The Annual Offensive Line Discussion

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I thought you had to turn your head and look for the ball. Like I said, I don`t know nothin` about DB play!
The problem arises when there's ANY contact and you've not turned to find the ball. The refs aren't very forgiving (incidental contact / equal access to the ball) if there's contact and you're not even looking at the ball.

Reactions: tideindc

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The problem arises when there's ANY contact and you've not turned to find the ball. The refs aren't very forgiving (incidental contact / equal access to the ball) if there's contact and you're not even looking at the ball.
Well then, that seems to happen a lot. I know I`m not the only one screaming, " Turn your head for pity`s sake !! "

Reactions: Superdad

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Well then, that seems to happen a lot. I know I`m not the only one screaming, " Turn your head for pity`s sake !! "
Our guys are late a lot turning their heads. Our guys are also susceptible to the underthrown ball, which always gets called even if there’s no way the receiver could catch the ball.

Given the help from the lack of penalties on the receivers, defensive technique has fallen behind in college football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Our guys are late a lot turning their heads. Our guys are also susceptible to the underthrown ball, which always gets called even if there’s no way the receiver could catch the ball.
If the DB isn't in phase, they don't turn for the ball. This is Saban DB101. Turn for the ball when you're half a step off and you just gave the opposing team a TD.

Saban teaches this technique because the CFB rule favors the defense (relative to the NFL rule). Getting 'burned' only costs you 15 yards in CFB - not a TD.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
If the DB isn't in phase, they don't turn for the ball. This is Saban DB101. Turn for the ball when you're half a step off and you just gave the opposing team a TD.

Saban teaches this technique because the CFB rule favors the defense (relative to the NFL rule). Getting 'burned' only costs you 15 yards in CFB - not a TD.
You’re right on both points.
But I chuckled reading “rule favors the defense”. I KNOW you meant relative to NFL, I just laughed at the idea of a rule in todays game favoring the defense.:cool:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

All that's because, if the DB isn't exactly in phase with the WR when he turns his head, the distance between the DB and the WR actually increases, which likewise increases the chances of giving up a big play. So if the DB is behind the WR, even if it's by only a half-step (or even a quarter), his best chance for breaking up the pass is to knock it out as the WR is bringing it in.

IOW, turning your head is often not the right defensive move. This topic comes up every year, pretty much like clockwork, and as CA says, it's Saban DB101. Maybe even Saban DB001. And yes, I hear lots of people yelling about it in the stands. I'll take Saban's word over theirs.

Saban says it's actually one of the hardest things for a young DB to learn. They've been the best athletes on the field for their whole lives and have often just used sheer athleticism to overcome poor technique. Works in HS....the SEC, not so much. The struggle is getting the youngster to admit, even to himself, that he's not in phase.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I had forgotten of the OL coaching change. That does throw an X factor in since they may have a different view on who is the best. Probably the most interesting battle might be between Dalcourt and McLaughlin who both had their moments in 2021. Damieon George has been on the event horizon for a while. It seemed JC Latham had turned the corner and I expect him to find a spot. Steen was obviously brought in to play but he will have to beat out a few, possibly Amari Knight and Tyler Booker, unless that Brokermeyer kid really improved this summer.

Reactions: bama579

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I had forgotten of the OL coaching change. That does throw an X factor in since they may have a different view on who is the best. Probably the most interesting battle might be between Dalcourt and McLaughlin who both had their moments in 2021. Damieon George has been on the event horizon for a while. It seemed JC Latham had turned the corner and I expect him to find a spot. Steen was obviously brought in to play but he will have to beat out a few, possibly Amari Knight and Tyler Booker, unless that Brokermeyer kid really improved this summer.
George had a really rough few games last year at RT when he stepped in for Owens who moved to C. It was bad enough they had to move Owens back. George was at OG in the spring from what I can recall, and that appears to be a better spot for him.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm very hopeful about the new coach and his impact on this group. I liked watching Kentucky play in recent years - tough and physical. I think with the raw talent accumulated in this group that finding 6-7 winning players is very possible.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm hoping like you the TB takes a step up this season. No reason to think differently given his genes.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Glad to see you bring this back to the OL discussion as the thread is intended.

Reactions: bama579

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Latham didn't look like a RT in the spring game. He looked helpless at times against that outside rush.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Latham didn't look like a RT in the spring game. He looked helpless at times against that outside rush.
I don`t know if Latham is the answer at RT, but the guys we have coming from the outside will make a lot of OTs look helpless. Our O line most likely has the best defensive front and pass rush they`ll see this year lined up against them in practice.

Reactions: CB4 and teamplayer

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
one of our issues last year was communication. Dalcourt was a new center last year and struggled with the calls. That is why we saw some improvement when Seth McLaughlin stepped in. Seth did struggle in the NCG.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
one of our issues last year was communication. Dalcourt was a new center last year and struggled with the calls. That is why we saw some improvement when Seth McLaughlin stepped in. Seth did struggle in the NCG.
It does look like Dalcourt is the more physically capable while McLaughlin had the mental game down. Like I said it's going to be an interesting battle to watch. I do have bad memories of the Shula years where we had a UAB transfer starting at center and it was like a jail break up the middle, So who ever starts better have the power to stand up a Georgia nose guard.

Reactions: seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.