2022 Playoffs Thoughts

Who are you picking? Who are you rooting/pulling for? (Pick up to 1 each)

• Picking Georgia

Votes: 69 55.2%
  • Picking TCU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Picking Ohio State

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Picking Michigan

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Rooting for Georgia

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Rooting for TCU

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Rooting for Ohio State

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • Rooting for Michigan

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Doesn't apply to us so I don't care

Votes: 27 21.6%

• Total voters

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This must be what it's like to die and go to Hell.

My choices?
1) An SEC with our former DC who will be touted as the next Nick Saban if he wins
2) Two teams from the mouthiest non-SEC conference in the USA
3) the ugly guy who asked the hot girl out and got a date and is at the biggest wedding of the year...and the girl catches the bouquet, she kissed the frog and he turned into a prince albeit an ugly one

I would normally pull for UGA, largely because my favorite cousins are lifelong GA fans - but seriously, the state of GA has gotten their payoff in the last year for misery with the Braves winning the WS, the Dawgs winning the NCG, and the former UGA QB winning the Super Bowl. If this was last year and we weren't in it, I'd be for UGA, but I draw the line at more than one in a row.

The Big Ten - the problem I have with the conference is not so much with the Blue Blood (despite what Michigan tells you, there's only one) as it is with the hangers-on who are like the Arky/Ole Miss/MSU fans who live off Alabama laurels and chant "SEC!" Kevin Warren's foray into Covid politics quite frankly has me rooting for him to be found with a dead hooker or live boy in his bed (Delaney was the huckster lawyer who tried to blame the victim hit by a drunk driver, but he DID make the conference money upon money and he was willing to take the slings and arrows for stupid statements to keep the money flowing, sort of the stripper pretending to be interested in the customer; Warren is what you get when you're crossing i's and t's and never ask the first question, "Does this idiot know what he's doing?"

However, I WILL have a lot of fun if the B1G loses the game in Los Angeles because I'll be able to make all those cracks about "Big 10 teams can't play in outdoor warm weather in January."

I learn slightly towards Ohio State for two reasons:
1) I've made no secret of thinking Ryan Day is the man
2) when my choice is Ohio State or Michigan, the ONLY time I pull for Michigan is when it helps Alabama (like say knocking out a higher ranked team).

As a reminder (and as I've documented here) - Michigan and Texas are the two most overrated CFB teams in terms of reputation and perception in CFB history. (Yeah, Michigan has won more games than anyone - back a long time ago when they were fielding a largely pro team against cupcakes).

As far as TCU, the blathering Brandos of the world will never shut up and go into full historical revision mode about how "if team X only had a chance", the "cartel" would have been broken up. (Never mind TCU is part of the cartel for now).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is easy. If somebody has to win a NC of these 4 it's got to be TCU.

I always root for teams to win that will do the least harm to Bama and this is the one considering the other 3 are major powers that we recruit against.

That said, the winner of the TOSU vs. Georgia game, will win the NC if they get out of that game without significant injuries. Georgia would overpower Michigan and no way TOSU loses to the team up north again.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My first thought is that the committee artificially manipulated the seeding to avoid a Big 10 semifinal...TCU loses to a 3 loss team and doesn't fall even 1 spot? We're smarter than that...

2nd -- the SEC was not rewarded at all for being the physically toughest league. I do not believe TCU would go through our schedule with only 1 loss. If this were to be the case going forward, then the SEC should cut the number of league games...but with the expanded playoffs coming that should not be a problem.

I'm pulling for UGA -- my DIL's both are big fans and I want to see my grandchildren.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I'll give you all this: I and the Vegas oddsmakers and the power rankings could all be wrong. Maybe TCU is a better team than OSU. They did take their one loss to overtime while OSU got blown out on their own field. Maybe the Big 12 is a better conference than the Big 10. We'll see.
I do not know, but I think TCU could be better than they are credited. I am a horny toad through the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: spidermayin

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My first thought is that the committee artificially manipulated the seeding to avoid a Big 10 semifinal...TCU loses to a 3 loss team and doesn't fall even 1 spot? We're smarter than that...

2nd -- the SEC was not rewarded at all for being the physically toughest league. I do not believe TCU would go through our schedule with only 1 loss. If this were to be the case going forward, then the SEC should cut the number of league games...but with the expanded playoffs coming that should not be a problem.

I'm pulling for UGA -- my DIL's both are big fans and I want to see my grandchildren.
This is my whole problem with college football in general. All schedules are not created equal. It is a huge advantage not having a tough schedule. Until somebody figures a way on evening things up there will always be some rested powderpuff team make it to the playoffs because of a weak schedule.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've hesitated to post this. I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback and I probably deserve it. I'm not being an eeyore though, just calling it how it looks to me. Here goes.

I'm pulling for Ohio State.

I don't care about TCU. I don't care that they are there, and I don't care if they end up winning it. But I expect they get trucked by Michigan because athletically they are nowhere near on the same level. But favorites can and do fail to prepare properly for the moment at hand, and upstarts can and do take advantage of that. However, I don't expect that will happen due to what is at stake.

I don't hate Michigan. I've mocked them in the past and will continue to do so even if they don't deserve it. But I don't hate them and I don't think them winning it all will do anything to negatively impact my life at all.

I'm not passionate about Ohio State either. But I like them better than Michigan, plus our good Ohio State friends who post here. It would be a nice thing for them.

And that brings us to Georgia. I do hate them. And their winning would negatively impact my life because it will most certainly negatively impact Alabama's football program. B1GTide is correct, they are "here to stay" regardless of whether or not they win this particular title. But if they do indeed win this one, there will be a large media narrative created about how Kirby Smart has passed Nick Saban. And I have my thoughts on that but not ready to post them. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to that clown show.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I

And that brings us to Georgia. I do hate them. And their winning would negatively impact my life because it will most certainly negatively impact Alabama's football program. B1GTide is correct, they are "here to stay" regardless of whether or not they win this particular title. But if they do indeed win this one, there will be a large media narrative created about how Kirby Smart has passed Nick Saban. And I have my thoughts on that but not ready to post them. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to that clown show.
Kirby is 46 and already has a title and looks likely to win another. When Saban was 46 he had yet to win a bowl game or finish a season ranked.

Is Kirby ahead of Saban at 46? Yes.
Is UGA ahead of Bama as a program? Sadly, yes.
Is Kirby better than Saban? Not all time, but he's making his way there, slowly.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Kirby is 46 and already has a title and looks likely to win another. When Saban was 46 he had yet to win a bowl game or finish a season ranked.

Is Kirby ahead of Saban at 46? Yes.
Is UGA ahead of Bama as a program? Sadly, yes.
Is Kirby better than Saban? Not all time, but he's making his way there, slowly.
Can CKS do this for 24 more years? If so, he would be the greatest of all time...but I doubt it. He's doing well...but staying at the top is not as easy as getting there.

I expect CNS to have one more great year/NC -- and then go to the lake. Then we will see who comes in and if they can sustain and/or rebuild...

Going to be interesting to be sure...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.