Question: Are Opposing Teams Good at Guesing OR Are We Tipping Our Plays on Offense???

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We are lucky to have Coach Saban. He brought us two of the most genius play callers in the modern game by landing Kiffen then Sark to the Capstone. BOB is simply not in the same category as these two and, frankly, I don't think there is such a coach breathing that rare air. But he does come with a good rep and lots of experience. Our struggles with him as OC are well documented on this board and Jess' piece yesterday nails it to the door. Now it's Saban's turn to complete the rehab so to speak. Is he going to sit down with Bill and right the ship? Is he going to bring in some ideas from the outfield? What comes next is what will define this season and BOB's tenure in Tuscaloosa. Based on past performance, I gotta feel optimistic that things will improve.

Reactions: 4Bama

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Has the OL improved under the NEW OL coach? How did that left tackle look today? How would you grade each OL position?
So far, I think we would have to say they haven't made a big leap forward. Hard to replace Evan Neal and it was pretty much assured that whoever stepped into that role would be a bit of a downgrade, but we haven't seen him give up many pressures or heard his name called for penalties, so overall I think he's doing well enough. RT had some issues with the jumps at UTx, but overall I would say he's been better than last seasons RT - IMHO, that's a talent thing not a coaching thing though. Inside is where we seem to be having the most challenges and it really is the positions Jess mentioned in the write up, but really between the 3, they aren't getting movement against DTs, and are often getting stood up and pushed back. Talent v coaching? Don't really know

• Thank You
Reactions: Al A Bama

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
So far, I think we would have to say they haven't made a big leap forward. Hard to replace Evan Neal and it was pretty much assured that whoever stepped into that role would be a bit of a downgrade, but we haven't seen him give up many pressures or heard his name called for penalties, so overall I think he's doing well enough. RT had some issues with the jumps at UTx, but overall I would say he's been better than last seasons RT - IMHO, that's a talent thing not a coaching thing though. Inside is where we seem to be having the most challenges and it really is the positions Jess mentioned in the write up, but really between the 3, they aren't getting movement against DTs, and are often getting stood up and pushed back. Talent v coaching? Don't really know
In some ways this game is a gift, a blessing for Bama. I imagine all the coaches are breaking down this film today and learning from it...UTx knew our weaknesses and tendencies and exploited them fully. Now we know what the test will be going forward...can we answer it. I believe so...my blood pressure hopes so.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
In some ways this game is a gift, a blessing for Bama. I imagine all the coaches are breaking down this film today and learning from it...UTx knew our weaknesses and tendencies and exploited them fully. Now we know what the test will be going forward...can we answer it. I believe so...my blood pressure hopes so.
I think so……. I look for the OL to improve and discipline to be tightened as well

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Sark spent the entire summer prepping to stop your offense. They brought in outside consultants to help them break down your film from last year and analyze your play calling patterns and tendencies.

This is what Alabama faces every year, from every opponent. I suspect that Kiffin and Jimbo did the same - make the Alabama game their entire season. Beat Alabama and all other losses are forgiven.

Alabama has to do more than any other team in college football to win games. It requires your coordinators to be more innovative. Just not sure that BoB has it in him. But this team is the most talented in the game, so let's see how it plays out.
yea dark mentioned they had the game plan ready three months ag, so they would have specific “Alabama” prep periods in practice, even whilst getting ready for a different opponent last week. I’d say we did as good as we could have considering. It was a great win

Reactions: B1GTide

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think it starts in the weight room for our OL. I don't think we are that strong compared to the DLs we face during the season. The inability for the twins to put on weight to see the field. Something is not right here. Quickness in the interior OL is an issue too. Conditioning to coaching of OL has been a complete failure, imo. I don't think it is the quality of the players we are bringing in.

Better call Pendry.

Wolford hasn't had enough time with the OL yet. This is going to be a massive rebuild of OL. When BOB made it a package deal to hire Marrone with him and then Marrone didn't hit a lick at snake in recruiting or coaching for 18mths. It set us way back.

I'm beginning to realize there is a dearth of exceptional OL coaching talent out there...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bill Obrien's offense is designed around having Tom Brady as quarterback, Gronk at TE, and Edelman and Amendola as your WRs. We just dont have that type of skill players, and it is just a bad fit. It was obvious all day long that Texas had very talented DBs that could blow up those horizontal plays behind the line but we kept running them. We were having success running vertically and letting Bryce go through his route tree. But like the Iron Bowl and NCG we kept playing behind the line.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Bill Obrien's offense is designed around having Tom Brady as quarterback, Gronk at TE, and Edelman and Amendola as your WRs. We just dont have that type of skill players, and it is just a bad fit. It was obvious all day long that Texas had very talented DBs that could blow up those horizontal plays behind the line but we kept running them. We were having success running vertically and letting Bryce go through his route tree. But like the Iron Bowl and NCG we kept playing behind the line.
Oline is probably the hardest position to coach. You have 5 guys that need to play as one. If one guy is weak the whole line is weak. If Marrone was as bad and as uninvested as some have said it doesnt matter how much talent you have. If woffard is even a halfway decent coach he will first have to undo everything marrone did. The next two games should tell a lot about the team and the coaching.

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
College is spread football offensively. This offense is not one bit creative. 8 out of ten times is a run to start a drive. A good offensive coach finds a way to scheme his receivers open. I think this team moves the ball best when they hurry it up which bob doesn't like to do. I really believe it's time for coach to get some fresh coordinaters on both sides of the ball. This defense was on its way to getting torched by that young Qb. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I don't see bama winning another title with these coordinators unless we get that once in a lifetime offense again. Just my two cents

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Does anyone else think it was possible that BY started ignoring BOB in the fourth Q? I have no evidence but they were quick hitting plays that we had not used all game to then.
well, the clock was getting tired and was about to stop. Bryce knew he was running out if time

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
BoB reminded me of Shula yesterday. An unimaginative game plan based on what works against cupcakes, no adjustments, and the (too) occasional brain fart. Seriously, passing on 3rd down with 20 seconds left and a time out in his pocket during the last drive? I know hail marys are longshots, but why give them the chance when we didn't need to? Run the ball, call the TO with one second left, and kick the field goal as time expires.

Reactions: bama1992#1

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
BoB reminded me of Shula yesterday. An unimaginative game plan based on what works against cupcakes, no adjustments, and the (too) occasional brain fart. Seriously, passing on 3rd down with 20 seconds left and a time out in his pocket during the last drive? I know hail marys are longshots, but why give them the chance when we didn't need to? Run the ball, call the TO with one second left, and kick the field goal as time expires.
I wanted to say it but I left it alone.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
When you continually use a rinse and repeat gameplan you are disrespecting the other team and taking your own professional expertise for granted - essentially you are arrogant. That's BOB in a nutshell. That was Marrone too. Both of these guys, and I have been around both, don't have the fire in the belly anymore.

Reactions: Padreruf

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Why not just snap it straight to Gibbs? Of course he would have had to be in the game. I would also like to know why Saban didn't call a time out and get Gibbs in the game.
He didn't have one to burn...

(He had one, but not to burn.)

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Letting the play clock run down helped Texas a lot. Almost never running a down field pass play along with never actually throwing deep helped Texas to just crash the line and play the shallow crosser. Our Center play is lacking, he let blitzers go up the middle and blocked no one more than once. Then he gets pushed back a decent amount. I appreciate everything about Randolph but Cohen is the better player with NFL talent. Ouzts I think had his lunch money taken from him this game trying to block and needs to improve. But I think a lot of this is the OC not working with the other coaches to put everything together and getting a funky scheme.

Also never building off what you ran earlier in the hurts. i.e wr screen then fake screen throw deep. But he never adjust or changes in game till 4 th qtr about to lose. The Scheme from him seems to be hurting the OL since the talent has to be there. But I guess we will see more after about 6 games. But this is nothing that has not already been said.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.