Game Thread: World Cup / USMNT Chat Thread

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'd take him back as the ATLUTD coach. The franchise has been the epitome of ineptitude since his departure.
You're in a pretty tough position if you're coaching El Tri. They expect results that don't particularly match up with what they are historically, and they're especially salty that their historical "little bro" has pretty much dominated the rivalry since 2000 and knocked them off their perch as kings of CONCACAF.

That being said, escaping the group stage is not an unreasonable expectation for Mexico, and Tata's failure to do so is the final nail in the coffin of a troubled tenure. It's nice that he did win one major tournament (2019 Gold Cup), but getting smacked around by the US in the last 2 pretty much spelled out that, unless he went above and beyond here, he was done.

Reactions: BhamToTexas

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
There's an interesting thread on r/LigaMX discussing the expected turnover within the FMF.

There's quite a lot of back and forth and dissent, but a lot of the dissenters are in the wrong, IMO.

FMF is rigid in ways USSoccer is not, and that's part of why we've taken control in a rivalry they used to dominate. Not that USSoccer doesn't have its own flaws (see 2018 and failing to qualify), but we've pretty much got the machine rolling at this point as far as player development and all that, and we've dealt with the reckoning that missing a World Cup final meant pretty well. We're flawed but very young right now, but leaps and bounds ahead of Mexico's system at this point.

(As an aside, a few were like "yeah well the US just started signing dual nats that had no business play for the US. One poster put that to bed. Here's his response verbatim:

"Lol what a terrible take, do even a little bit of research.

Musah and Dest are the only ones who apply, and even then Dest chose the US because he was always in their youth teams. He grew up playing with these guys. Ferreira has lived in Texas since he was 10, he never accepted Colombia call ups.

Weah and Reyna are even dumber to be included. Weah literally grew up in Queens and played for the NY Red Bull academy until 17. Reyna grew up in New York and played in the NYCFC academy. Reyna is literally the son of US national team players, mom and dad. He grew up American in America..

It’s like saying Mexicans from Los Angeles were poached from USA, even though they are full Mexican and identify as so.. and even if they didn’t, you sound like a clown for gatekeeping national identity")

Mexico managed to avoid their reckoning, via a confederation playoff where they just barely avoided missing World Cup final in 2014, and even now the traditionalists prefer to keep the flawed system that put them in this position rather than adjust. They think the solution is to become MORE insular.

Reactions: B1GTide

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Just got to see our last game . Dest played off the charts, and Paw Paw Ream played well as did the back line. I am so proud of this team, especially looking toward 2026. This experience will pay off down the road. We showed more toughness and grit than we have seen in the past. They are slowly getting their act together. Let's get another win or two!

I have been following soccer pretty closely for that last twenty years, and have decided that to thrive on the "big" stages, EPL , tourneys, etc., you must have a world class striker. The defenses are so good , that to score from the run of open play, you need a super human striker. We still lack that, as do a number of teams, but our effort is great.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Dest played off the charts
Jedi usually does on the other side. Didn't have his best game against Iran with several bad touches, but he's the same sort of creator wing back Dest is.

Paw Paw Ream played well as did the back line
Pleasantly surprised with Ream. Gregg is actually utilizing him correctly in this tournament, not letting him get isolated on the outside like he did in the nation's league final. Zimmerman has also been very good, and I understand the tactical reasons we went with CCV rather than Zimmerman against Iran.

The defenses are so good , that to score from the run of open play, you need a super human striker. We still lack that, as do a number of teams, but our effort is great.
Yep. The one thing that really keeps this from being a complete team is that we still have no true 9.

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Oh, and Tyler Adams may go down as the best player of this generation. He's the guy doing all the dirty work that isn't going to show up on your basic stat sheets, and losing him would be an absolutely awful blow.
I love his game. He covers so much ground and for his teammates mistakes.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
But yeah Padre I've been a follower of the national team for decades. I played the sport for 20 years (keeper). I fell in love with USMNT soccer in 2002, when high school junior Dub found himself awake at 3am to watch our boys pull off our most legendary moment live. The moment the United States turned the rivalry on its head and spelled out that soccer was no longer a joke in our country:

So now when you hear our folks taunting Mexico with "DOS A CERO!" *clap clap clapclapclap* you know what it means lol.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.