Nick Saban called 2021 a ‘rebuilding year'...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have said it on here multiple times, only 4 teams (3 programs) since 1976 have won back-to-back national championships and it wasn't because all those other teams didn't have talent. Its an almost impossible task in sports.....(except basketball). Especially in college football. Team Turnover, Staff turnover, Injury luck, Schedule luck and team chemistry have to be almost perfect two years in a row.
Every single one of those examples you cite (since 1976) are due to extentuating circumstances that have nothing to do with how good a team is.

1978-79 Alabama - only happened because there were two polls
1994-95 Nebraska - may have only happened because they could avoid playing the #2 team
2003-04 USC - only happened because of a revolt in the AP poll
2011-12 Alabama - only happened because Ohio St was on probation

The closest we've had is Alabama leading Clemson until Pick Play II to end the 2016 season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of the media folks are losing their minds on this, I don't get it. It was kind of a rebuilding year, and there were injuries that hurt us but we still made the natty. I wish SABAN would put a buttwhooping on every team we play, don't care who it is. He won't do it out of respect for the opponent, I know, but man it would be great to see.
Reminder:

These are the very same "media folks" who recite the same two contradictory mantras every single year and get away with it.

1) Alabama plays a schedule of cupcakes.

2) We should expand the playoff because (wait for it) it would be nice to see (UCF/Utah/Boise St) have a chance, oh yeah, they won (name the short list of games) when they played big team

IF as they say "any team can actually beat any team" then it DOES NOT MATTER if Alabama plays cupcakes every week, they're just as likely to lose to WCU as to Georgia.

The Tim Brandos of the world complain about the Alabama schedule then turn right around and think a lesser schedule means a UCF should get a seat at the same table "because they won all their games."

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Reminder:

These are the very same "media folks" who recite the same two contradictory mantras every single year and get away with it.

1) Alabama plays a schedule of cupcakes.

2) We should expand the playoff because (wait for it) it would be nice to see (UCF/Utah/Boise St) have a chance, oh yeah, they won (name the short list of games) when they played big team

IF as they say "any team can actually beat any team" then it DOES NOT MATTER if Alabama plays cupcakes every week, they're just as likely to lose to WCU as to Georgia.

The Tim Brandos of the world complain about the Alabama schedule then turn right around and think a lesser schedule means a UCF should get a seat at the same table "because they won all their games."
Tim Brando is such a insufferable turd that should be gifted a lifetime supply of midol for the way he whines and cries on social media.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Jeez, there is no comprehension anymore in the media. He didn’t say it was a rebuilding year, wasn’t making an excuse. he said it was a kind of rebuilding year. I love how so many cherry pick a comment out of context of a larger conversation and run with it. The comment didn’t even raise the eyebrows of Cubelic, nor should it Have. Given replacing all the first round NFL picks from the offense , including 3 in the top ten of Heisman voting, plus a creative OC and transitioning to more of a pro style offense with a pro style OC. then throw in all the injuries, and the lack of leadership, it was kind of a rebuilding year.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Continuing my rewatch of last year.
Bama took care of Miss. State, but the Vols gave Bama all it wanted for the first half. For the first quarter and a half, LSU was a lot to handle.
As Pate noted, Bama had to replace a lot of talent after the NFL draft, but I think last year's team lacked leadership and maturity. An immature Bama plays down to the opponent. LSU was a 28 point underdog and Bama appeared to take them lightly until Mr. Anderson lit a fire under his teammates' backsides.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Bama took care of Miss. State, but the Vols gave Bama all it wanted for the first half. For the first quarter and a half, LSU was a lot to handle.
As Pate noted, Bama had to replace a lot of talent after the NFL draft, but I think last year's team lacked leadership and maturity. An immature Bama plays down to the opponent. LSU was a 28 point underdog and Bama appeared to take them lightly until Mr. Anderson lit a fire under his teammates' backsides.
like I said before, very 1991ish.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My recall isn't so good but am I correct in saying that a pass by the LSU QB into the end zone , which would have at least tied the game late, was high but the receiver got both hands on the ball before it bounced out of the end zone.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My recall isn't so good but am I correct in saying that a pass by the LSU QB into the end zone , which would have at least tied the game late, was high but the receiver got both hands on the ball before it bounced out of the end zone.
The game ended on a Hail Mary which nine players from both teams were in the endzone, but Branch knocked it away.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Bama just did not dominate teams last year. They generally squeaked by. (or in some cases not).
Next year, however, I expect the Mongols at Baghdad.
I can be a bit of glass half full type sometime but I do expect that a couple of teams will be able to run on Alabama and as a consequence be able to throw the ball. I believe that is a very real expectation for modern no huddle offenses. The difference has to be the offense being able to run the ball and make longer drives. The Bama defense will dominate if the opponent is forced to play from behind. With an SEC schedule there will be some nail biters.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I can be a bit of glass half full type sometime but I do expect that a couple of teams will be able to run on Alabama and as a consequence be able to throw the ball. I believe that is a very real expectation for modern no huddle offenses. The difference has to be the offense being able to run the ball and make longer drives. The Bama defense will dominate if the opponent is forced to play from behind. With an SEC schedule there will be some nail biters.
Only if the starters have Covid and prickly heat on game day. Both the offense and defense will be greatly improved over last year.

Reactions: Con

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Only if the starters have Covid and prickly heat on game day. Both the offense and defense will be greatly improved over last year.
As CNS would say "Poison" "Rat Poison". If that is the case all we have to do is show up!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.