UCLA and USC WILL Join the B1G in 2024

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Of course the politicians and administrators can still screw this up (and I'm not saying they shouldn't!)

But this is the Big Ten's only play. And the Pac 12 has been so woefully managed and poorly supported. That side of the country simply does not care in large enough numbers. So this was USC's only play, once Texas and OU left the Big 12.

UCLA is simply hitching a ride, IMO.

I agree with you 81, that the Big Ten wants to make sure they do not box out Notre Dame if there is a chance they would join the Big Ten. If there isn't, and I find that implausible at the current juncture, then I think Colorado, Utah, Oregon, and Washington are in play to round out the new nationwide Big Ten.

The SEC's response to all of this, IMO, would have to be some combination of North Carolina, Virginia, FSU, and Clemson. FSU and Clemson for the fan/rivalry angle, and UNC/UVA for the TV markets. Notre Dame would obviously be an attractive add and at the top of the list, but I would imagine they favor the ACC staying together as a first resort, and likely the Big Ten as a second resort.

A lot of political wrangling is going on. Well, it has been going on for several years really.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In the interest of accuracy, my brother the Emmy winner (told me, not who broke it).

This is an absolute bombshell if it happens.
Looks like its pretty much done at this point.

Doomsday is approaching

"

USC and UCLA, two of the Pac-12's flagship programs, are planning to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as 2024, and a move is considered imminent, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

There is still a formal notification process, as the two schools have to let the Pac-12 know their intentions to leave. USC and UCLA also have to formally apply to the Big Ten. According to a source, that process is underway.

Multiple sources told ESPN on Thursday that the move is expected to happen. A source called the next steps "formalities," and an announcement could come within the next 24 hours."

Right now all eyes are on Southbend because if they leave I dont know if the ACC is really that viable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
" The financial pressures being felt by the Pac-12 are similar to those being felt in the ACC and beyond, as conference revenue projections -- which can vary and are not always linear -- have the SEC and Big Ten making nearly double the amount of some of the other Power 5 leagues later this decade. Those financial pressures left USC and UCLA with the choice of bullying the Pac-12 for unequal revenue shares or going elsewhere and having a seat at the table for the long term. The impact of the finances will allow them to not only stay competitive nationally in football but also sustain the support for all of the sports, including women's sports and non-revenue sports."

Yeah this is now a two conference nation

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
True but now its about to be more evident.

I think we are going to see a bunch of ACC schools get loud about Notre Dame not being a full member, and alot of Pac 12 teams begging Washington and Arizona to not leave the PAC 12.
I don't think the Big Ten wants only USC/UCLA without some kind of "bridge" to LA. That's why I keep mentioning Colorado, which we all know is next door to Nebraska and had a mini-rivalry for about 2 minutes in the 80s/90s.

But you are right. The ACC is about to call Notre Dame's bluff. I suspect they won't like what they hear.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The insanity continues. May as well go ahead and nuke the NCAA because the cockroaches are already in charge.
Yeah. I used to care. I have long since stopped. The innocence of my 1990's childhood has been completely destroyed, so, burn it all down.

It will be fascinating to see play out, but ultimately, I don't care how it ends anymore.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The powers that be in the Big 12 must be seething. The rest of the Pac !2 suddenly available and they just added scraps from the AAC and BYU. That's hilarious!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If it is possible, how much would it cost North Carolina or any other ACC team to leave the ACC? I think the next expansion targets by the SEC and possibly Big 10 depends on this.
It wouldn’t be so much that it would matter. ACC has a deal with ESPN as does the SEC. It would probably factor into the B1G more. The ACC isnt strong enough to stop people from moving like the Big XII was. The ACC is ready to fold, its just a matter if Notre Dame believes that they can keep it up on their own.

Notre Dame is a separate issue. NBC and keeping their tradition(s) factors very high into what they do.

Reactions: cjhadley

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.