Link: Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard is leaving the Badgers program after the bowl 👀👀👀

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
At the risk of being castigated, I'll just throw this out there. I've wondered the same thing. I wonder what he could do if he had full control of the defense and could do what he wanted, rather than running "Saban's defense."
I mean at this point it doesn’t matter. You know your players, your playbook, and have an idea what the opponent is doing. If you can’t call a competent game that’s not the d that’s you. It’s not like he wants to run a cover 2 and it’s not in our playbook. I’m sure it’s not all on him (in fact Ive smelt a lot of Grantham stink on a lot of our 3rd down calls tbh) but at the end of the day your job as the playcaller is to see what’s going on and put your guys in the best position to succeed. He’s done that maybe 3 games in 4 years.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not intending to be “Captain Obvious” here, but fact it has been relatively quiet in the days immediately after Leonhard’s decision to leave Wisconsin after their bowl game has me at least slightly optimistic. We know CNS wants to keep things on the QT until we get past early signing on December 21st. And the “quieter” it remains, the more I like it.

Leonhard may well decide to stay in Wisconsin and give the NFL a try at Green Bay. But if there is “interest” by CNS, you can bet he has made initial contact.

Now let’s all join hands and sing “Impossible Dream” together……

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Just knowing how Saban views recruiting, there's no way he is doing anything before the early signing day to tump over the apple cart. Currently, we have the number one recruiting class for 2023 and from what I've read and listened to, it is by a significant margin.

Now once ESD is over, I expect to see moves begin happening.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Just knowing how Saban views recruiting, there's no way he is doing anything before the early signing day to tump over the apple cart. Currently, we have the number one recruiting class for 2023 and from what I've read and listened to, it is by a significant margin.

Now once ESD is over, I expect to see moves begin happening.
I appreciate your use of the word "tump".

Bama had what was called the greatest recruiting class ever in 2021. (link)

Looking back, it was the most overrated class in Alabama history. Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton, Agiye Hall, JoJo Earl, Christian Leary, Kaine Williams, and Khyree Jackson are all gone (and I suspect one or two more will go too). Just a shockingly high number of whiffs.

I will withhold any optimism about recruits until they at least produce something on campus.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I appreciate your use of the word "tump".

Bama had what was called the greatest recruiting class ever in 2021. (link)

Looking back, it was the most overrated class in Alabama history. Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton, Agiye Hall, JoJo Earl, Christian Leary, Kaine Williams, and Khyree Jackson are all gone (and I suspect one or two more will go too). Just a shockingly high number of whiffs.

I will withhold any optimism about recruits until they at least produce something on campus.
I appreciate your use of the word "whiffs."

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
you guys kill me
Here is another.

And another
All at or around the top 10. I get you hate Golding. That’s fine. But he’s a Top 10 DC according to the stats.

And those are just the next 4 that came up on my search.
If Bill Gates moved in next door to me, I'd be living in the richest neighborhood in America. that doesn't mean i am rich though.....thats how "Stats" work....

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
For the sake of argument and statistics... Let's assume CPG is a top 10 DC... setting aside arguments about access to player quality...
If that was our standard, that would set us up alongside Stanford, Notre Dame, and Mich. State... whose average finish over the 2010's was 9, 10 and 11. That sounds about right. And that would look pretty good if we weren't accustomed to being so much better.
I'm thinking CNS has a least one more championship run... and that we'll see progress on both sides of the ball next year....even with less talent.
Cautiously optimistic...

Reactions: mlh

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not intending to be “Captain Obvious” here, but fact it has been relatively quiet in the days immediately after Leonhard’s decision to leave Wisconsin after their bowl game has me at least slightly optimistic. We know CNS wants to keep things on the QT until we get past early signing on December 21st. And the “quieter” it remains, the more I like it.

Leonhard may well decide to stay in Wisconsin and give the NFL a try at Green Bay. But if there is “interest” by CNS, you can bet he has made initial contact.

Now let’s all join hands and sing “Impossible Dream” together……
I'm on board with you Captain.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Only including SEC and Power 5 opponents, here are our PPG allowed from 2019 to 2022:

2019 - 222 points allowed in 10 games = 22.2 per game (this included a game against Duke)
2020 - 252 points allowed in 13 games = 19.4 per game (perhaps Golding's magnum opus)
2021 - 265 points allowed in 11 games = 24.1 per game
2022 - 209 points allowed in 9 games with 1 left to play = 23.2 per game

Forty-three games over the course of 4 seasons against SEC/Power 5 competition and we average giving up 22.05 points per game. That includes 4 games against Mississippi State; somehow Pete has Mike Leach's number. 2 games against completely inept Arkansas teams. One or two in there are against Vandy. The numbers would be much worse if we remove those. I don't remove those.... but the point of suggesting it is to get a real idea of what he's done against real competition. The kind that determines championships.

In no world has Alabama's defense under Pete Golding been elite, top 10, or hell even top 25 if we are going to consider these numbers against Alabama's talent level. Other than 2020, those numbers appear very stable to me as well. So we can be fairly confident they aren't going to change. If the point is winning championships, then I don't see how we can be confident in what we are doing anymore when viewing the change in the surrounding landscape.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I would like to see our points per game given up since 2019 against top 10 offenses. If you give up only 10 points, doesn't mean much if it's against a weak opponent, or bad offense. Our defense should be measured in relation to how well we stop top 10 offenses.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would like to see our points per game given up since 2019 against top 10 offenses. If you give up only 10 points, doesn't mean much if it's against a weak opponent, or bad offense. Our defense should be measured in relation to how well we stop top 10 offenses.
Let's just do top 50 offenses.

#1 offense LSU, averaged 48.4 ppg. We gave up 46
#28 offense Auburn, averaged 33.2 ppg. We gave up 48 (but 2 pick 6's) so defense gave up 34.
#44 offense Michigan, averaged 31.7 ppg. We gave up 16

#11 offense Ohio State, averaged 41 ppg. We gave up 24
#13 offense Florida, averaged 39.8 ppg. We gave up 46
#14 offense Ole Miss, averaged 39.2 ppg. We gave up 48
#30 offense Notre Dame, averaged 33.4 ppg. We gave up 14
#37 offense Texas A&M, averaged 32.6 ppg. We gave up 24
#38 offense Georgia, averaged 32.3 ppg. We gave up 24
#39 offense LSU, averaged 32 ppg. We gave up 17
*Obviously Pete's best year. Outside of Florida and Ole Miss, there was absolutely nothing to complain about. Of course, it was coupled with perhaps Alabama's best offense of all time.

#7 offense Tennessee, averaged 39.3 ppg. We gave up 24
#9 offense Georgia, averaged 38.6 ppg. We gave up 24 in game 1, 33 in game 2 (7 on a pick 6)
#11 offense Cincinnati averaged 36.9 ppg. We gave up 6
#23 offense Miami averaged 34.1 ppg. We gave up 13
#24 offense Ole Miss averaged 33.7 ppg. We gave up 21
#48 offense Arkansas averaged 30.9 ppg. We gave up 35
#49 offense Florida averaged 30.7 ppg. We gave up 29
BONUS #58 offense Texas A&M averaged 29.3 ppg. We gave up 41!

#1 offense Tennessee, averaged 47.3 ppg. We gave up 52
#20 offense Texas, averaged 35.7 ppg. We gave up 19 after their starting QB went out.
#28 offense Ole mIss, averaged 34.2 ppg. We gave up 24
#36 offense Mississippi St averaged 32.7. We gave up 6
#38 offense LSU averaged 32.3 ppg. We gave up 32 in OT but failed to stop them a single time after 1st half.
#50 offense Arkansas averaged 30.7 ppg. We gave up 26
BONUS #88 offense Auburn, averaged 24.8 ppg. We gave up 27!
Future: #33 offense K-State averages 33.2 ppg. We'll see.

Do with all of that what you will.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.