Question: What Is Your Favorite Moment (Not Game) Of The Saban Era?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
To this day the first few moments against Clemson in Atlanta, where Alabama was ranked like 50th and a huge underdog to Clemson who were maybe 11th or top 10. Mount Cody crushed their All American running back on consecutive plays. You just got this feeling that the football world had changed, and boy... was that feeling right.
One of the last games I attended. I remember the anticipation leading up to that game. And then wham, told the college football world "here we come".....haven't looked back since.

Don't think Bowden ever recovered from that beat down either. Saban basically ended his career that day.

My favorite moment at a game though......Kitchens to Riddle TD to win the Iron Bowl....Legion Field. I was too low in the stadium, right behind the Bama sideline towards one endzone. TD was on the other end of the field....I NEVER SAW IT. I remember talking to an old man in front of me that was rambling on about how we were going to lose, there was no way etc.....I told him, nah, we've got it right here. I knew we won when the crowd erupted.

Reactions: GboyBama and dtgreg

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To this day the first few moments against Clemson in Atlanta, where Alabama was ranked like 50th and a huge underdog to Clemson who were maybe 11th or top 10. Mount Cody crushed their All American running back on consecutive plays. You just got this feeling that the football world had changed, and boy... was that feeling right.
That was my favorite as well….not necessarily those plays, but the fact that we came out running the ball right at them, and our OL was consistently blowing their front seven back 4-5 yards. Glenn Coffee was halfway to a first down before he was ever touched. Our DL was manhandling their OL, and they had no answer. In the second half, Clemson had had enough, and was clearly turning down hits. It was the first example of MTAQ.

Like you, I knew things were different now.

A favorite story from that game: Pretty often during the games, the Georgia Dome used to provide the phone number to text to report unruly fan behavior. A Clemson fan got so frustrated he texted, “Unauthorized person on the Clemson sideline. Some guy with gray hair and khaki pants is impersonating a head football coach.”

Coming in to Atlanta with a big ranking and being a clear favorite over us, Tommy Bowden didn’t last 5 more games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We were actually ranked I think. And I have this memory of Clemson being #3. I think they were 3 and we were 24. They were thought of as a NC contender. I remember they had this monster recruiting class that had come in and they started the freshman RB (it was a recruiting promise) over CJ Spiller, maybe? And the freshman promptly got stuffed on that first play.

That was the beginning of the end for Tommy Bowden.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some times that stand out to me kinda in the order they hit me:

1. When CNS jumped into AJ's arms after one of the LSU games (or was it Georgia?)

2. CNS running out onto the field after the 2nd and 26 play. Probably his most "unbridled moment" of his UA coaching career.

3. CNS's smirk after the onside kick against Clemson!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We were actually ranked I think. And I have this memory of Clemson being #3. I think they were 3 and we were 24. They were thought of as a NC contender. I remember they had this monster recruiting class that had come in and they started the freshman RB (it was a recruiting promise) over CJ Spiller, maybe? And the freshman promptly got stuffed on that first play.

That was the beginning of the end for Tommy Bowden.
We were 24, they were 9 (in the AP poll).
We were unranked in the coaches' poll.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
a side story that has nothing to do with this thread but with your post...

After graduating from Bama my wife got her grad degree at Fifteenasee. Peyton Manning was a freshman and literally ran over my wife (who is 5'2") and scattered her books everywhere. He probably never saw her and apologized profusely ("Ma'am I'm really sorry!) and picked up her books for her.
How dare you post something positive about Peyton.

I'm reporting this to the site owner.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
This was my second choice! I remember them completely unable, TOTALLY UNABLE (like Cincy last year), to stop our run. I knew we had them beaten if we didn't give the game away with mistakes. It was glorious.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
a side story that has nothing to do with this thread but with your post...

After graduating from Bama my wife got her grad degree at Fifteenasee. Peyton Manning was a freshman and literally ran over my wife (who is 5'2") and scattered her books everywhere. He probably never saw her and apologized profusely ("Ma'am I'm really sorry!) and picked up her books for her.
Reagan’s 11th commandment was, “thou shalt not disparage fellow Republicans.” Tidefans’ 11th commandment ought to be, “thou shall not say anything positive about anyone orange.”

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
With all of the amazing moments, that's actually the very first one that came to my mind. I've said this on TideFans before, but with that win, I knew Alabama had fundamentally changed. Before Saban, they would have lost that game 9 times out of 10 because of a lack of self confidence (that comes from a lack of mental toughness).
It was the first time alabama had come from behind after trailing in the 4th qtr in five or six years. 1 year with fran fraud (2002) and 4 with shula (2003-2006). Saban came in and did it in 3 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: GboyBama

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
One of my favorite moments of Coach Saban’s leadership, is after the NC game last year in the interview with Anderson and Young. Just when Anderson and Young were dismissed from interview, Coach Saban stopped them and built them up.
I am reading the new book by Talty on Saban's leadership. Good book. I liked "4th and Goal Every Day" better, but this book is still interesting to read. RTR

Reactions: J Hannah

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
That was my favorite as well….not necessarily those plays, but the fact that we came out running the ball right at them, and our OL was consistently blowing their front seven back 4-5 yards. Glenn Coffee was halfway to a first down before he was ever touched. Our DL was manhandling their OL, and they had no answer. In the second half, Clemson had had enough, and was clearly turning down hits. It was the first example of MTAQ.

Like you, I knew things were different now.

A favorite story from that game: Pretty often during the games, the Georgia Dome used to provide the phone number to text to report unruly fan behavior. A Clemson fan got so frustrated he texted, “Unauthorized person on the Clemson sideline. Some guy with gray hair and khaki pants is impersonating a head football coach.”

Coming in to Atlanta with a big ranking and being a clear favorite over us, Tommy Bowden didn’t last 5 more games.
3DD060EE-20F1-47AC-865D-1D390AD88A9B.jpeg3DD060EE-20F1-47AC-865D-1D390AD88A9B.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.