Did Harsin’s seat just get very hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Are they still paying Gus/Did they have to pay him all of that? Since he was hired pretty quickly by UCF...
I've not read his contract, but typically the language dictates the coach is guaranteed $x amount over Y time. If that coach is hired (by say UCF), abruun would generally only be contractually required to make up the difference between this new and old pay.

Most I've read also specify they must attempt to offset the amount due by looking for 'reasonable' employment and that they be paid accordingly for the position.

That last part is why hiring Butch Jones as an analyst for $30k/year was so sweet - fifteenessee was paying him millions per year for him to make $30k helping Bama beat them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have never seen their fans this sedated before. Even in 2012, I think they had hopes they would just get a new coach and turn things around. But they just seem lifeless right now.
They were more sedated in 1991-92 as the Eric Ramsey scandal dragged on and on but otherwise I agree. There was genuine fear of how hard they might get hit. Let's face it: when you're caught on tape making offers, the only recourse is to say that the tapes were spliced together and made to sound like someone made that offer.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've not read his contract, but typically the language dictates the coach is guaranteed $x amount over Y time. If that coach is hired (by say UCF), abruun would generally only be contractually required to make up the difference between this new and old pay.

Most I've read also specify they must attempt to offset the amount due by looking for 'reasonable' employment and that they be paid accordingly for the position.

That last part is why hiring Butch Jones as an analyst for $30k/year was so sweet - fifteenessee was paying him millions per year for him to make $30k helping Bama beat them.
Actually, that states the law of damage mitigation pretty well. However, most contracts repeat it for good measure, sometimes with elaboration...

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I am trying to come up with a win total that will allow Harsin to keep his job. Even if, and it's a huge IF, they manage to win 8 games, I still think he's gone. Even if he beats Bama this year, I don't think that will be enough. I'm honestly shocked he's still there to be honest.
Why, you almost expect their crack journalism school down there to unearth a BOT "Tanking for a Fambly UnHarsining" scheme.

• Haha
Reactions: fireater

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I will say that I am not sure how much of the fault of this team is Harsin's fault. He may have torpedoed his career by choosing to go to Auburn, but Auburn has absolutely set him up to fail.

This is the result of what happens when powerful boosters do not get their way. The boosters at Auburn did not want Harsin, but the athletic department chose Harsin anyway. Boosters have then done everything possible to make his life miserable and the athletic departments life miserable until they get their way

again, what a toxic environment

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Tubbs $6,000,000
Chizik $7,500,000
Gus $21,400,000
Harsin $15,300,000
That's $50,200,000 to buy coaches out of their contracts. The total will increase when they buy the current staff out as well as the new coach hired to replace the current. Their NIL, new facilities, etc. are DOA.

The GNP for the nation of Tuvalu is 80 million. The Barn is on pace to exceed that in buying out coaches.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I will say that I am not sure how much of the fault of this team is Harsin's fault. He may have torpedoed his career by choosing to go to Auburn, but Auburn has absolutely set him up to fail.

This is the result of what happens when powerful boosters do not get their way. The boosters at Auburn did not want Harsin, but the athletic department chose Harsin anyway. Boosters have then done everything possible to make his life miserable and the athletic departments life miserable until they get their way

Hey but at least they are “family”. A dysfunctional, backstabbing, toxic, delusional family…but family nonetheless.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The issue is he should have talked about an exit strategy once it became obvious that powerful people wanted him out. He probably will never hold a big position ever again but possibly can go back to a G5 team

Reactions: DawgAlum2054

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Ghost peppers … but with a UCF road win tonight against the FAU Owls, the hot name to replace him could be third time’s the charm Moofus Come Home Malzahn
That would be sooo much entertainment i can scarcely think of how wed fill our time gafawing at their backwards attempt of running the gus bus off and then paying him to come back? Priceless is what that would be my tide friends 😂

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and dtgreg

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Actually, that states the law of damage mitigation pretty well. However, most contracts repeat it for good measure, sometimes with elaboration...
From stories at the time (I haven't bothered to read Malzahn's contract myself), it required a fairly upfront payment of the buyout and didn't provide for an offset for anything he gets from UCF or elsewhere. If that's true, I'd have loved to negotiate against AU.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
On the bright side for Harsin, being a mediocre Auburn coach under constant threat of getting fired is path to being elected to the senate.
Or, like, you know, after all them years in Idaho, get hisself named host of "The New Doomsday Preppers." Got the telegenic presence of a somebody-done-somebody-wrong reality show host - and utter believability in what he's repping and prepping for, as his audition tape shows:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: The Ols and Con
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.