Let the Madness begin - How Bama makes it to the playoffs…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
tcu and usc could both lose neither are anywhere near the realm of unbeatable. We wanted to be #5 but at worst had to be #6 and we are. Also, they have to revote next week too so anything could happen.

So yes I am saying we have a chance. RTR

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
We do still have a chance. TCU is not making it with a loss. Reese is wrong. The Big 12 is on a down year. UT gave us a great game but Sark still has a WAYS to go. OU is down, way down. OSU is down. Baylor is down. Iowa State is down. Who has TCU defeated?

Reese is wrong. And I'll be honest: I don't like his "'Bama is out of it" attitude from the last six weeks anyway. Yes, I do know where he's from, still don't like it. Tries too hard to come off objective.

Mark my words: TCU is out with a loss. USC is out with a loss. If They both lose, it's Georgia (one way or another), Michigan (one way or another), Ohio State and 'Bama. Tennesse gave up 63 at SC. They are NOT jumping us, no matter what their fans say.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Tennessee gave up 63 at SC. They are NOT jumping us, no matter what their fans say.
Here's what they can't seem to understand:

1. Our losses are by a combined four points. They got spanked by a 6-4 unranked (at the time) team.
2. Their star quarterback is out for the season.

Most importantly:

3. If we played them on a level playing field and with real referees right now, we would destroy them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU game hurt us and it didn’t help when LSU lost Saturday to the Aggies.
lsu losing to aTm actually gave us some hope because it puts us on the “first 2 out”. But we needed way more thanksgiving what we got to have a realistic shot. Truth is… our dreams died once Arkansas choked vs LSU. Our best shot was getting to play Georgia.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
Obviously we shouldn't have lost at all, we shouldn't have lost twice, but at least we were playing people who could beat us, rather than a weak Big 10 schedule and non-conference schedule (Sorry, B1GTide -- I do respect the heck out of the Ohio State program) like Michigan. I believe we still have a long, long shot to get in. But if we don't, I may have to pull for Ohio State for a myriad of reasons:
- Our friend B1GTide
- Can't stand Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams and all the USC stuff Colin Cowherd spews, and the fact that Riley never actually develops any players, just seems to have them transfer to him.
- Won't root for Georgia, especially to repeat.
- Won't root for Michigan.
- Won't root for TCU. Sorry. Not feeling the "good story" thing. I live in Texas and the Big 12 is a pathetic excuse for a conference right now. Cowherd is right about that. It IS a pillow fight.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I don't want to re-fight it but we had been told over and over that they were unable to do anything of the kind. It WAS a tactical loss by NV but it proved the lies. So, for them, a Strategic victory.

I have friends who fought and were in Intelligence and it was really ugly what we were doing as soon as it became about bodycounts. I know it was a proxy war but once you read the Pentagon Papers and listen to Ike you know the truth. At some point "America" has to MEAN something.
I’m not disagreeing with your larger point in the midst of my hijacking this thread; only trying to drive a stake through the heart of the Cronkite fallacy…

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well. Going back to my original post, it’s all still ahead. tOSU showed us that a multi score drubbing can drop you 3 spots.

we always needed USCw and TCU to lose. We never thought we would leap tOSU or Michigan. That was just an added bonus.

we need Utah to beat them again. And K State to go Mr Hyde this weekend.

if that doesn’t happen, it’s basketball season. No interest in watching the playoffs. And I’ll watch the Sugar Bowl but that’s it

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well. Going back to my original post, it’s all still ahead. tOSU showed us that a multi score drubbing TO THE NUMBER TWO TEAM IN THE NATION can drop you 3 spots.

we always needed USCw and TCU to lose. We never thought we would leap tOSU or Michigan. That was just an added bonus.

we need Utah to beat them again. And K State to go Mr Hyde this weekend.

if that doesn’t happen, it’s basketball season. No interest in watching the playoffs. And I’ll watch the Sugar Bowl but that’s it
FIFY.

Key point.

The Vols dropped a lot despite losing by about the same total on the road - because of the quality of opponent.

Plus - pretty hard to drop one loss below two.

rolltiderman

Scout Team
Aug 20, 2005
I hope all of the top 4 lose and they don't have any conference champion in the playoffs. They can put that in their pipe and smoke it.

Reactions: rolltd

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
FIFY.

Key point.

The Vols dropped a lot despite losing by about the same total on the road - because of the quality of opponent.

Plus - pretty hard to drop one loss below two.
Yep.

I knew the CFBPC would cut the Bucks some slack because of Mich being 12-0 and Ranked #2

I mean both were in the Top 3-4 ALL YEAR LONG.

70% of the game was competitive and back and forth too and honestly the game just got away from tOSU in the Final 15-20 mins.

It's not like Mich beat the brakes off them for 60 mins.

10-2 is NOT jumping 11-1 when the 2 losses were BOTH to lower ranked teams than the 1 loss.

It's pretty simple.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just need the top 4 to lose, then Alabama has a pretty good chance heh. If Alabama was 5th they'd have a good shot, now it is a real longshot.

Really though Alabama needed Texas to beat TCU. If that had occurred Alabama might already be in the top 4. As it stands now though, we need Ohio State to look worse (so Michigan needs to lose), we need LSU to look better (so Georgia needs to lose) and of course we need TCU and USC to lose.

As it is, there's a risk of not jumping a team that loses or even if being jumped if the committee feels like doing it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - those of you going "but Ohio St lost to Michigan and didn't drop very far," Georgia lost to Alabama by 17 points last December and still made the playoff - dropping only TWO SPOTS.

There is ample precedent for "lose by double digits to a good team, don't drop far."

This isn't some "ESPN has a contract with the Big Ten" nonsense.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Just need the top 4 to lose, then Alabama has a pretty good chance heh. If Alabama was 5th they'd have a good shot, now it is a real longshot.

Really though Alabama needed Texas to beat TCU. If that had occurred Alabama might already be in the top 4. As it stands now though, we need Ohio State to look worse (so Michigan needs to lose), we need LSU to look better (so Georgia needs to lose) and of course we need TCU and USC to lose.

As it is, there's a risk of not jumping a team that loses or even if being jumped if the committee feels like doing it.
Nah Bama would jump USCw if they lost... 100%

Bama might would jump TCU too but it would probably have to be a bad loss where they look like they really don't belong and were just lucky to be undefeated against a weak schedule.

tOSU is in a great spot because they only need either to lose by any score.

Bama needs USCw by any score and a TCU Blowout loss.

I'm starting to feel like ONE will lose just to leave us at #5 so it really stings...lol

1) UGA
2) Mich
3) USCw or TCU
4) tOSU

5) Alabama - "Oof.... I mean hey don't lose to a 9-3 LSU and/or 10-2 Tenn team who were frauds."

It's gonna suck but it is what it is at this point.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
#10 Kansas State (9-3) vs #3 TCU (12-0)

TCU is favored by -2.5

KSU had TCU 28-10 in the 2nd quarter of there game earlier this year. @ TCU. Will Howard, the KSU backup was playing in his first game. Their starter was injured. KSU was 4-1 after that game. Their loss was to Texas when the first starter was back from injury. He apparently got injured again, Will Howard played again the rest of the season.

KSU has a shot.....a very good shot.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
#11 Utah (9-3) vs #4 USC (11-1)

USC is favored by -3.

USC was on top of Utah by 2 TD's, Utah made it tight after that, won on a run with 5 minutes left. Tight game really the whole way. @ Utah.

Stats were comparable, the both had well over 500 yards of offense. Utah had 1 turnover. USC had none.

Utah lost by 10 on the road to UCLA, late @ Florida, and a tight one @ Oregon.

Utah has a shot, I think USC is playing better than they were, but still have no defense to speak of. This one sets up to be a track meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.