Deion is on his way to Colorado

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
Two things are guaranteed to happen with Sanders at Colorado. They will have an instant upgrade in talent to work with and there will be an immediate influx of money to the program. Granted, that doesn't guarantee wins, just ask Jimbo, but it at least puts them in a better position to succeed compared to the last decade or so.
Yep. Still comes down to Jocks and Joes. I think Sander will do well at CO. I think he will hit his ceiling in 2 years, personally. But, that program has been in the toilet, for a while. I am sure their fan base will be very happy. Will not be shocked to see them with 8 wins, next season.

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
I think it was a very smart and strategic move by Sanders to choose CU over the other options because it will be easier to improve that program than the others. With CU, there's really no other way to go but up.
Not wrong. Same can be said for Brent Key, at GT. However; that fanbase will get what they asked for. A .500 coach that occasionally wins 7 games. At least, until they get tired of the smaller bowls.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Until they didn't. Collins (AKA the clown), changed that. See what happened there. I believe, to date, he is the worst head coach, in GT history. Which I called out, in year one. But, nonetheless. I don't think CO is a target rich environment, for talent. Sanders will have to go to the same battle grounds to get those high value recruits. With that said, Sanders, for just being Sanders, will generate some buzz. He still has to convert talent into wins. See Texas A&M as an example of how recruitment doesn't equal wins.
Yeah but here is the thing, Colorado is far more closer to a very good job than Georgia Tech. You could potentially build Colorado into a title contender with the right coach. Georgia Tech really requires a lot to go right that is outside the control of Georgia Tech to go right.

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
Yeah but here is the thing, Colorado is far more closer to a very good job than Georgia Tech. You could potentially build Colorado into a title contender with the right coach. Georgia Tech really requires a lot to go right that is outside the control of Georgia Tech to go right.
Not wrong. The whole mindset of that program is bad. It doesn't help that most the fanbase are elitists in mindset. Meaning if you don't have a degree from GT, you not only don't matter, you are inferior to them. You don't think sidewalk fans and coaches outside, see this? This is why they are so stuck on the "Tech Man" philosophy. The issue with GT goes far beyond just the players. Their culture is bad.

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
Not wrong. The whole mindset of that program is bad. It doesn't help that most the fanbase are elitists in mindset. Meaning if you don't have a degree from GT, you not only don't matter, you are inferior to them. You don't think sidewalk fans and coaches outside, see this? This is why they are so stuck on the "Tech Man" philosophy. The issue with GT goes far beyond just the players. Their culture is bad.
I will qualify this. I didn't go to GT. I was accepted, but did not attend. I went into the Marines instead. The bulk of the GT fans virtual signal that they care about veterans. However; in truth they only care about those that attended GT. Those that didn't attend and are veterans are beneath them and they treat them as such. I have personal experience in this.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Georgia Tech's problem is wanting to be the Notre Dame of the South, going back to the 60s when they left the SEC. They were a powerhouse program back then.

Sitting right smack in the middle of one of the 3 most fertile recruiting territories in the country, they ought to be able to flourish but they eliminate themselves from contention from about 95% of all those elite recruits due to academics.

And the whole "Notre Dame of the South" thing never worked out, they never were able to build a national brand, so there is no unique draw to Georgia Tech that can take it across the country to recruit. They are very regional. And as 81 puts it, this is the absolute wrong region to be in if you are a niche program needing to attract a particular kind of recruit. Everyone around here wants to play at Alabama/Georgia/Clemson whether they are the valedictorian or not.

Colorado doesn't have this issue, but they are still remote from most 4/5 star type talent. But the NIL/portal paradigm alleviates all that, if you have a rock star coach.

Reactions: Jmonty71

Jmonty71

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2022
Georgia Tech's problem is wanting to be the Notre Dame of the South, going back to the 60s when they left the SEC. They were a powerhouse program back then.

Sitting right smack in the middle of one of the 3 most fertile recruiting territories in the country, they ought to be able to flourish but they eliminate themselves from contention from about 95% of all those elite recruits due to academics.

And the whole "Notre Dame of the South" thing never worked out, they never were able to build a national brand, so there is no unique draw to Georgia Tech that can take it across the country to recruit. They are very regional. And as 81 puts it, this is the absolute wrong region to be in if you are a niche program needing to attract a particular kind of recruit. Everyone around here wants to play at Alabama/Georgia/Clemson whether they are the valedictorian or not.

Colorado doesn't have this issue, but they are still remote from most 4/5 star type talent. But the NIL/portal paradigm alleviates all that, if you have a rock star coach.
I cannot argue with any of this. I will say GT uses their academics as a crutch and also as a way to think they are better than schools like UGA, Clemson and even Bama. They use snarky comments like, we don't offer basket weaving, bowling and African Studies as an excuse as to why recruits shy away from GT. The alumni and fanbase, cannot come to terms with reality. That reality being, they just aren't a destination that many kids want to play at. Do they get the occasional good talent? Yes. However; it's not common as every school you mentioned.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I personally think Deion is going to be a flop. He's not an X's and O's coach. He's a rah-rah, give a pep talk coach. He's coming from a place where his name recognition got him a few talented players from the portal and he just out talented the competition. He'd going to a bottom of the barrel PAC-12 team where he's not going to be able to do that. PAC-12 has some decent teams. Getting a few big name recruits in the portal each year isn't going to get the job done.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Let's also keep in mind that Sanders isn't going to have win a national championship to be deemed a success at CU. Again, a brilliant strategic move by Sanders on choosing CU over Cincinnati and USF, in that he can get them to 6 wins or more and automatically be deemed a success. Throw in the boost in talent he's going to bring in, and throw in there a year where everything goes their way and they mess up and win 9 to 10 games and they'll be making plans for his statue out in front of the stadium.

1670532347077.png

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Truth, but that's exactly how he'll win at CO, if he does. He'll simply out-recruit most of his opponents.
Colorado is one of the easier schools in the PAC 12 to acclimate to for the average college recruit. Academics, culture, and prestige aren’t constantly shoved down your throat like they are in Oregon St, Arizona, and the California schools. A lot of the general feel to it is like an Oklahoma or Nebraska in which yes they like high academics but they love being competitive in sports more.

Prime’s biggest obstacle imo is Utah. Whittenham has basically made the brand that Prime is going to have to make at Colorado to stay relevant.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Welp, Jmonty71, you’ve officially burned your GT bridges.lol

Reactions: Jmonty71

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I personally think Deion is going to be a flop. He's not an X's and O's coach. He's a rah-rah, give a pep talk coach. He's coming from a place where his name recognition got him a few talented players from the portal and he just out talented the competition. He'd going to a bottom of the barrel PAC-12 team where he's not going to be able to do that. PAC-12 has some decent teams. Getting a few big name recruits in the portal each year isn't going to get the job done.
I kind of agree with you. More experience coaches will out coach him. He has to let his assistants have more input until he acclimates to the PAC-12. If he try’s to dominate everything I feel he will not do well. Needs be the CEO for a while.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I kind of agree with you. More experience coaches will out coach him. He has to let his assistants have more input until he acclimates to the PAC-12. If he try’s to dominate everything I feel he will not do well. Needs be the CEO for a while.
But, from what I have observed; domination is his whole persona when he enters the room. In every meeting, interview, appearance; it's about Deion and his brand. He literally was pushing "Prime brand" more that JSU/SWAC; IMO.
Maybe it works? We shall see.

Reactions: Tidelines

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
How do we know Sanders doesn't know the X's and O's side of the game and his success at JSU was due to some other reason? Football is football, and I'm sure he ran into a lot of other HC's at JSU that had a ton more coaching experience yet he still held his own. Maybe the guy knows more about the X's and O's part of the game than given credit for. 🤷‍♂️

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.