Peter Woods- Crystal Ball Predictions

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I’m not saying he’s out of touch, I’m saying in this case Saban might be one more old, grouchy, father figure than Woods wants in his life. He went with the cool guy who lets him call him by his first name, and he talks about God which will make the primary old, grouchy, father figure in his life happy.

Bonus points for being 1.75 states away from the father figure.
I understand………. Some come to work and can handle the old grumpy man who sends lots of guys to the NFL, and some like to be pals with the coach who sends some as well…….. but few realize that fire you go through tempers you into hard steel……….

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I understand………. Some come to work and can handle the old grumpy man who sends lots of guys to the NFL, and some like to be pals with the coach who sends some as well…….. but few realize that fire you go through tempers you into hard steel……….
Saban has said on several occasions,when you're in school, I'm not your buddy or your pal, I'm your coach. But after you graduate, hit the NFL or whatever, im your best friend. Sound philosophy.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Saban has said on several occasions,when you're in school, I'm not your buddy or your pal, I'm your coach. But after you graduate, hit the NFL or whatever, im your best friend. Sound philosophy.
Very sound……and if you don’t act entitled and put the work in, he will definitely do all in his power for you

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Yep, think you nailed that. Oh well, next up... This is interesting though:

Is this the same TDA that predicted Paul Tyson would make a serious run at the starting QB job?:rolleyes:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It will be a different story as Alabama makes another NC run this coming season, Coach Saban will make a point too the rest of college football, I just have that feeling we're going too dominate & destroy the rest of college football along the way..

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I always heard Coach Bryant’s pitch was: “If you come to Alabama we’ll have a chance to win the SEC and play for a National Championship. If you don’t come to Alabama, we’ll still have a chance to win the SEC and play for a National Championship.”

forumripper1

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 12, 2022
Looks like Woods really bonded with Dabo. I wonder if GOAT Saban retires in a couple years' and Dabo replaces him. Will Woods follow him to Bama? LOL

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: The Ols

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I've often wondered if it isn't about positional fit with some of these guys. Over the years there have been quite a few of these DEs we miss on and they often seem to head to teams using a 4 man line where they still have a chance to play on the edge as a hand down DE with their body type and build as-is, where if they play for us, it's pretty certain they're going to be asked to add 20-30 pounds and play one of the 3 big-guy roles where the OLBs are the edge players <or> lose 10-20 pounds to be able to play an edge role.

Looking at the clemson depth chart, they've got a TON of DEs in the 260-270 range so he fits their prototype. Looking at the bama depth chart for DL, we only have one guy in the 260's (True freshman without the benefit of our programs yet) and one at 278 (played very minor role in only 4 games, none that were a contest, over 2 years) and all the meaningful contributors are 290+. All the meaningful edge guys are sub 245 (one is 260+, but a TF so I'd bet he morphs one way or the other).

So if clemson is projecting him as an edge DE, or just selling him that he'll have the chance to compete there versus being a DT, he could just feel he that's a better fit for him versus what we are likely telling him.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I've often wondered if it isn't about positional fit with some of these guys. Over the years there have been quite a few of these DEs we miss on and they often seem to head to teams using a 4 man line where they still have a chance to play on the edge as a hand down DE with their body type and build as-is, where if they play for us, it's pretty certain they're going to be asked to add 20-30 pounds and play one of the 3 big-guy roles where the OLBs are the edge players <or> lose 10-20 pounds to be able to play an edge role.

Looking at the clemson depth chart, they've got a TON of DEs in the 260-270 range so he fits their prototype. Looking at the bama depth chart for DL, we only have one guy in the 260's (True freshman without the benefit of our programs yet) and one at 278 (played very minor role in only 4 games, none that were a contest, over 2 years) and all the meaningful contributors are 290+. All the meaningful edge guys are sub 245 (one is 260+, but a TF so I'd bet he morphs one way or the other).

So if clemson is projecting him as an edge DE, or just selling him that he'll have the chance to compete there versus being a DT, he could just feel he that's a better fit for him versus what we are likely telling him.
Very well could be and If that's the case it would have been wise to exclude the comment about Saban.

Reactions: The Ols

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
Very well could be and If that's the case it would have been wise to exclude the comment about Saban.
Clemson is primarily an even 1-Gap 4-3 Over team. At least they were when Venables was there. I guess he could grow into a 3-technique player.I still believe he is primarily a 5-technique player.Or a 4-head-up over the tackle. Possibly a 7-technique in an even front but I am not sure he is a true Edge defender. I cant see him EVER becoming a weakside Wide-9 DE,or even playing that technique over a TE...I think he is an interior player. But thats me.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Clemson is primarily an even 1-Gap 4-3 Over team. At least they were when Venables was there. I guess he could grow into a 3-technique player.I still believe he is primarily a 5-technique player.Or a 4-head-up over the tackle. Possibly a 7-technique in an even front but I am not sure he is a true Edge defender. I cant see him EVER becoming a weakside Wide-9 DE,or even playing that technique over a TE...I think he is an interior player. But thats me.

All good. All I am saying is that Clemson can point to a bunch of guys with almost the same measurables as him who they play as DEs in a 4 man line - edge(ish) guys. They can say you'll compete with them from day 1. We're going to be telling him you've got a lot of work to do (either gaining or losing mass) to compete for roles in our system.

Reactions: UAllday and The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.