Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

every "in part" piece below is wrong in its own way

The letter makes clear, however, that the city and its police department want to be exempted from releasing a wide variety of records in part because it is being sued, in part because some of the records could include “highly embarrassing information,” in part because some of the information is “not of legitimate concern to the public,” in part because the information could reveal “methods, techniques, and strategies for preventing and predicting crime,” in part because some of the information may cause or may "regard … emotional/mental distress," and in part because its response to the shooting is being investigated by the Texas Rangers, the FBI, and the Uvalde County District Attorney.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Arming the teachers kind of ignores how teenagers can sometimes be prone to pranks. Doing something foolish with the chance of it going off the rails. Making handguns common things in schools really bumps up the potential for trouble.
I can't understand how they can trust teachers with guns and not flippin' trust them to teach. People are nuts.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Apparently a near-miss

He had a handgun, the police came in on him hard and shot him dead. i guess everyone should be thankful he didn’t bring something with more firepower. Unfortunately, the decision of what kind of weapon to bring was his choice,, as Republicans absolutely refuse to address the problem.

We’ve hit the point where a shooter shows up with only a handgun and it’s seen as catching a break.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: seebell and 92tide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
But seriously, we've tried banning certain weapons and large clips and reducing access to guns and the evidence is overwhelming - despite untrue claims to the contrary - that it worked.

We've tried school resource officers, further securing schools (stop making excuses for why it didn't work because human failure is part of the equation), and many other things and they haven't worked at all.

It would make sense to go back to the thing that has been proven to work.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
But seriously, we've tried banning certain weapons and large clips and reducing access to guns and the evidence is overwhelming - despite untrue claims to the contrary - that it worked.

We've tried school resource officers, further securing schools (stop making excuses for why it didn't work because human failure is part of the equation), and many other things and they haven't worked at all.

It would make sense to go back to the thing that has been proven to work.
IMO, the only thing about the ban which really worked was banning large magazines, which I proposed way above, or in the last thread. In fact, I suggested banning detachable mags entirely. If you do that, you don't have to worry about the pistol grip, muzzle flash hider, and all the other cosmetics in the AWB. BTW, the studies on how effective the ban was have yielded mixed results.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
IMO, the only thing about the ban which really worked was banning large magazines, which I proposed way above, or in the last thread. In fact, I suggested banning detachable mags entirely. If you do that, you don't have to worry about the pistol grip, muzzle flash hider, and all the other cosmetics in the AWB. BTW, the studies on how effective the ban was have yielded mixed results.
You've provided good and reasonable suggestions the whole way.

High quality studies that have encompassed the entire period before, during, and after the ban are in agreement, while studies of lesser quality or that do not encompass the entire period are not in agreement. Quality and completeness matter.

ETA: I am always open to quality evidence to the contrary.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You've provided good and reasonable suggestions the whole way.

High quality studies that have encompassed the entire period before, during, and after the ban are in agreement, while studies of lesser quality or that do not encompass the entire period are not in agreement. Quality and completeness matter.

ETA: I am always open to quality evidence to the contrary.
It really doesn't matter to me. I decided long ago that the cosmetics which disguise the appearance, so it no longer looks like an AR-15 did nothing but satisfy the public and the lawmakers' constituents that they'd done something substantial. What you ended up with was a rifle which no longer looked like an AR-15 but still shot exactly the same caliber and same type round as before. IOW, it had no impact. However, the limitation on magazines did bite and made a difference in mass shootings, although the impact on gun homicide in general was not great. You could limit mag size retroactively on grandfathered guns. The latest failure in congress - and it's a failure, whether it passes or not - illustrates that even mag limitations can't pass the minority-ruled senate. BTW, I don't accept that all the studies which say that it didn't have much effect are crappy and all who find the opposite are excellent. I do think that there are so many confounding factors, it's very difficult to ascertain how much it did, except for the mag limitations...

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I can't understand how they can trust teachers with guns and not flippin' trust them to teach. People are nuts.
Whaaaaat?!?! Do you mean to tell me there are teachers who are given a curriculum, are entrusted to teach it a certain way for specific purposes but begin to go off the rails and allow their personal biases and agendas to hijack the original intent of the curriculum? Or better yet, sit in the classroom and play on their cellphones and tell the students to "Look it up on youtube"?!?! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! NOT IN 'MERICA!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.