactions: crimbru

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My Acura TLX has variable transmission settings -- IDS. I changed it from Sport to Economy. Cuts down on the acceleration, but it sure ups the gas mileage.
That slightly "detunes" the ECU and "retunes" it for mileage. Normally, the ECU retunes itself for altitude, octane, driving style, etc. But it's nice to have the option to say to it "This is what's important to me now"...

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
That slightly "detunes" the ECU and "retunes" it for mileage. Normally, the ECU retunes itself for altitude, octane, driving style, etc. But it's nice to have the option to say to it "This is what's important to me now"...
Funny, but since I've driven it in "Sport" mode for 4 years, it defaults to that every time I start up. I have to put it in "Economy" every time...

Reactions: seebell

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I have a 1.5 litre Encore and a Honda CRV. I purchase about one tank of gas a month so gas could go to $10.00 a gallon and it won't bother me. By the way, those two cars stay in the garage most of the time. I have five restaurants, drug store, two grocery stores, and three golf courses within a golf cart ride from my house so we use our club car most of the time.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have a 1.5 litre Encore and a Honda CRV. I purchase about one tank of gas a month so gas could go to $10.00 a gallon and it won't bother me. By the way, those two cars stay in the garage most of the time. I have five restaurants, drug store, two grocery stores, and three golf courses within a golf cart ride from my house so we use our club car most of the time.
Be thankful you are in a stage of life where you can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.