Worlds Most Stunning Sports Venues

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Some of us can remember the BDS before it had an upper deck. When I was at UA from 73-80, the lower deck today WAS the stadium. The two end zone scoreboards provided minimal information. But the team was usually very good, especially against the level of competition that came to Tuscaloosa, as opposed to Birmingham.
In my first few games the end zones were wooden bleachers. I am ashamed to admit it but do remember very vividly a small wooden grandstand in the corner of the end zone for black spectators. It is very sad to think about that today. In 1966 I believe they were beginning to build in the end zone to create the bowl which remained for years with the major games continuing at Legion Field.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I've been to a lot of baseball stadiums, but many of them are closed down now (old Yankee Stadium, Shea, Cleveland Stadium, Tiger Stadium, and Three Rivers). I'll say this about the really old ones like Fenway and Wrigley, they are all about nostalgia. They are not nice stadiums. As for the new ones, Target Field is pretty great and I went to the Minnesota State Fair the same weekend, but I don't think it's much better than Truist Park. The best pure baseball stadium to me is Camden Yards. It's just a really great baseball stadium.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Sunset at the Rose Bowl at the 2009 NC was stunning...
I enjoyed my visit to the Rose Bowl, except for our loss in I think 2001. I walked all around the outer part of the stadium just consuming the nostalgia of Alabama having played there in the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. I didn't enjoy sitting in the stands watching Bama lose to UCLA and I didn't enjoy two UCLA people (boy and girlfriend) getting into an argument with me getting a Coca Cola drink thrown all over me. I haven't liked UCLA since that day! Never had that happen to me at any other game in six decades of watching Bama football.

Reactions: bat123

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Some of us can remember the BDS before it had an upper deck. When I was at UA from 73-80, the lower deck today WAS the stadium. The two end zone scoreboards provided minimal information. But the team was usually very good, especially against the level of competition that came to Tuscaloosa, as opposed to Birmingham.
my first game was vs vpi (va tech) in '78 and i ushered a lot of the home games '81-84 with the boy scouts

Reactions: PaulD and UAH

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
my first game was vs vpi (va tech) in '78 and i ushered a lot of the home games '81-84 with the boy scouts
Wasn’t that the game we rushed for 700 yards or some outrageous number? Had like 6 different players with over 100 yards . That was actually 1973 game. We had 743 yards.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Bigger than life wasn’t he.
Bigger than life wasn’t he.
We were in the end zone at Legion Field for Tennessee around 77. He leaned on the goal post near to us. Tennessee cheer leaders came over to him for an autograph. We took it for granted that he would always be there. I remember getting a car with a group in Boston to return to the airport and the driver said Coach Bryant retired today. He was all many of us baby boomers had ever known at Alabama.

Reactions: Tidelines

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
being 9, i honestly don't remember much other than seeing coach bryant leaning on the goal post and that we won big.
That was 1973 when I was a freshman. The final was 77-6. We had 12 possessions and scored 11 TDs. (The other was the end of the first half.)

One of the things I liked about the game was that it was at night. BDS could be brutal back then with Astroturf and few shadows. Few games were at night back then.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I've been to a lot of baseball stadiums, but many of them are closed down now (old Yankee Stadium, Shea, Cleveland Stadium, Tiger Stadium, and Three Rivers). I'll say this about the really old ones like Fenway and Wrigley, they are all about nostalgia. They are not nice stadiums. As for the new ones, Target Field is pretty great and I went to the Minnesota State Fair the same weekend, but I don't think it's much better than Truist Park. The best pure baseball stadium to me is Camden Yards. It's just a really great baseball stadium.
I agree. Awesome experience, nice staff, awful team but I'm a Braves fan.

bat123

All-American
I enjoyed my visit to the Rose Bowl, except for our loss in I think 2001. I walked all around the outer part of the stadium just consuming the nostalgia of Alabama having played there in the 1920's, 1930's, and 1940's. I didn't enjoy sitting in the stands watching Bama lose to UCLA and I didn't enjoy two UCLA people (boy and girlfriend) getting into an argument with me getting a Coca Cola drink thrown all over me. I haven't liked UCLA since that day! Never had that happen to me at any other game in six decades of watching Bama football.
I was at that game and the punt return was our only real highlight but then there was the "Pancake Posse". However the venue made up for it....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.