BREAKING Sugar Bowl: Kansas State vs Alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Good perspective here from Chase...

Yep - he weighs winning the game against preparing for next season. Where I disagree with him - the coaches and (hopefully) coordinators will be different in a month. How much will we really learn about these players that we don't already know with these coaches preparing them for the game?

IMO, the time to learn those things is the spring game and summer practice. Actual games - you play your best players in an effort to win.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Yep - he weighs winning the game against preparing for next season. Where I disagree with him - the coaches and (hopefully) coordinators will be different in a month. How much will we really learn about these players that we don't already know with these coaches preparing them for the game?

IMO, the time to learn those things is the spring game and summer practice. Actual games - you play your best players in an effort to win.
There is still a lot of good experience to be gained by playing time in a bowl game - even if there might be a different OC in the spring.

One of the few complaints I have with Saban is that I don't think he plays the backups enough - at least not on offense. It seems like every other year we go into the season with an inexperienced QB.

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Hey Saban can’t have it both ways. He said to demand and expect excellence. Can’t be mad at fans when we don’t see it and are frustrated about what could have been. Having been a fan a loooong time and seeing trash Bama programs I’m not jumping off a bridge any time soon because of a disappointing season. That said, I have no problem with calling certain people on staff that need to be replaced because they are not anywhere close to the standard CNS, the fans, and players past and present have come to expect at the Capstone.
Not really sure you got what I meant. My comment was more done sarcastically in jest. Perception is not always reality.

As I am confident you are well aware, we primarily share opinions and insight, sometimes humor and sometimes sarcasm on this board.

The post you quoted though has nothing to do with me calling out fans, their criticisms and or the willingness to call attention to poor coaching per se, I certainly have addressed my opinions on coaching changes issues and the need for change ad nauseum in other previous posts.

It was more to point out that in spite of everything else, the disappointment some of us feel as fans only exists because of the abnormally high bar Coach Saban and our past successes has set. I am beyond glad that we are the gold standard in college football and that bar is there and that high. I also agree that there are certain expectations and levels that should be maintained or exceeded to ensure ongoing future success.

At the same time, however, I can acknowledge that we are spoiled as a fan base, and that there are teams that our disappointment this year would be their best season in decades or quite possibly ever for their program.

More just recognizing that we have a lot to be thankful for and it’s not too bad being a BAMA fan. It’s good to be the king.

RTR

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The fact we are *only* 3.5 point favorites over a 3 loss Big 12 team is very telling to me…
I think the line is coming down because of the guys entering the portal. If Bryce decides to opt-out it could turn the game into a Pickem or worse. Given the fact that Bryce saw both Metchie and Williams get injured during postseason play a year ago, the fact that Bryce was injured himself during this season and also the fact that he was noncommittal when asked before the Iron Bowl if that would be his last Alabama game all leads me to believe he won't play. I'd like to be wrong though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I would never argue a precise parallel between Mike Tyson's heyday as a savage in the boxing ring and Alabama, there ARE some similarities. And one of them (which led to Tyson's in-ring downfall against Buster Douglas) is this: Alabama needs motivation other than "this is a competitive football game that we need to win."

My concern is THAT hasn't been there since basically last year's Florida game (mostly in the middle of it). We have played slow motion, lethargic, "every player not named Bryce Young on offense suffers from mono" football now for WAY too long.

And it's why I suspect that we're going to lose the Sugar Bowl and face an off-season of mockery.

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
Not an X's and O's guy either but maybe the whole notion of having a "complex defense" is not needed in today's game. Even going back 8-10 years ago. Johnny football, Nick Marshall, and whatever the dudes name was from ole miss would run all over us and get a million yards and points by playing sandlot football and then they would go play LSU with Chavis or someone else with fewer complex schemes. Those guys just a put a spy on Johnny football or Marshall and it would end up being a 24-19 game or something. We had 8 returning starters on defense in 2022 and they were woefully out of place and confused like it was their first game playing D1 football all the way into November.
I will say something my old coach used to say. It's not all about Xs and Os. It's about the Jocks and Joes. The Xs and Os don't make the tackles, make the catches or make the blocks. The Xs and Os just tell you where to be. I played starting corner for 3 years, at my high school and was backup QB. I wasn't good enough nor big enough, to sniff a college role.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.