Question: OU's Cale Gundy (not Mike Gundy of OSU) resigned for "words that weren't his". ???

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
There are some words you just cannot say in public if you want to keep your job. That is simply the lay of the land.
Coach Gundy said one of them apparently.
With all due respect…
the ”intention” of the word by the speaker…as well as the “interpretation“ of the word by the audience…makes the distinction.
The word is used as both a term of hate and of love…and I can’t think of many other words used in our society that have such a profoundly diverse range of meaning…or interpretation.

Reactions: Toddrn

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
In before the field trip to Non Sports.

His absence will hurt Oklahoma, he’s a good recruiter and has been at the university for a while. He will be hard to replace.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You know, the world has gone so crazy with some things, Cale could have simply said, "I'm a man" like his brother did and there's a vocal contingent online that would be demanding the same kind of resignation.

And I'm NOT kidding when I say that, either.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
On a personal note, if I worked in live sports television (say, in the booth with Kirk Herbstreit calling football games live), I would have to work really hard on not cutting loose with a colorful expletive when I bang my thumb. I spent 25 years in the Army and when I get angry or something frustrates me sometimes a word slips out that should not. If I let one go live on air, I know I would be shown the door. And it has nothing to do with being puritanical. You just cannot say some things if in that line of work.
Same with Coach Gundy. There are simply some words you cannot ever say. Intentions do not matter. It does not even matter if no one in the room was offended. You just cannot say certain words.
I hope Coach Gundy finds another opportunity. I know nothing about him. He might have a heart of gold. With the passage of time, he might find some other school willing to give him a chance, but his vocabulary will be on a short leash.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and UAH

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On a personal note, if I worked in live sports television (say, in the booth with Kirk Herbstreit calling football games live), I would have to work really hard on not cutting loose with a colorful expletive when I bang my thumb. I spent 25 years in the Army and when I get angry or something frustrates me sometimes a word slips out that should not. If I let one go live on air, I know I would be shown the door. And it has nothing to do with being puritanical. You just cannot say some things if in that line of work.
Lee Corso says 'hi'.

:)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Did Corso cut loose on air?
Oh my, I can't link it but CGD was at SMU / Houston about 10 years ago but yeah, dropped the F-bomb. Herbstreit's response was epic-ly funny.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Oh my, I can't link it but CGD was at SMU / Houston about 10 years ago but yeah, dropped the F-bomb. Herbstreit's response was epic-ly funny.

I must have been overseas or something. Wow. Lucky he survived that.
I think Stephen A used the N-word on ESPN. He response was that he did not say it, but, listening to it later, it was clear he did.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
She sure is a “looker”….

….I just can’t figure out what it is she looks like….
From your link:

1660051223555.png

Yeah, this doesn't pass the smell test and unless this gets buried quick, fast and in a hurry, will more than likely reveal that Venables wasn't honest about what actually happened and used Gundy as the sacrificial lamb to "make it go away". Stay tuned folks, we have a clown show in the making in Norman, OK!!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He had to go, you can’t do what he did, but spare me that it doesn’t represent the values of your football team. If it did the player would be off the team as well.
At some point, society will hold both parties accountable in situations like these. At what point, I'm not sure. But if the word has no place in our society, it has no place, under any circumstance regardless of whose mouth it proceeds from.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
At some point, society will hold both parties accountable in situations like these. At what point, I'm not sure. But if the word has no place in our society, it has no place, under any circumstance regardless of whose mouth it proceeds from.
I’ve never understood why it’s ok for those who such words are used against to use the words themselves

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I must have been overseas or something. Wow. Lucky he survived that.
I think Stephen A used the N-word on ESPN. He response was that he did not say it, but, listening to it later, it was clear he did.
The Corso thing was the morning after Iowa St upset Okie State, not that that had anything to do with anything (but will give you a point of reference).

That was also the day we played Georgia Southern, and they ran all over us but didn't win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.