National Transfer Portal news

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
As a former center (LOL) let me say that the cerebral is just about as important as the physical...yes, you have to be big and strong (I wasn't) but you also have to make the correct blocking calls. The entire OL depends upon that...which is what seemed to separate Dalcourt and McLaughlin. We've been spoiled by having great centers for the last 15 years or so....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I disagree with you strongly over Drew.

He went and played for a DC who knows what the hell they are doing and he turned him into a Borderline 1st Round NFL pick.

Barry Odom has fielded legit Top 10 Ds with MUCH LESS talent than Golding.

Golding was NEVER going to create a situation for Drew to thrive.

Drew made a smart choice and the loss IS on Alabama.
I disagree.
It never was about Golding or DC. It was about what position Drew wanted to play. That's the only reason. This is fact.

Arkansas Football: Nick Saban compliments former LB Drew Sanders (usatoday.com)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I disagree with you strongly over Drew.

He went and played for a DC who knows what the hell they are doing and he turned him into a Borderline 1st Round NFL pick.

Barry Odom has fielded legit Top 10 Ds with MUCH LESS talent than Golding.

Golding was NEVER going to create a situation for Drew to thrive.

Drew made a smart choice and the loss IS on Alabama.

Speaking of Drew Sanders.

1670343994209.png

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Two players from the basketball team last year are starters this year - Jusaun Holt at Georgia and Juwan Gary at Nebraska.
We did bring in Sears, Burnett, and Gurley from the portal and all are contributing very nicely so far this season. That said, not sure if comparing transfer activity in football and hoops is apples-to-apples.

We're all kind of gobsmacked by the sheer number of guys in the portal just now. A few may be angling for better NIL deals, but most are leaving due to playing time. Here's what I wonder - once Saban sets his starters for the season, he seems to really lock in and only change personnel in the event of injury. Does the competition for positions end after the 2nd or 3rd game, and if a guy didn't peak at the right time, tough luck? Are practice time restrictions preventing continued development of players who may not have won their position battle at the start of the season but could improve to the point of replacing an ineffective starter? There are a few players over the years that he's seemed to be really loyal to (Owens last year for example).

I suppose these are questions we'll never really know the answers to unless some of you are really connected to the program. Curious to hear from some of you on the board that may be.

Not quite ready to panic yet. It's early days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS has always been able to "adjust." At some point he won't.

I think that's where we are with the portal, defensive scheme and coordinator issues. Will CNS adjust???

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on him that he'll adjust and delay his permanent trip to the lake for a few more years. Fingers crossed!!!

Reactions: Tidelines

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn

I think that's where we are with the portal, defensive scheme and coordinator issues. Will CNS adjust???

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on him that he'll adjust and delay his permanent trip to the lake for a few more years. Fingers crossed!!!
Hope your right, I thought before this could be what drives him to retirement sooner with him saying the heck with this because no matter how he's adjusted to some things over the years he still is old school

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I disagree.
It never was about Golding or DC. It was about what position Drew wanted to play. That's the only reason. This is fact.

Arkansas Football: Nick Saban compliments former LB Drew Sanders (usatoday.com)
Regardless of any public reasons or compliments Drew made the right choice.

Do you actually think Golding would have him on the cusp of being a 1st Round Pick??

Golding would have him vacating the middle of the field to drop into Pass D or in the EXACT SAME Blitz plays over and over that get picked up or not even on the field period.

Whether Drew left strictly over a position change or anything else is immaterial to his decision being right.

He didn't just do 'well' away from Golding.... He THRIVED.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Help me if I am wrong, but since the whole portal thing really took off, I count only 2 portals who really panned out for us - Jameson Williams, and JahMyr Gibbs.

Who am I missing? One might say Burton, but to me he never developed into a go to WR and that's what we needed. Harrell never played. Ricks never played until very late in the year.

On the flip side though, I'm not sure any of our portal-outs have made a large impact at their destinations either.
Wasn`t Landon Dickerson through the portal? Regardless, he certainly panned out.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'd say the only straight up 'Miss' right now for us is Harrell but that's injury related.

Henry To'o To'o was also very good for us at times. Tbh when he struggled most he was asked to do things he shouldn't have been asked.

Burton put up almost the exact same numbers as he did at UGA

I don't know why it took so long for Ricks to start but in the end he worked out and became a starter.

Jamo and Gibbs were obvious Homeruns.

Then with the notable outs:

Drew Sanders became a starter at Arky
Javon Baker had a solid year at UCF
Shane Lee had a solid year at USCw
Joseph Bulovas was Solid for 2 years at Vandy

I won't name anyone else because they either found out they weren't good enough to climb anyone elses's D1 Depth chart either OR they completely flamed out and are looking to move again.

Our biggest loss was probably Sanders and that we couldn't find a way to keep him on the field.
One other 'out' was Quick. Started at Georgia Tech this year. Don't think he would have played at Bama as he still doesn't carry SEC weight at sub-300, but he was at least successful where he landed.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Regardless of any public reasons or compliments Drew made the right choice.

Do you actually think Golding would have him on the cusp of being a 1st Round Pick??

Golding would have him vacating the middle of the field to drop into Pass D or in the EXACT SAME Blitz plays over and over that get picked up or not even on the field period.

Whether Drew left strictly over a position change or anything else is immaterial to his decision being right.

He didn't just do 'well' away from Golding.... He THRIVED.
Yep, there's an old saying that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Well, I think G*ld*ng has made chicken crap out of chicken salad. I have ZERO confidence our defense will improve if he's retained as DC. As a matter of fact, I would bet it will continually get worse as more of the conference's OC's see how easy it is to our scheme him.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

No evidence of this whatsoever. He is where he is by making adjustments. I get what you are saying in the rest of your post but making adjustments is in his DNA. We can only hope he will be as effective in those adjustment decisions going forward as he has throughout the past 70 years of his life.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Help me if I am wrong, but since the whole portal thing really took off, I count only 2 portals who really panned out for us - Jameson Williams, and JahMyr Gibbs.

Who am I missing? One might say Burton, but to me he never developed into a go to WR and that's what we needed. Harrell never played. Ricks never played until very late in the year.

On the flip side though, I'm not sure any of our portal-outs have made a large impact at their destinations either.
Tyler Steen played well I thought.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.