News Article: Yearning for a Banana Republic

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
I’ll put it plainly: If your “belief” in our country is so fragile and pathetic that you will lose “hope for our nation” unless Donald Trump is given free reign to cleanse the land of evildoers, then you don’t actually believe in this nation. If your love of country is contingent on your preferred faction being in power, you’ve confused partisanship for patriotism. Taken seriously, all of this banana republic talk is un-American.

I don’t mean it’s a wrong or flawed argument or simply an argument I don’t like—though it is all those things. I mean it is literally an un-American argument because it fundamentally betrays the whole idea of this country. And I’d say this if the claims were made about any politician. Indeed, I did. When Barack Obama’s boosters claimed he would fix our “broken souls” (in Michelle Obama’s words), I spared no effort in denouncing them. When Joe Biden sermonized about how “unity”—under his banner—was the answer to all our problems, I trotted out all my arguments against the “cult of unity,” which constantly threatens our constitutional system of separated powers and divided government.

If you’re worried about America looking like a banana republic, please don’t tell me that the first president in American history to defecate on the peaceful transfer of power is the antidote to the rot of Third World corruption of our regime. He is the rot.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Steven Benjamin Goodman (July 25, 1948 – September 20, 1984) was an American folk and country singer-songwriter from Chicago. He wrote the song "City of New Orleans," which was recorded by Arlo Guthrie and many others including John Denver, The Highwaymen, and Judy Collins; in 1985, it received a Grammy award for best country song, as performed by Willie Nelson.

Goodman had a small but dedicated group of fans for his albums and concerts during his lifetime. His most frequently sung song is the Chicago Cubs anthem, "Go Cubs Go". Goodman died of leukemia in September 1984.

Four days after Goodman's death, the Chicago Cubs clinched the National League East division title for the first time ever, earning them their first post-season appearance since 1945, three years before Goodman's birth. Eight days later, on October 2, the Cubs played their first post-season game since Game 7 of the 1945 World Series. Goodman had been asked to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" before it; Jimmy Buffett filled in, and dedicated the song to Goodman. Since the late 2000s, at the conclusion of every home game win, the Cubs play (and fans sing) "Go, Cubs, Go", a song Goodman wrote for his beloved team.

In April 1988, some of Goodman's ashes were scattered at Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago Cubs.
=================

Of course, with that said, we have to post Jimmy doing the song at good old Wrigley Field.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I have an affinity for any of the old National League teams, since I was a die-hard Braves fan - back before that post-season cancellation that ruined everything.

The two Superstations - WTBS and WGN, of course aired their games almost every night they played.

Wednesday night was the "Game of the Week", so no Braves baseball on TBS that night. But - sometimes you got lucky - and the Braves WERE part of that "Game of the Week"!

Reactions: UAH

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I’ll put it plainly: If your “belief” in our country is so fragile and pathetic that you will lose “hope for our nation” unless Donald Trump is given free reign to cleanse the land of evildoers, then you don’t actually an believe in this nation. If your love of country is contingent on your preferred faction being in power, you’ve confused partisanship for patriotism. Taken seriously, all of this banana republic talk is un-American.

dled I don’t mean it’s a wrong or flawed argument or simply an argument I don’t like—though it is all those things. I mean it is literally an un-American argument because it fundamentally betrays the whole idea of this country. And I’d say this if the claims were made about any politician. Indeed, I did. When Barack Obama’s boosters claimed he would fix our “broken souls” (in Michelle Obama’s words), I spared no effort in denouncing them. When Joe Biden sermonized about how “unity”—under his banner—was the answer to all our problems, I trotted out all my arguments against the “cult of unity,” which constantly threatens our constitutional system of separated powers and divided government.

If you’re worried about America looking like a banana republic, please don’t tell me that the first president in American history to defecate on the peaceful transfer of power is the antidote to the rot of Third World corruption of our regime. He is the rot.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you people?

So..... the best we can do in `24 is another contest between an addled old fool and an egomaniacal narcissist? I know I`m excited.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
C`mon Earle, LOL, I`m only 74 but I can string two sentences together and I bet you can too! Apparently a lot of people in his own party don`t think he should run.
I'm 83 my next birthday, youngster, older than Biden. :) Biden is sharp. People just confuse articulateness with intelligence. He's far sharper than Trump will ever be. That said, I think it would be better if he didn't run. But, if it comes down to him vs. Trump, that's no choice for me...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I'm always amazed at these kinds of descriptions of Biden. It's very revealing...
I thought he was talking about Biden when he said:

"egomaniacal narcissist "

And whether or not you agree....if Biden decides to run again - you'll have your answer. Because his ego would be the only reason he would do this.

In my opinion. ;)

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I'm 83 my next birthday, youngster, older than Biden. :) Biden is sharp. People just confuse articulateness with intelligence. He's far sharper than Trump will ever be. That said, I think it would be better if he didn't run. But, if it comes down to him vs. Trump, that's no choice for me...
I’d prefer to see him finish out this term and be able to enjoy his remaining time with his family. He’s earned it

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought he was talking about Biden when he said:

"egomaniacal narcissist "

And whether or not you agree....if Biden decides to run again - you'll have your answer. Because his ego would be the only reason he would do this.

In my opinion. ;)
No, if he's convinced he's the only one who can defeat Trump, he'll run. He has a very impressive legislative resume, if you approve his agenda. Employment is booming. Inflation is cooling. Gas is down. If the economy keeps improving, he would be very hard to beat. The people calling him senile, etc., mostly have an agenda. They parse every sentence for proof. His sentences are complete, unlike Trump, who seems to speak in some sort of shorthand, unlike when he was younger and sharper, although he's never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. His coworkers on "The Apprentice" have testified to that. The difference in the educational levels of Biden's supporters vs. Trumps is very telling. Ignorance loves ignorance. It's very reinforcing...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
No, if he's convinced he's the only one who can defeat Trump, he'll run. He has a very impressive legislative resume, if you approve his agenda. Employment is booming. Inflation is cooling. Gas is down. If the economy keeps improving, he would be very hard to beat. The people calling him senile, etc., mostly have an agenda. They parse every sentence for proof. His sentences are complete, unlike Trump, who seems to speak in some sort of shorthand, unlike when he was younger and sharper, although he's never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. His coworkers on "The Apprentice" have testified to that. The difference in the educational levels of Biden's supporters vs. Trumps is very telling. Ignorance loves ignorance. It's very reinforcing...
Biden has a huge ego.

But because he's a politician, you don't see his ego manifested like you do with Trump - who has never been a politician.

As I have said before - you can call Trump supporters ignorant, uneducated, and unitelligent all you want. But the fact remains he got elected because the country was pretty fed up with "politicians' and many of them loved the political incorrectness they got from Trump.

I understand your POV and not trying to get into a debate.

I would prefer neither run in 2024. I know we can do better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Biden has a huge ego.

But because he's a politician, you don't see his ego manifested like you do with Trump - who has never been a politician.

As I have said before - you can call Trump supporters ignorant, uneducated, and unitelligent all you want. But the fact remains he got elected because the country was pretty fed up with "politicians' and many of them loved the political incorrectness they got from Trump.

I understand your POV and not trying to get into a debate.

I would prefer neither run in 2024. I know we can do better.
Of course Biden has a huge ego. You have to, in order to stand all the slings and arrows they have to. Let me define "ignorance." It's willful unwillingness to learn. I've known many ignorant people with college degrees. OTOH, one of my closest friends has not an hour of college credit, but he can debate you into a shuddering heap on international finance. (And probably in Trivial Pursuits also.) OTOH, what can be - and has been - polled is the educational level of the supporters of both. It's striking. And suburban, where the next election will be decided. My larger point was and is that people who underestimate Biden, calling him senile, addled, etc., because he's not bombastic, do so at their peril...

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Of course Biden has a huge ego. You have to, in order to stand all the slings and arrows they have to. Let me define "ignorance." It's willful unwillingness to learn. I've known many ignorant people with college degrees. OTOH, one of my closest friends has not an hour of college credit, but he can debate you into a shuddering heap on international finance. (And probably in Trivial Pursuits also.) OTOH, what can be - and has been - polled is the educational level of the supporters of both. It's striking. And suburban, where the next election will be decided. My larger point was and is that people who underestimate Biden, calling him senile, addled, etc., because he's not bombastic, do so at their peril...
That and the same guy who made fun of a disabled reported would have supporters who make fun of a man with a life long stutter

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I just said he had a big ego. That's all.

Would love to see a candidate that didn't have to rely on a particular demographic to win - but that's another discussion and probably belongs in this thread:

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
interestingly enough, dems have consistently been pulling large majorities of votes from a variety of demographics and chipping away at that one particular demographic the gop courts.

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
C`mon Earle, LOL, I`m only 74 but I can string two sentences together and I bet you can too! Apparently a lot of people in his own party don`t think he should run.
yeah …. I get it…. Biden is the Columbo of presidents.

However, Biden knows how to get stuff passed in Congress better than anyone I’ve ever seen 1960.

The problem with the Democratic Party is you can’t make the progressives and conservatives happy on the same day …. However, those of us in the middle will vote for Biden again.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That and the same guy who made fun of a disabled reported would have supporters who make fun of a man with a life long stutter
Also insulted and mocked a Gold Star Family and POWs.

Donald Trump is trash.

I don't think too highly of anyone who would support someone who does those things either.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Also insulted and mocked a Gold Star Family and POWs.

Donald Trump is trash.

I don't think too highly of anyone who would support someone who does those things either.
I agree. Donald Trump is and always was total trash as a person, so far as character is concerned. He has none. Except for Mary, most of his family is right along with him...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.