Question: Are Opposing Teams Good at Guesing OR Are We Tipping Our Plays on Offense???

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I felt that the whole dadgum game, honestly.

There's a running theme now that in big games our offense struggles. That didn't happen under Sark.
That's the whole issue with BoB. It's usually the same plays out of the same formations over and over. There's not a lot of imagination like there was with Kiffin or Sark. Texas seemed to play to our tendencies that we have run over and over, and for the most part it worked. It quit working when we spread them out and went with a quicker tempo late in the game.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Has the OL improved under the NEW OL coach? How did that left tackle look today? How would you grade each OL position?

Reactions: CoachJeff

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
That's the whole issue with BoB. It's usually the same plays out of the same formations over and over. There's not a lot of imagination like there was with Kiffin or Sark. Texas seemed to play to our tendencies that we have run over and over, and for the most part it worked. It quit working when we spread them out and went with a quicker tempo late in the game.
BOB needs to change his tendencies

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We may have to go quick tempo the entire game...both to keep the defense off their reads and to keep our offensive coordinator and players focused. In the USU game one announcer quoted the USU coach as saying that we only ran about 12 plays, but we did them really well. That in itself is telling...most HS offenses have more than 12 plays.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sark spent the entire summer prepping to stop your offense. They brought in outside consultants to help them break down your film from last year and analyze your play calling patterns and tendencies.

This is what Alabama faces every year, from every opponent. I suspect that Kiffin and Jimbo did the same - make the Alabama game their entire season. Beat Alabama and all other losses are forgiven.

Alabama has to do more than any other team in college football to win games. It requires your coordinators to be more innovative. Just not sure that BoB has it in him. But this team is the most talented in the game, so let's see how it plays out.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Sark spent the entire summer prepping to stop your offense. They brought in outside consultants to help them break down your film from last year and analyze your play calling patterns and tendencies.

This is what Alabama faces every year, from every opponent. I suspect that Kiffin and Jimbo did the same - make the Alabama game their entire season. Beat Alabama and all other losses are forgiven.

Alabama has to do more than any other team in college football to win games. It requires your coordinators to be more innovative. Just not sure that BoB has it in him. But this team is the most talented in the game, so let's see how it plays out.
As you said it requires the coordinators to be more innovative. Well…..coach O’Brien doesn’t seem to have that quality. Atleast he wasn’t displaying that trait for the Texas game. But yeah….we’ll see how the rest of the season goes

Reactions: B1GTide

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
We probably are making ourselves more predictable. I tend to think that Gary Patterson was an effective defensive addition to Texas' staff and that may have had a lot to do with the ineffectiveness of Bama for much of the game.

Thank goodness for Bryce Young late and a few others that did not want to lose.

Reactions: Rush

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I know opinions change so fast during the season. But I don’t know that I can agree we’ve got the most talent anymore. At QB, yes. We are solid at RB; really good. WR and OL look like huge question marks today. It’s a long season though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I get what some of you are saying but even still... Their game planning didn't cause us to have 15 penalties or drop those passes.

I think Aaron Suttles put it pretty well https://theathletic.com/3582386/2022/09/10/alabama-texas-football-bryce-young/

"Two opportunities to improve are coming up — against Louisiana Monroe and Vanderbilt — before the next real challenge shows up on the schedule against Arkansas. But if Alabama doesn’t take these next two games seriously, it isn’t as emotionally mature as we’ve been led to believe.

Saturday showed some surprising problems. Mature teams don’t melt down, discipline-wise, like Alabama did Saturday. Was it a one-time spiral or have we all been conned?

That’s what we thought we’d have answered here Saturday, but all we leave Texas with is more questions."

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I will say this, I loved Lane Kiffin as OC and how he setup plays with play calling and formations. Locksley did it with superior talent, but Sark. Sark is the true offensive genius. His subtle creativity is next level. I know we were spoiled a little by his formations and playcalling. With that, Sark knows what type offenses give Nick trouble. They have had those conversations while designing plays at Alabama. Sark said himself while there it was Nick Saban’s offense, Nick told him what he wanted , Sark designed the plays and submitted for Nicks approval. That insight into Nicks thinking had a lot to do with Saturdays results. Deep Insight into his defensive philosophy as well as what Nick wanted to run on offense. Throw in 5 coaches that also coached in Tuscaloosa, breaking in new receivers across the board, new running backs , an offensive line that has had 3 position coaches in 3 years, on top of a good but not creative offensive coordinator, an unfocused team on the road and you get Saturday’s results . This is the Same CBoB that put up 570 yards on the greatest defense since ever. I’m not defending CBoB , I’m defending the team. Maybe we were too optimistic , maybe the team depends on Bryce too much. 4th and inches should be easy enough for any team up the middle. No creativity required. That’s want to. I saw little ole App St blow big holes in Texas 8&4s 5* studded defensive line. They ran the same 5 running plays over and over and over.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Has the OL improved under the NEW OL coach? How did that left tackle look today? How would you grade each OL position?
The issues last year and to this point concerning the oline have me scratching my head. We recruit top level talent but struggle. We even had to jump into the portal to find a left tackle. What happened with the Brockermyer’s. 5 star players who haven’t played any meaningful snaps. I thought we improved with McGlaughlin at center late last year. He’s a backup now. I’d give anything for Coach Pendry to still be on the staff. RTR

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I agree, I’ll add Nick Saban is a victim of his own success in a way. He runs a great program, gets young hungry coaches in his system that learn his process from defensive strategy, analysts, to adopting NFL style talent evaluations. He has done it long enough with enough protégés out there that he is surrounded by them. Georgia, Florida, TexasA&m, Texas, Miami , Oregon, Ole Miss. according to 247 sports based on HS recruiting, this is the most talented team in the history of CFB. Now, we will find out if Nick recruited great coaches as well.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
We are terribly predictable.

It is no coincedence that we didn't start driving on their defense today until we just went up tempo and off script on the last 3 drives.
Does anyone else think it was possible that BY started ignoring BOB in the fourth Q? I have no evidence but they were quick hitting plays that we had not used all game to then.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.