TEXAS A&M Week

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Agreed, but whatever type of passes we have installed for Milroe, it has to be a real threat for him to complete, or aTm will completely ignore it and continue to fill the box. The Richardson kid from Florida comes to mind, I've watched games where he was so "off" with his passes that the other team just dismissed it and continued to crowd the box.

BOB needs to install high percentage, quick-hitting passes so Milroe has a higher probability of completing them, build confidence, then as he builds confidence start giving him shots to throw downfield.
You talk as if he can't pass at all. He was thrust suddenly into a big game, and did pretty good actually. If the receivers stop the drops, I think Milroe will be fine.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Thanks for post those. I noticed rewatching each of the videos that Milroe is just plain fast from beginning to end while Gibbs is slower and shifty in the wads of players until he gets out to open space. Then he is fun to watch because you literally see him shift into another gear and just leave everyone behind.
Gibbs is really good at setting up his blocks, or "pressing the hole". That means he lets the blocks develop before shooting through the hole. He doesn't telegraph where he's going until he's ready to bust through the hole full speed, so he doesn't always get the ball and run full speed. Sometimes you just have to get the ball and go to where the hole is supposed to be, but other times you have to let the play develop.

See how he gets the ball and looks like he's heading outside but then quickly cuts in and speeds off? That's pressing the hole. He gets #10, Bumper Pool, to head outside too far and then he's out of position to make the play, and then *poof* Gibbs is gone.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You talk as if he can't pass at all. He was thrust suddenly into a big game, and did pretty good actually. If the receivers stop the drops, I think Milroe will be fine.
In the games he has played I have noticed he struggles with progressions and getting the ball out on time to the WR. He underthrew Burton that if he would have gotten the ball out earlier he would have hit him in stride for a sure-fire TD. Things like that are expected from someone who has played as little as he has played, but they are a reality nonetheless and are a concern going into this weekend if he has to play the entire game.

I doubt he is going to materially get better in these areas in a week so that is why I think it is the coaching staff's responsibility to put in pass plays (at the beginning at least) that puts him and where he is as a player, in the best position to succeed. If he hits those then keep adding to his plate as the game goes along.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In the games he has played I have noticed he struggles with progressions and getting the ball out on time to the WR. He underthrew Burton that if he would have gotten the ball out earlier he would have hit him in stride for a sure-fire TD. Things like that are expected from someone who has played as little as he has played, but they are a reality nonetheless and are a concern going into this weekend if he has to play the entire game.

I doubt he is going to materially get better in these areas in a week so that is why I think it is the coaching staff's responsibility to put in pass plays (at the beginning at least) that puts him and where he is as a player, in the best position to succeed. If he hits those then keep adding to his plate as the game goes along.
To be fair, Young has underthrown Burton 3 times this year, each time costing Alabama a sure TD. Not sure why, but he is getting behind defenses and QBs are just missing

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
To be fair, Young has underthrown Burton 3 times this year, each time costing Alabama a sure TD. Not sure why, but he is getting behind defenses and QBs are just missing
Yes, but Young has proven that he can go through progressions quickly, throw with anticipation and get the ball out on time more times than not. He has a Heisman Trophy to prove it. 😁

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Bama had great rushing numbers against Arkansas, but I'm still not 100% sold on the run game. a 75 yard TD is awesome. However, to me, getting 10 straight runs of 6, 7, and 8 yards before getting into the end zone is more indicative of a good run game.

On Milroe's 77 yard scramble Arkansas had 3 down lineman and then 3 LBs come down in the box. Bama had 3 WRs to the right with 3 DBs covering them. Bama had a TE on the left with a safety on him. They had a deep safety in the middle of the field. Bumper Pool, #10 for Arkansas, was spying Milroe. Pool lost containment when Milroe started to scramble and then it was all over.

On the first long run by Gibbs they had 4 down linemen, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs. Bama had 3 WRs split out wide to the left and one to the right and Gibbs next to Milroe in the shotgun. It looked to be an RPO with a screen to the left as an option. Maybe it was run all the way, but to the defense it looked like a pass play. Drew Sanders was out wide ready to defend the pass and moved to his right when the ball was snapped and his man looked to be blocking for a screen pass. The 5 lineman blocked the 4 defensive linemen plus the LB (Sanders was out wide and out of the box by this point) and Gibbs read it well and once he made his cut there was no one to stop him. Actually a really well designed play that was executed well. Arkansas didn't play it poorly, Bama just got 'em. The center did a fantastic job on the play. He blocked the DT and then moved up to the LB and took him out of the play opening up a huge hole for Gibbs.

On the second long run by Gibbs Bama had a TE on the line, plus 2 WRs to the right with another WR (the speedy Bond) coming from left to right. Gibbs was next to Milroe in the shotgun. Arky had 4 down lineman and 4 LBs/DBs in the box plus a safety right on the edge of the box too. Looks like a run or maybe quick toss to Bond in space. The LBs move left at the snap to cover Bond. The ball is run to the left and the blockers on the left do a great job of blocking and one Arky DB gets out of position and it's all over. Funnily enough Bama's RT fires off the ball and looks around for someone to block as there's no one around him.

So Bama's run game made some plays, but Arky was out of position some too. That happens. We'll see if they can be more consistent.
What about goaline touchdown?

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
The last game he underthrew one and it looked like he tried to take something off the pass. You’d expect him to overthrow these.
I saw he was listed at 6’-2” and 210 pounds.they must not have updated that since the 11th grade.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Milroe is no Bryce/Mac/Tua, but he can pass. He's just not as accurate as what we've had with the afore mentioned. I do see a game plan with more runs than passes. Maybe even some designed for him. He's dangerous when he gets open. It would be nice if Bryce's injury is minor enough he can play. But if not, I think Milroe will do well. Might even see Ty come in some. Yes, he's a freshman. But he is pretty good. Texas's Ewers is a freshman, and we saw what he could do. Hurts was a freshman when he started. I'm not worried about the quarterback situation.
If JoJo and Harrell are both healthy and playing I can see them stretching the field with enough separation to create a coverage problem. Hopefully the accuracy deficiency of Milroe can be overcome and create big plays. From what I’ve seen so far arm strength isn’t an issue.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm confident of a win, but I'm in the definite minority in thinking it's going to be a battle.

People are too enamored of the final score vs. MSU last week -- 42-24 looks like butt-whipping. But then you look at how a lot of the key plays happened:

- aTm turned the ball over four times, three of which were in the red zone.
- In addition to which MSU returned a blocked FG 50 yards for a TD
- In addition to which MSU got a pick-6 late to ice the game.
- MSU did get about 75 - 80 more passing yards, but otherwise, most of the stats are about even.
- Rushing yards were about even, but if you take QB rushing out of it, aTm averaged almost 6.5 ypc -- more than MSU did.
- aTm had 27 first downs -- they moved the ball.

Where the game got away from them was turnovers and inability to consistently protect the QB, which negated MSU getting flagged 13 times for almost 140 yards in penalties

That, and a couple of blunders that don't happen all that much -- a blocked FG returned 50 yards for a TD, and a pick-6.

My point is that that game was a lot closer than the final score would make you think.

aTm is wounded and has several problems. But they're being written off as just this side of incompetent, and that's simply not warranted.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If JoJo and Harrell are both healthy and playing I can see them stretching the field with enough separation to create a coverage problem. Hopefully the accuracy deficiency of Milroe can be overcome and create big plays. From what I’ve seen so far arm strength isn’t an issue.
If Harrell is back then the speed, stretch the field issue can't be talked about. We saw Bond and JoJo show what they have last week and Harrell is probably faster than Bond. We will beat A&M soundly with Milroe and we will crush them if Bryce is back.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Yes, he does have a strong arm. If he can get it close and ahead of the defender, one of our WRs might get to it.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I'm confident of a win, but I'm in the definite minority in thinking it's going to be a battle.

People are too enamored of the final score vs. MSU last week -- 42-24 looks like butt-whipping. But then you look at how a lot of the key plays happened:

- MSU did get about 75 - 80 more passing yards, but otherwise, most of the stats are about even.
- Rushing yards were about even, but if you take QB rushing out of it, aTm averaged almost 6.5 ypc -- more than MSU did.

Where the game got away from them was turnovers and inability to consistently protect the QB, which negated MSU getting flagged 13 times for almost 140 yards in penalties

That, and a couple of blunders that don't happen all that much -- a blocked FG returned 50 yards for a TD, and a pick-6.

My point is that that game was a lot closer than the final score would make you think.

aTm is wounded and has several problems. But they're being written off as just this side of incompetent, and that's simply not warranted.
I'm certainly not writing them off as an easy win...............backing a wounded dog into a corner, and they come out fighting............A&M will be fired up, but I also expect Bama to have in their mind last year and be ready to fight as well

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
Howdy Bama... Just dropping in to ask that you please call off the dogs at some point... say... in the middle of the second quarter. :)

Resident Aggie here... I was mildly encouraged to see at least a few of you kicking around the idea whether if Young is out, you'll have issues. Let's just say, my first comment assumed Young was out... as well as your entire first string defense... Yes... that's just how bad our offense is this year.

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
Last year we were thinking the same thing. Texas 8&4 had not played up to expectations and we all know what happened. A quarterback had the best game of his career against us. While I don't expect it to happen again I'm wary of this game. But after living thru the Dubose and Shula era's I'm wary of all of them.
Okay, I'll play along to add some drama to the lead up to this game... :cool:

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Howdy Bama... Just dropping in to ask that you please call off the dogs at some point... say... in the middle of the second quarter. :)

Resident Aggie here... I was mildly encouraged to see at least a few of you kicking around the idea whether if Young is out, you'll have issues. Let's just say, my first comment assumed Young was out... as well as your entire first string defense... Yes... that's just how bad our offense is this year.
No mercy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I do not take them lightly because they sucked last year too and we blew the game.

But that’s why I think we roll them this year because surely the team wants to rectify that massive blunder in addition to slapping Jimbo’s loud, ignorant mouth shut.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.