Can Trumpism Survive Without Trump?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
After an embarrassing stumble on linking the wrong article, I’ve located the link to the right one:

Makes a persuasive case that the Republican party is finally seeing Trump for what he is (6 in 10 say he’s a criminal), and is abandoning ship. Why they continued to embrace him for as long as they did, I have no idea, and is another topic for another thread.

But it also brings a follow-up question: Is Trumpism viable without an effective Trump?

I tend to think not.

Whether you love him or hate him with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns, you have to acknowledge that Donald Trump galvanized a lot of people. I don’t think that sort of personal cachet is transferable.

So if Trump‘s influence ends because enough people finally wake up to his true nature, or he has a final meltdown, or just dies (he’s 76 and significantly overweight), I think Trumpism ends when Trump’s personal effectiveness does — however that may come to pass.

There will probably be a small, but devoted, core of followers — shoot, Roy Moore and even Adolf Hitler still have supporters. But the group will be too small to constitute an effective political force.

So I’m interested to see what other TF posters think. Regardless of whether you agree or not, why do you feel the way you do?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
In the end, Trump is simply a grifter feeding on the gullible to make a profit for himself. He has already raked in a quarter of a billion on the Big Lie. Its all transactional.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and J0eW

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's not an ideological extension of any party...
True, but he is a representation of where the party was going. After Canter got beat it should have been clear that anyone could win the Republican nomination going forward with enough national draw. But having 19 candidates elevated the possibility. Cruz and Trump aren’t the final two standing in 2016 if most got out before Iowa. Now pretty much every potential candidate in 2024 is going to be some form of Trumpish candidate.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
DeSantis has a lot on common with Trump. Trumpism implies an ability to be obnoxious and there is plenty of that trait with others in the party.
Desantis is who I first thought of.

It's all up to the voters, as I've been saying.

Roe falling makes it even more clear that if people want things to change then they are going to have to do something different first - most notably in how they vote.

In some ways, Rs may have been too successful today since the vast majority supported Roe, even if they did not agree with every abortion.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The Republicans have been hanging abortion around the necks of Democrat candidates for the last 50 years like a garlic necklace.

Today, it is a lot easier to run as a Democrat candidate than it was yesterday.

The Republicans will just find something else to be against and that my friend may apply to you today...

Roe falling makes it even more clear that if people want things to change then they are going to have to do something different first - most notably in how they vote.

In some ways, Rs may have been too successful today since the vast majority supported Roe, even if they did not agree with every abortion.

Reactions: UAH

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i don't know if it makes a difference, but desantis does not have that celebrity con-man charisma that trump does. a lot of trump's caché with many of his minions is based on his persona from his reality tv show. can desantis excite those folks the same way?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
i don't know if it makes a difference, but desantis does not have that celebrity con-man charisma that trump does. a lot of trump's caché with many of his minions is based on his persona from his reality tv show. can desantis excite those folks the same way?
I hope Hogan decides to challenge him in the primaries.

Reactions: 92tide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was telling Mrs. Basket Case about this thread, and she asked a great question: What exactly is Trumpism?

In this context, I’m saying rule by force and intimidation, with a healthy dose of vengeance thrown in. Additionally, if the real facts don’t suit your story, make up fictions that do, and present them to your followers as fact.

All those things have existed in American politics since before the founding. But Donald Trump took them to a stratospheric level, and in the process actually motivated a political base far bigger than I ever would have predicted prior to 2018.

I just don’t think the ability to do that is easily transferable after Trump‘s effectiveness declines. There’s no doubt that some will try, but I don’t think they will be nearly as successful.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I was telling Mrs. Basket Case about this thread, and she asked a great question: What exactly is Trumpism?

In this context, I’m saying rule by force and intimidation, with a healthy dose of vengeance thrown in. Additionally, if the real facts don’t suit your story, make up fictions that do, and present them to your followers as fact.

All those things have existed in American politics since before the founding. But Donald Trump took them to a stratospheric level, and in the process actually motivated a political base far bigger than I ever would have predicted prior to 2018.

I just don’t think the ability to do that is easily transferable after Trump‘s effectiveness declines. There’s no doubt that some will try, but I don’t think they will be nearly as successful.
i sure hope that is the case.

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
Cat poop can get pretty strong. Maybe, even hard core GOPers have tired of it or the dog version. Years ago, I heard dog poop described as a dog's calling card.
Trump needs his name attached to strong criminal legislation so future presidents will know that there is punishment ahead if they cross the line.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.