Question: We are several games into the season…is the OL improving?

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Bwuh?!?

We always have five of them on the field.

Not trying to be a smart aleck either, are you meaning backups, perhaps? :unsure:
I meant we haven’t had “several” games this seasons…which I turned out to be wrong about the about definition of the word several…what are you talking about???

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I meant we haven’t had “several” games this seasons…which I turned out to be wrong about the about definition of the word several…what are you talking about???
You mentioned three. Was confused about what you meant.

Doesn't matter.

RTR SCS! :cool:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I haven't seen anyone on this board remotely close to suggesting that Wolford should be fired.
that was being facetious, but at the same time you know as well as I there are a few that think the Oline is still broken, and Wolford needs to go.
I’m in no advocating for any coach to be fired. I see improvement In the Oline, but, I still think the line plays better with McLaughlin at center, that’s JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
that was being facetious, but at the same time you know as well as I there are a few that think the Oline is still broken, and Wolford needs to go.
I’m in no advocating for any coach to be fired. I see improvement In the Oline, but, I still think the line plays better with McLaughlin at center that’s JMO.
I think Dalcourt has a higher ceiling...bigger and stronger and probably faster...but a couple of missed calls and/or whiffs on blocks and Seth will be starting in no time. JMHO....

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think Dalcourt has a higher ceiling...bigger and stronger and probably faster...but a couple of missed calls and/or whiffs on blocks and Seth will be starting in no time. JMHO....
I just haven't seen indications of this ceiling over last season and 3 games with DD. He's a tad larger, sure, but if he's stronger, it doesn't show. the DT for ULM knocked him backward a few times, and stood him straight upright a few times as well. He lets guys out-leverage and get under him pretty easy, which shouldn't happen since he's one of the least tall OLs we have. He's certainly not that quick, as when I rewatched the Utah State and UTe games he has a hard time getting onto or off of the combo blocks and that's often a footwork/quickness issue. I know the staff said he led the team in pancake blocks against ULM, but I have to think most of those were downblocks after the OG stood the guy up and DD just got to clean up. I still need to rewatch that one.

SM has displayed greater functional strength - no idea if that comes across in the weight room or not, but I can't recall many times when he's been blown off the ball - maybe once in the national championship against the all world NG. He isn't that much smaller, and has a reach advantage - taller and longer arms. I hope that either he's starting soon, or if he can't get it done, that Booker takes an OG slot and we try EE at OC (where he was recruited).

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I’m in no advocating for any coach to be fired. I see improvement In the Oline, but, I still think the line plays better with McLaughlin at center, that’s JMO.
Perhaps if you were intending to be humorous then you can have written your post this way and I would have chuckled and moved on to the next reply:

Fire the OL coach!!!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Perhaps if you were intending to be humorous then you can have written your post this way and I would have chuckled and moved on to the next reply:

Fire the OL coach!!!
Perhaps I don’t like that color . Sometimes, things should be that obvious, like firing a position coach after only 3 games, 2 of which were against cupcakes.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I still think the sample size is way too small to make any sort of judgement. All I will say is we're not dominating on OL so far, but I have confidence we'll get the right lineup in there and make great improvements. I think a fair sample size would be halfway through the season and we can re-visit this question.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We need to play to our strengths and I don't think we know what they are just yet. I mean, we are a tempo team for sure. We blew UGA out in the SECCG last year with tempo only to get away from it in the National Championship game which produced two very different outcomes. What I like about this team is that there is so much to work on. If we continue to grind I think we can really develop the O Line to the point of actually running the football when we need to. So yea, I think we are improving which is the best thing we can hope for. I wouldn't want to be where Georgia is right now which is where we usually are. They have nowhere to go but down while the sky is the limit for us.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
We need to play to our strengths and I don't think we know what they are just yet. I mean, we are a tempo team for sure. We blew UGA out in the SECCG last year with tempo only to get away from it in the National Championship game which produced two very different outcomes. What I like about this team is that there is so much to work on. If we continue to grind I think we can really develop the O Line to the point of actually running the football when we need to. So yea, I think we are improving which is the best thing we can hope for. I wouldn't want to be where Georgia is right now which is where we usually are. They have nowhere to go but down while the sky is the limit for us.
Try Booker and Mac.... Once they gel in should be good

Reactions: CoolBreeze

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Perhaps I don’t like that color . Sometimes, things should be that obvious, like firing a position coach after only 3 games, 2 of which were against cupcakes.
This is why we have suggested using the purple font to indicate sarcasm, so it would cut out the confusion of whether someone was joking or not. We all process the world through different lenses so what is "obvious" to you may not be obvious to someone else, and that's okay. I'm not fond of the color either but I'm more interested in clear communication than I am in the color of the font.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Offensive line is one of the hardest positions to scout and the one position that if you screw it up it takes longer to fix. The transfer portal has certainly helped but it's not an instant fix. It seems like our more rural friends to the south have not had much success recruiting lineman for a while and even if they hire the next worlds greatest coach it's going to take a bit to dig out of that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I just haven't seen indications of this ceiling over last season and 3 games with DD. He's a tad larger, sure, but if he's stronger, it doesn't show. the DT for ULM knocked him backward a few times, and stood him straight upright a few times as well. He lets guys out-leverage and get under him pretty easy, which shouldn't happen since he's one of the least tall OLs we have. He's certainly not that quick, as when I rewatched the Utah State and UTe games he has a hard time getting onto or off of the combo blocks and that's often a footwork/quickness issue. I know the staff said he led the team in pancake blocks against ULM, but I have to think most of those were downblocks after the OG stood the guy up and DD just got to clean up. I still need to rewatch that one.

SM has displayed greater functional strength - no idea if that comes across in the weight room or not, but I can't recall many times when he's been blown off the ball - maybe once in the national championship against the all world NG. He isn't that much smaller, and has a reach advantage - taller and longer arms. I hope that either he's starting soon, or if he can't get it done, that Booker takes an OG slot and we try EE at OC (where he was recruited).
For me, the issue is that it's three games into the season, we have one more tune-up before it gets real in Game #5 in Fayetteville, and we're still talking about six names for three positions.

Everyone agrees we need to get our act together on the OL. But I'm not sure how you get your act together if you're not even sure who your best player is in 3 of the five positions -- and about 9:30 PM day after tomorrow, we'll be a third of the way through the regular season.

BTW -- I agree with you on McLaughlin. I think Dalcourt might have better measurables, but the line just seems to do better with McLaughlin in at C.

Reactions: gtgilbert

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.