SCOTUS and Roe - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
as an atheist there is nothing rarer than a former one. I have met many that have claimed it but none that I would say was actually an atheist. There are plenty of religious people that have partied their butts off or just behaved like selfish d-bags and then "found" jesus and love to tell you they "used to be an atheist" but they absolutely were not.
I suspect he views the period of his life before he became an extreme fundamentalist and that not being a “true Christian” means being an atheist.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I suspect he views the period of his life before he became an extreme fundamentalist and that not being a “true Christian” means being an atheist.
I had a framer back in the mid-80s for a fairly sizable addition. He was Holiness, and I don't mean to demean that sect, because I understand that their beliefs range over a broad spectrum, even church to church. However, speaking as to this individual, he had been a real hell-raiser and talked about it all the time as the period before his salvation. It happened that his FIL cut hair at the barbershop I was using at the time and my barber had spoken to the FIL at length about their beliefs. One was that, the worse you were before, the more grace you received being saved. The other was it was perfectly OK to cheat and lie to nonbelievers. I won't spell out all the ways he screwed me, but he was a real scumbag...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had a framer back in the mid-80s for a fairly sizable addition. He was Holiness, and I don't mean to demean that sect, because I understand that their beliefs range over a broad spectrum, even church to church. However, speaking as to this individual, he had been a real hell-raiser and talked about it all the time as the period before his salvation. It happened that his FIL cut hair at the barbershop I was using at the time and my barber had spoken to the FIL at length about their beliefs. One was that, the worse you were before, the more grace you received being saved. The other was it was perfectly OK to cheat and lie to nonbelievers. I won't spell out all the ways he screwed me, but he was a real scumbag...
The framer was the scumbag?

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I was inspecting a cattle operation near Sand Mountain back in 2006 or so. I had gotten a runoff complaint about a man's farm. (There was nothing to complain about - his operation was fine.) I was young - maybe 26 or 27. He asked if I was married.. Yes... Kids?... .no..... Then told me he was a preacher & "no offense" but I should be home taking care of my husband & starting a family.... I was polite - told him that I graduated college first & was working hard so that my husband could finish college.... He gave me a little book he'd written about God and peoples calling... I still have it somewhere.

That, a contentious court case, & being shot at near Skyline, AL gave me a really bad taste for far north Alabama... I do like Desoto State Park though.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I was inspecting a cattle operation near Sand Mountain back in 2006 or so. I had gotten a runoff complaint about a man's farm. (There was nothing to complain about - his operation was fine.) I was young - maybe 26 or 27. He asked if I was married.. Yes... Kids?... .no..... Then told me he was a preacher & "no offense" but I should be home taking care of my husband & starting a family.... I was polite - told him that I graduated college first & was working hard so that my husband could finish college.... He gave me a little book he'd written about God and peoples calling... I still have it somewhere.

That, a contentious court case, & being shot at near Skyline, AL gave me a really bad taste for far north Alabama... I do like Desoto State Park though.
Dont forget about the religious snake handlers too

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That NE corner has always been a bit on the lawless side. It was a stronghold of bootlegging during Prohibition and they basically just switched over to drugs after repeal. It seems contradictory, but it's also the Bible belt of Alabama...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.