Conference Championship Games are now Pointless and Should Cease to Exist

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Moving to a 12 team playoff and with the SEC expanding to 16 teams and other conferences likely following, the conference championship game serves zero purpose and has no bearing on the playoff picture except as a venue for key players to get injured, like Metchie for us last year. Football is not like basketball or other sports where teams can play games in quick succession in a conference tournament. Therefore, we should quit playing the game and just award the conference champion based on record.

Change my mind. 🙂

RollTide82

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2005
College football at its height as we’ve known it for the last 15-20 years is coming to an end. It’s dominated by greed now and when the expanded playoff hits the regular season it just won’t be the same. What makes College football so great is every single week being a must win game. With the expansion that’ll no longer be a case. You’ll have 2-3 loss teams getting in and multiple mulligans throughout the year.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
You are correct. However, the entire conference model will be changing with the realignment. My assumption is that when that happens, all conferences move away from the traditional division style model and into a full conference standings model.

Then the conference championships either pit the top 2 teams overall, or they turn it into a mini-conference tournament where top 4 teams play. And the winner of the conferences gets an auto-bye into the playoffs.

Doing it that way at least gives some meaning back to the CC games since most would have major matchup and seeding implications. It also protects the playoff from a random team, like a 5 loss Purdue, being gifted the B1G west and then winning a shocker and sneaking in.

So I agree. Right now the conference championship games mean virtually nothing, which sucks. But we’re just in a transitionary period of college football, and the wrinkles are still being smoothed out. If it’s approached correctly over the next couple of years, the meaning of those games can be restored pretty easily.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Can you imagine the headlines if this was published before Saturday…

“Georgia, Michigan & TCU can all lose and the committee guarantees they’re still in the playoff’s”
Nobody would have watched the games, but they put on the facade that the games mattered. They didn't. Except for the PAC-12 game which apparently did matter because reasons.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
College football at its height as we’ve known it for the last 15-20 years is coming to an end. It’s dominated by greed now and when the expanded playoff hits the regular season it just won’t be the same. What makes College football so great is every single week being a must win game. With the expansion that’ll no longer be a case. You’ll have 2-3 loss teams getting in and multiple mulligans throughout the year.
What people need to realize is, it’s ESPN behind every bit of this. Who has the contract on the playoff? Who benefits more from heightened interest beyond the first weekend in December?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
ESPN got what they wanted A Championship Playoff without Alabama.
It somehow didn't matter that Ohio State got soundly beaten at home. ESPN got what they wanted. A championship game between Georgia and Michigan.
Not a lot different than the BCS Model. They hand picked who would play for the Championship.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
What people need to realize is, it’s ESPN behind every bit of this. Who has the contract on the playoff? Who benefits more from heightened interest beyond the first weekend in December?
Exactly. Like any entertainment industry, they will drive to expand the number of games to eke out every last red cent until they’ve pushed it to meaninglessness. It’s the same philosophy behind endless movie reboots and 9,000 Star Wars and marvel movies and shows. They will be pushing for more than 12 in a few years.

Reactions: AlistarWills

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
TCU and USC both lost their conference championship game, but TCU goes to the playoff and USC doesn't. Why? USC has two losses and TCU has one. There has always been this obsession in college football with the number of losses without looking at who teams beat or lost to. One loss is better than two, that's it. Plus, TCU didn't drop in the polls because the committee didn't want a semifinal game with OSU/UM after they just played. I know the committee says they don't do that, but of course they do. The committee is now just praying UGA beats OSU.

Reactions: AngeloToad

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I’m not going to change your mind because I agree.

I watched a good bit of the TCU game for obvious reasons but not a single play of any of the rest of them, including USC vs Utah.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
ESPN got what they wanted A Championship Playoff without Alabama.
It somehow didn't matter that Ohio State got soundly beaten at home. ESPN got what they wanted. A championship game between Georgia and Michigan.
Not a lot different than the BCS Model. They hand picked who would play for the Championship.
ESPN wants eyes, that's all. They dont really care from where.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Ever since the playoffs started, I have been for dumping conference championship games. And this year shows exactly why they need to go. Somehow the Big 12 game turned into a exhibition game that doesn't count. What???? For the players sake and the fans sake, don't make us waste our time and money on these expenses exhibition games.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Moving to a 12 team playoff and with the SEC expanding to 16 teams and other conferences likely following, the conference championship game serves zero purpose and has no bearing on the playoff picture except as a venue for key players to get injured, like Metchie for us last year. Football is not like basketball or other sports where teams can play games in quick succession in a conference tournament. Therefore, we should quit playing the game and just award the conference champion based on record.

Change my mind. 🙂
The only argument I have is that bowl games can disappear too. Top players will opt out of the game if they are heading to the draft. It's come to playoffs or bust.

Reactions: Bama Czar

Lucky Jack

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022

Change my mind. 🙂
The $EC (and every other conference) wants the money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.