Big Ten finalizing a deal with Fox, CBS, and NBC for media rights. ESPN will no longer carry B1G games after deal expires

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Finally some decent football on Fox and NBC
Well, it sounds like it will just be Fox Sports for the cable part of the package.

The interesting part of this to me is NBC. They did want a lead-in for Notre Dame, but this could put them in a situation to try to force Notre Dame into the Big 10. They would own some Big 10 TV rights, why pay big money to keep their deal with Notre Dame?

The broader implications would be that the battle lines would be way more clearly drawn. ESPN vs. these other media companies and specifically SEC vs. Big 10. This gives the SEC some leverage if they do end up going after ACC schools in the future, since the deal both conferences have are with ESPN.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, it sounds like it will just be Fox Sports for the cable part of the package.

The interesting part of this to me is NBC. They did want a lead-in for Notre Dame, but this could put them in a situation to try to force Notre Dame into the Big 10. They would own some Big 10 TV rights, why pay big money to keep their deal with Notre Dame?

The broader implications would be that the battle lines would be way more clearly drawn. ESPN vs. these other media companies and specifically SEC vs. Big 10. This gives the SEC some leverage if they do end up going after ACC schools in the future, since the deal both conferences have are with ESPN.
For better or worse it is SEC/ESPN vs. B1G/Over the Air Networks.

I prefer Over the Air, to be honest.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Don't know why so many Bama fans hate gary. According to lsu fans, he is a huge Bama fan.
Because he finds any negative thing against Bama and harps on it FOR-EH-VER. He blabbed about Terrance Cody's helmet being off after the Rocky Block for 20 minutes it seemed like.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
For better or worse it is SEC/ESPN vs. B1G/Over the Air Networks.

I prefer Over the Air, to be honest.
I do to as well. I honestly don't think ESPN is that good for college football. Take bowl season for instance, it was great to be able to sit down and swap through channels and watch bowl games all day on broadcast TV. Championship games on cable? Stuff like that is bad for long term grown.

I remember reading somewhere that part of the NFL's strategy is that they wanted to keep a lot of games on broadcast. As I understand it that's one reason that ESPN didn't get the traditional big Monday night game. So yeah, it's a bit unfortunate that the SEC is on the pay tv side of things. However, if North Carolina is going to cut a deal to leave the ACC, ESPN is only going to offer friendly terms if the destination is the SEC...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.