Dec 7, 2018
Beating Flordia twice that year was sweet

There are scums lower in the ladder than him .. one in that cow college now

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He and Shula tried. Too bad neither was successful. But as Crimson1967 said, we may have missed out on CNS if they had. 🤷‍♂️
Disagree on the bold. Shula didn't try. At least Dubose did, but he tried too hard and caused great harm to the program. Yeah, it worked out okay for us in the long run, but screw Dubose for what he did to the university and screw Shula for not even trying.

Shula was pathetic. He made / makes lincoln riley look tough.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Before I rant, thanks to C67 for telling us this - sincerely.

I challenge anyone to turn down their dream job in their profession. He may have struggled, and I did get frustrated, but I have no doubt he loves the University.
I get it from that perspective, and I don't blame Dubious for the fact he got hired. That blame should be pointed at the so-called "Old Guard", who insisted that one of the key points for hiring a head coach was "someone who played for our coach who has been dead for 15 years."

However, we are talking about a guy who:
- spent years getting everyone to buy his excuses when we lost
- apparently felt an 11-12 record meant having an affair with his secretary was okay
- had the gall when Alabama started the 2000 season at #3 to say it wouldn't be long before we were #1
- broke down crying in the locker room after the 2000 USM game because "I'm doing everything the same I did last year" (yeah - but you didn't have a senior-laden team recruited by YOUR PREDECESSOR to bail you out!)
- lost TWICE to La Tech
- lost to UCF (I was rooting for us to lose that one just so he'd go away, the season was gone)
- when he got busted fooling around in the wrong pew, he went all evangelist
- was running the show and ran a loose enough ship that even if he didn't personally cheat, he was still the CEO when the Albert Means scandal happened

Believe it or not, I'm fine with "hey, a coach got hired and it just wasn't the right fit, didn't work out." I basically look at Perkins and Curry - and (for the most part) - Shula in that light. And in Shula's case, I decided long ago to separate my memories of him into the (mostly) good ones as a player and the so-so ones of him as a coach.

But Dubious played before I was ever an Alabama fan. As a head coach, he was Gerry Faust without the personal character.

And btw - this whole "if we hadn't hired him we might not have Saban" argument....well, that's like saying if I didn't go through a divorce from someone that I wouldn't have married the second woman, who was better (mostly by comparison) and her best friend oh yeah.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He and Shula tried. Too bad neither was successful. But as Crimson1967 said, we may have missed out on CNS if they had. 🤷‍♂️
Here's the difference (imho):

- when Michigan State got popped with a probation at the end of his first season as coach, this guy named Saban said, "We're not dwelling on it. This is something we have no control of and can do nothing about."

Dubious was full of excuses during his 4-7 season about the probation and the cupboard being bare; Stallings himself was alleged to have said he would have won 7-8 games with that team and the attendant problems. Given Dubious was 4-7 and lost FOUR CLOSE GAMES (two in the final minute and one in OT), I have no reason to think a better coach wouldn't have won 7-8 games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One more post on this subject and I'll drop it because I sincerely don't have any personal animus against Dubious (clap clap).

Bill Curry - for all of his flaws - called together the "will be the 1990 team" and told them "this team will win a national championship" but wouldn't do so if he stayed there. And he was 100% right on both counts. Curry left to spend his life telling tales about the Alabama mafia, but HE WAS IN THE RIGHT in leaving as he did.

Dubious - in my view - should have talked to Mal (or whoever was running it then, I think it was Mal) INSTEAD OF CRYING LIKE A BABY and told him, "Mal, I love this university, and I can't do this. I'm going to resign, period. But what I want to know now is - do you want me to finish the season or not? WHICH DO YOU THINK will be better for Alabama?"

Everyone around Dubious knew he'd lost the team at that USM horror.

Ivan Maisel tells that Dubious offered to resign (good for him) that night but it was rejected. He should have been more forceful and said, "Look, this is a train wreck I can't fix, but I'll let you decide whether we need me out the door now or later."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But it was also a tremendous opportunity.
By November 2000, it was an opportunity to (I'm serious) go to a fall wedding, go to a Carman concert, and take the youth group miniature golfing on Saturday afternoon.

It was an opportunity to watch other teams play, perform USAF Honor Guard funerals without feeling like I was missing anything, and go to Meramec Caverns.

(True story: the day of Dubious's first game as coach was the day Princess Di died).

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I lived in the same neighborhood with Mike down in Opp for 10 years or so. I always thought he was in over his head at Alabama. And he caused alot of his own problems. He will be the first to tell someone so. I’ve seen Mike do a lot of good things for people that will never be public. I know him as a neighbor not as a coach and I like him a lot.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.