Arch Manning, Texas, and NILs

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know Arch Manning and his family has said and done everything to make it clear that money wouldn't be a factor in which school they chose. Yet, somehow of all the destinations Arch ends up at a school that was 5-7 last season and hardly seemed like hot commodity. Way back, when we were first discussing NILs a couple of years ago I speculated that Texas could pay Arch a million dollars to go there. Now, with the way things have gone my estimate seems well below what he's going to get, and whether or not he chose Texas due to NIL money, obviously he's going to sign a 7 or 8 figure NIL deal anyway.

We can debate how much Arch needs or wants the NIL money indefinitely without really proving anything. Sure, his family is rich but this NIL money is his money, and it is hard to imagine it was not a factor at all. Perhaps it just came down to Texas boosters promising to buy Arch all he needs to compete (as Texas clearly doesn't have that yet).

That's really what this post is about. Not that Arch just happened to choose the school with the richest boosters in college football. Now, the real Texas money is going to be entering the scene. Texas A&M gave us a good show, but the fact is they don't have nearly the wealth Texas does (Texas has twice as much money as A&M has).

So, we can speculate all we want about why specifically Arch chose a 5-7 team with a head coach whose career record is 51-42. I already speculated how this could go down quite some time ago. What I can say definitively though is that we're about to see just how much Texas boosters are willing to spend. They weren't going to go nuts with a 5-7 team and a coach they aren't really sure about. They've got Arch Manning now though, they're not going to let that go to waste...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Unfortunately, I foresee my interest in college football waning in the near future. I hope it doesn't. It just feels like if I wanted to watch the pro football, I'd watch pro football. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I didn't articulate that well. My statement has nothing to do with Manning. I'm just complaining that I am afraid that the game is changing to something I'll be less interested in.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m just glad this nonsense is finally over and Bama fans are done obsessing over a Manning.

As for him going to Texas for money… Maybe. The Mannings are loaded. It was probably more to do with distance and qb centered coach. There are far easier places to point at the NIL going against Bama, this is probably a far weaker one.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As for him going to Texas for money… Maybe. The Mannings are loaded. It was probably more to do with distance and qb centered coach. There are far easier places to point at the NIL going against Bama, this is probably a far weaker one.
Considering this is the exact scenario I proposed before the abysmal 5-7 season Texas had, I hardly feel inclined to retract my sentiments. Having said that, that doesn't necessarily mean Arch went for his NIL deal. It just makes little sense to me though that the 5-7 team would end up being the most attractive option if it wasn't for the way NIL has changed things.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Considering this is the exact scenario I proposed before the abysmal 5-7 season Texas had, I hardly feel inclined to retract my sentiments. Having said that, that doesn't necessarily mean Arch went for his NIL deal. It just makes little sense to me though that the 5-7 team would end up being the most attractive option if it wasn't for the way NIL has changed things.
Okay why was USC not a top 3? Or Texas A&M?

Really it seems more to do with Sark than anything else.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Okay why was USC not a top 3? Or Texas A&M?

Really it seems more to do with Sark than anything else.
Why wasn't Ole Miss? Lane Kiffin isn't exactly bad with QBs.

Look, you can argue if you want to argue even though I already said twice that I'm not saying that's why he did it. I however do not feel very wrong about NILs, they are everything I said they would be and more. I also said Texas might buy Arch with NIL money and that mighty 5-7 team with a head coach they weren't sure they even wanted to keep now landed the top prospect in years.

Now you say it's about QB development basically right? But you mentioned USC, Riley can develop QBs as well as Sark, so can Kiffin. Clearly that's not the only factor here is it? I'm not going to argue just to argue though. I haven't been wrong on this NIL stuff in general and watch what happens with Texas buying recruits now... I am pretty confident in that prediction as well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why wasn't Ole Miss? Lane Kiffin isn't exactly bad with QBs.
There was apparently a personal issue between Kiffin and the Mannings. Or that is what was reported.

Look, you can argue if you want to argue even though I already said twice that I'm not saying that's why he did it. I however do not feel very wrong about NILs, they are everything I said they would be and more. I also said Texas might buy Arch with NIL money and that mighty 5-7 team with a head coach they weren't sure they even wanted to keep now landed the top prospect in years.
My point is than in general “yes Texas could buy anyone they want”. It’s just in this case it’s hard to say that. He is a rich kid already. I mean how much more will satisfy him? I guess you could make the case that there is no limit. But then again why wouldn’t he get USC, Texas, aTm, Notre Dame, and Ohio St into a massive bidding war if it was about money? Why waste your time with Bama and Georgia? I guess it’s far more than money.

Now you say it's about QB development basically right? But you mentioned USC, Riley can develop QBs as well as Sark, so can Kiffin. Clearly that's not the only factor here is it? I'm not going to argue just to argue though. I haven't been wrong on this NIL stuff in general and watch what happens with Texas buying recruits now... I won't be wrong about that either.
Again im specifically talking about Arch. Which you brought up. And if you didn’t want to argue then why did you quote me? I never disagreed with your central point.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Again im specifically talking about Arch. Which you brought up.
And I'm specifically saying this move gives Texas the impetus to really start spending on recruits, which up until now they've been a bit more hesitant about. I commented about this elsewhere in the past, but basically they were not going to invest heavily in a coach they didn't really like that had a spotty track record. Why prop up someone you might want gone in a season or two?

This is also why A&M did up their spending, because Jimbo beat Alabama and that signaled to them that it was a good time to start spending. What this will do, and I'm very, very confident in is that (not entirely confident in my ability to understand why a teenager does things), this opens the floodgates for what ever Texas boosters are willing to do.

They might have been hesitant before, but now that they have Arch they're going to build a team around him and it won't be cheap.

The TLDR is that last year we saw that you can buy the #1 class with NIL money. Now, I expect to see just what the practical limitations are, more or less what can't be done with NIL money because I expect Texas to do all that can be done with it.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Texas needs to spend their money on a better supporting cast for Manning. Probably wanted to play right away ( wouldn't happen at Bama) and to get out for his uncles' shadows.

9gks

Scout Team
Jun 11, 2019
although it diminishes my enjoyment of my favorite sport, it will be fun to watch the Aggie reaction when the shorthorns out recruit them with NIL

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And I'm specifically saying this move gives Texas the impetus to really start spending on recruits, which up until now they've been a bit more hesitant about. I commented about this elsewhere in the past, but basically they were not going to invest heavily in a coach they didn't really like that had a spotty track record. Why prop up someone you might want gone in a season or two?

This is also why A&M did up their spending, because Jimbo beat Alabama and that signaled to them that it was a good time to start spending. What this will do, and I'm very, very confident in is that (not entirely confident in my ability to understand why a teenager does things), this opens the floodgates for what ever Texas boosters are willing to do.

They might have been hesitant before, but now that they have Arch they're going to build a team around him and it won't be cheap.

The TLDR is that last year we saw that you can buy the #1 class with NIL money. Now, I expect to see just what the practical limitations are, more or less what can't be done with NIL money because I expect Texas to do all that can be done with it.
Maybe. But we are still talking about quarterbacks and high school athletes. Blake Barnett comes to mind.

Yes it can lead to major recruiting classes but it can just as easily lead to epic collapses if that one player is proven to be a fraud.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know...will rich men blow a bunch of money on their favorite college team so they can brag to their buddies their school is succeeding or so they can enjoy some big wins or championships? Sure, they'll blow *some* money to do that.

But as others in these discussions have pointed out, rich men are rich because they are generally smart investors and don't do stupid things with the vast portion of their wealth.

There a limit to how much this will blow up and continue. Maybe there's a few big pushes like what A$M boosters did last year, but if Jimbo's team under-performs again are they going to keep pumping that kind of money into an average program? I doubt it.

Might the Big UT boosters have a big push to get Texas "back" through some big NIL deals? Yeah, but the question is "How long will they hand out the money and how high are they willing to go without a significant ROI?"

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Probably wanted to play right away ( wouldn't happen at Bama) and to get out for his uncles' shadows.
On to something here I think. At Bama, he'd compete against Milroe, Simpson, and Holstein. He'll probably start right away at TX as far as I can tell.

It was an interesting thought, but I could never really imagine a Manning at Bama. Just glad the drama's over such as it was.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
On to something here I think. At Bama, he'd compete against Milroe, Simpson, and Holstein. He'll probably start right away at TX as fas as I can tell.

It was an interesting thought, but I could never really imagine a Manning at Bama. Just glad the drama's over such as it was.
On JOX today they said that he was the third recruit to be given a perfect score by 247 recruiting in the 20 or so years that they've kept records. The second one to get that perfect rating will be UT's starting QB this year.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Texas with Sark and Bama with O'Brien for QB development.

I doubt that O'Brien is still with us next season, so I can see why he chose them.
I read an article that explained several reasons he chose Texas. I think it was mainly Sark and AJ Milwee and the development he can get from them. He also loves Austin... was looking for a great college town. I am sure NIL money had something to do with it, though he'd probably not admit it. He probably thinks he can change the culture or team for the positive.

I am glad he chose Texas instead of UGA. I am glad we got Holstein at Bama. Arch Manning would have been nice too, but I never thought he'd choose Bama. If Sark was still the OC at Bama, then he may have chosen Bama though.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
As for me I'm happy the circus is leaving town. Unless of course for some reason he were to decommit. Ya know there's gonna be colleges that'll try just about anything to flip the kid. Only thing is there won't be a "Bag Man" cuz it'll take a "Brinks Truck" to carry the lute now that it's "legal" ?!?

• Thank You
Reactions: BigPoppa52

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.