Fall Camp Catchall (practices, scrimmages, injuries)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not loving what I’m hearing about Ricks. He was supposed to come in and be a starter right away. For him to still be “learning the defense” in fall camp is not a great sign.
Agreed.

There was also some commentary from someone (can’t remember who), mentioning a struggle to understand the role of the position in the overall defense. Then went on to say that too much gunning for big plays leaves you vulnerable to giving them up the other way.

That reminded me that he had a bunch of interceptions in his freshman year at LSU. I wonder if he was free-lancing too much there as well, and just didn’t pay the price.

Shocking I know that a player on Orgeron’s defense would lack positional discipline, but I’m now wondering a few things: (1) Will Ricks’ development take more time than we thought? (2) If so, did we miss that in the course of recruiting him out of the portal? Or (3) did we see it, but decided his physical talent was worth the investment in mental training?

Regardless, it does seem that Ricks isn’t yet quite dependable enough to get a ton of playing time against a quality non-conference or SEC opponent.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m not gonna start feeling great about our receiving corps until I see them do something. It’s been a couple yrs now since anyone we brought in as a non transfer has been close to an impact player.
I wish I could disagree. Metchie is the last one I can think of. Maybe Brooks on the basis of the barn game, but that’s just one game.

Reactions: tideindc

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agreed.

There was also some commentary from someone (can’t remember who), mentioning a struggle to understand the role of the position in the overall defense. Then went on to say that too much gunning for big plays leaves you vulnerable to giving them up the other way.

That reminded me that he had a bunch of interceptions in his freshman year at LSU. I wonder if he was free-lancing too much there as well, and just didn’t pay the price.

Shocking I know that a player on Orgeron’s defense would lack positional discipline, but I’m now wondering a few things: (1) Will Ricks’ development take more time than we thought? (2) If so, did we miss that in the course of recruiting him out of the portal? Or (3) did we see it, but decided his physical talent was worth the investment in mental training?

Regardless, it does seem that Ricks isn’t yet quite dependable enough to get a ton of playing time against a quality non-conference or SEC opponent.
Probably just as much a commentary on the nature of CNS`s schemes and associated assignments as compared to the one he played in at LSU. That one was indeed perhaps " freelance" compared to what he`s in now. He obviously has physical ability.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think you're right. I was thinking about the A-Day game, rather than Georgia. The WRs looked good in A-Day. Leary dropped one, but otherwise played well. Jo Jo dropped 3. That was all the drops by WRs.
Three drops by a guy you're counting on as a starter, or at least a material contributor, strikes me as a lot. Moot point, though, until he returns from the broken foot.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One thing to keep in mind regarding the cornerbacks….. last year Georgia’s pass rush covered up issues at corner. We have time to let those guys get their chemistry. Our front seven, and our safeties are top notch. If we can get an effective pass rush with the front 5-6, That will free up the safeties to protect the corners

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agreed.

I think it was even brought up back in the spring that he was having issues learning the various coverages and assignments. And yes I do believe Eli was “hamstrung” playing under Ogre. And we know CNS expects his DB’s to be able to read and make the right decision.

Not trying to “hammer” Eli. But there will be times that his talent and abilities can’t overcome putting himself in a bad spot coverage wise. But CNS frequently says “it isn’t about “doing it right”. It is about doing it enough “the right way” so that you don’t get it wrong.

I kinda think that is where Eli is. He can do it “right”. I just don’t think he has done it right enough that CNS trusts, when the pressure is on, he won’t get it wrong.

Reactions: BearFoot

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
All off one scrimmage? I bet we'll see significant improvements in next scrimmage from wrs
I sincerely hope you're right about improvement.

To me, the issue isn't so much the drops in the one scrimmage....that can happen. It was more the fact that the drops are a continuation of a problem that's been an issue since at least December of 2021.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Oatis is becoming a really interesting story. Way overweight this time last year, but has worked hard and lost 50 - 70 pounds, while apparently maintaining strength.

The question will be how long he can sustain — as in, can he be a 3-down player, or will he be limited to mainly passing downs? It’ll be fun finding out.
Great to hear about Oatis and how he has worked so hard in the short time he has been on campus. We are going to be deep at DT with Burroughs, Dale, Smith and Oatis.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Some quick notes from The Athletic (behind paywall) on the scrimmage

- WRs had drops, specifically Brooks had a few
- starting 3 wrs were Brooks, Burton and Holden
- when going 5 wide Leary and Prentice came in
- Tyler Harell is still learning the playbook. Got open deep once but Milroe missed him
- also heard positive things about Shazz Preston

- starting OL from left to right was Steen, Randolph, Dalcourt, Ekiyor, Latham
- 2nd team OL was Knight, Cohen, McLaughlin, Booker, George

-Gibbs is the real deal and is "even better than we thought"

- Jahim Oatis is getting some first team reps. One source said "we can't move Oatis" meaning even double teams aren't pushing him back
-Burroughs is looking good

- Moody has inside track to start with To'oTo'o

-Barswell is considered elite along with Turner and Anderson
- Keanu Koht is making plays and making some noise even with the 3 edge guys in front of him

- Ricks and Arnold got time at 1st team CB across from Kool Aid. Sounds like Ricks still isn't comfortable in the defense which is definitely a flag. But Arnold has played well
here is the write up from The Athletic . It is not behind a paywall if anyone is still interseted

. Bama scrimmage notes

• Thank You
Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Proud of Kendall Randolph , he seems to have found a home at Left Guard. Also, I thought we would have heard from one of the Brockermeyers on the two deep. Dalcourt running with the ones at center was a little surprising after McGlaughlin seemed to stabilize the unit when he came in last year. I believe Dalcourt is the more talented player though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.