Mack Brown 's comments on Transfer portal

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
But as BamaMoon said above..will you still be thrilled when DM free agencies in and JM and TS head out..then DM gets hurt? That one year thrill would go down the crapper. I hate this free agency portal.
That presumes both the current QBs leave. Nothing is guaranteed in college football these days. If character is not a factor, go with the talent and wish for the best.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
So if Bama doesn’t pursue Maye where does he go if he leaves NC? Where would you like him to land ? Georgia, Tennessee or maybe Auburn. Get my point?

Reactions: dtgreg

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
"Tampering" - the initial contact - is almost always started by players, or handlers of players, rather than schools.

As for the other topic in this thread - just my opinion - I'm not convinced Drake Maye is sufficiently better than players already on our roster. If he enters the portal and we grab him, obviously I defer to Saban. But I'd be really surprised if Saban wants him - and yes I know we recruited him. He's not a significant upgrade to players we already have. And the players already on our roster would be further along if they had opportunities for meaningful snaps in blowout games. But I haven't seen anything that "wows" me about this guy.

Reactions: Bubbaloo

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"Tampering" - the initial contact - is almost always started by players, or handlers of players, rather than schools.

As for the other topic in this thread - just my opinion - I'm not convinced Drake Maye is sufficiently better than players already on our roster. If he enters the portal and we grab him, obviously I defer to Saban. But I'd be really surprised if Saban wants him - and yes I know we recruited him. He's not a significant upgrade to players we already have. And the players already on our roster would be further along if they had opportunities for meaningful snaps in blowout games. But I haven't seen anything that "wows" me about this guy.
He is better than any QB currently on your roster not named Bryce Young, IMO.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

This is hilarious to me. Maye is predicted to be a top 5 pick in next year's NFL draft. I wish I would be able to remember to revisit this in 18 months.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Mac is truly rare .. i have never seen such drastic change in qb art in less than 2 years
Arm strength accuracy and fearless ( completely opposite to what i saw earlier in his career)
Burrow was pretty dramatic. He was pedestrian average his first season at LSU. Turned into Superman year 2, with a coach like Ed Orgeron running the show.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
At least one for sure. Maybe both because it would be a damning indication of the staff’s thoughts on their ability to lead this team next year to bring in a transfer.
disagree, Drake Maye is already projecting as a number 1 overall draft pick In the 2024 draft. If you have the opportunity to pick arguably the best 2023 QB in CFB , you take it. It doesn’t mean you lost faith in the QB’s on the roster.

Last edited:

rolltiderman

Scout Team
Aug 20, 2005
disagree, Drake Maye is already projecting as a number 1 overall draft pick In the 2024 draft. If you have the opportunity to pick arguably the best 2023 QB in CFB , you take it. It doesn’t mean you lost faith in the QB’s on the roster.
If we get Maye, do the two incoming freshmen commits sign with Alabama or do they go elsewhere?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If we get Maye, do the two incoming freshmen commits sign with Alabama or do they go elsewhere?
Not an expert by any means on recruiting. But I'd say it won't affect the two QB commitments. They are signing knowing they'll probably have to wait anyway.

I'd be more concerned about how this might affect TS, who I think is the favorite "in house" to QB #1 in '23.

JMO.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just sayin'...

317235547_10159546329219822_1259486171554120945_n.jpg

We don't have useful data on TS - maybe he's this good? I don't know, but we KNOW Maye is good.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Just sayin'...

View attachment 30423

We don't have useful data on TS - maybe he's this good? I don't know, but we KNOW Maye is good.
This is pretty hard to rebut from a numbers standpoint. Not to want/take him would require you to believe any or all of the following:
  1. His performance was a fluke (he'd slip in 2023 at UNC)
  2. His performance wouldn't translate to our schedule (he'd be inferior to our current 2023 QBs)
  3. He is toxic in the locker room
  4. Any Alabama attrition to its QB room in 2024 and beyond would be greater than the gain from Maye's inclusion in 2023
There is no evidence of which I'm aware to support 1, 2, or 3. 4 is an unknown but mitigating that is what coaching is for.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Saban knows if Simpson is ready. If he is, forego Maye. If Simpson isn’t ready, get Maye if you can. I don’t believe Milroy is the answering today’s offenses. Blake played at a different time ( even if it was just a few years ago.) Plus we played better defense then, so points weren’t at a premium. Hopefully Simpson is patient to wait one more year.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and gtgilbert

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.