Rose Bowl given til Wednesday to make decision on their role in a 12 team playoff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I haven’t been back since the national title game there against Texas, but I thought the stadium was fine.

In terms of setting, it is hard to beat. Watching the sun set just before kickoff that night is one of my favorite fan experiences. The moment was just about too much for me.
the overwhelming consensus amongst Bama fans who went to the BCS title and the 2000 ucla game was that it was small, outdated, hard to see, and archaic. The only positives was the grass, nostalgia, and scenery. You are one of the few that I have heard having a positive experience of it. But different strokes different folks

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Having lived in the Northwest I learned how big the Rose Bowl is...there are simply none that come close for much of the country. We live off the Sugar and Orange (and formerly Cotton) in the Southeast/west...but not the West or even the Northeast. I am glad to see them get on board...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Woooooo, I'm so excited for a 12 team, watered down playoff that will have multiple 3 loss teams in it. A playoff with potential teams like Tulane or UCF. Or maybe even a 4 loss team if a team like KSU plays TCU close and doesn't drop out of the top 12.

yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif

Right now, we'd have Tulane at Ohio State. Now that's some riveting, much watch TV right there.

The other 1st round games are fun match ups.....except everyone has multiple losses, except for Ohio State. This is better because it gives Tulane a chance? Because it gives a potential 3 loss team a chance? Nah....it just makes more money.

But hey, Bama would have another home game....so...there's that.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The way I understand this to work in 2024 is....the top 4 MUST be conference champs. So hypothetically, using this year, if Utah beats USC, then Utah is #4 with 3 losses? If KSU beats TCU, KSU is top 4 with 3 losses?

Reactions: B1GTide

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
They just need to make the smart decision and and expand to a 128 team playoff with a round robin style of elimination with 13 pods and of course don't forget Notre Dame as the automatic qualifier for the top 4 every year because Notre Dame.

Reactions: dtgreg

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The way I understand this to work in 2024 is....the top 4 MUST be conference champs. So hypothetically, using this year, if Utah beats USC, then Utah is #4 with 3 losses? If KSU beats TCU, KSU is top 4 with 3 losses?
I sincerely appreciate college football telling me the same thing college basketball told me years ago - "Meh, don't worry about the regular season, you haven't missed much."

We've added paid players, free agency, and now an expanded playoff.

Welcome to the Junior NFL.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I sincerely appreciate college football telling me the same thing college basketball told me years ago - "Meh, don't worry about the regular season, you haven't missed much."

We've added paid players, free agency, and now an expanded playoff.

Welcome to the Junior NFL.
If, by chance, Purdue were to beat Michigan and be Big 10 Champs.....say the UGA, TCU and USC won and were top 3....Michigan loses to Purdue.....the highest ranked conference champ then would be Clemson. So wouldn't that mean Clemson jumps into the top 4?

Plus then you've got to include a 9-4 Purdue team somewhere.

Hypothetical scenario for 2024 using this years teams of course.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
With the playoff expansion in 2024 I wonder if this will get TX/OK in the SEC a year early. If I'm the Big XII, I don't want them taking the playoff spot with them on their way out the door.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
A 12 team playoff would have made last weeks Michigan - Ohio State game only for bragging rights since they would have both been in the playoff regardless. A good example of how an expanded playoff ruins the regular season.

• Thank You
Reactions: dtgreg and Cruloc

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
With the playoff expansion in 2024 I wonder if this will get TX/OK in the SEC a year early. If I'm the Big XII, I don't want them taking the playoff spot with them on their way out the door.
Yes, you would - because you'd want the conference money.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The Rose Bowl used to be huge. It's really not anymore.
The Rose Bowl used to be important. It's really not anymore.
The Big-4 Bowls used to all be big and, at least somewhat, important. They really aren't anymore.

The Rose Bowl lost the vast majority of its importance when it stopped being the de facto National Championship Game. It lost more when the BCS arrived and even more with the CFP. Now, it's just another major bowl game. The only difference is that some people really want to live in the past when it comes to the Rose Bowl.

I get why the Pac-12 and B1G want it to be a big deal. I mean, it was their crowning jewel for decades but is now their consolation prize. In most seasons, it's the only trophy either of those conferences end the season owning. For them, it HAS to be big because they want it, they need it, to be big.

In the grand scheme of things, though, it doesn't mean any more than any other major bowl game - and quite often less.

And, as for our fight song, I think there's enough room to squeeze in an extra syllable or so there if we wanted to do so, "Remember the Championships we'll win, then!"...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A 12 team playoff would have made last weeks Michigan - Ohio State game only for bragging rights since they would have both been in the playoff regardless. A good example of how an expanded playoff ruins the regular season.
That is potentially the case this year. And even in the not too distant past, Nebraska and Oklahoma rematched in a bowl although I don't think either was in the running for the NC when the Orange Bowl was played.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.