OC and DC replacement discussion

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
One thing we know for certain from Coach Saban’s previous hires is that “you are going to do it his way”. Offense, Defense, ST, Conditioning, brushing your teeth, etc. And I fully believe coaches on the defensive side of ball are more accepting of that because it is understood “you’re the coordinator but it’s my defense”. And while OC’s run their “offense” they run it within Coach Saban’s “system”. CNS believes it is easier for the coordinator to adjust “what they do” (terminology, scheme, etc) to what the players already understand than it is to have players “relearn” new terminology or a new system. Basically it is “yes you can run what you want to run, but you’ll do it under certain constraints”.

I think there is a certain “attitude” among the younger set of “up and comers” on the offensive side of the ball that may chafe under this notion of “control”. They want to be able to “free wheel” unrestricted. Kiffin, Locksley, Sark and BOB were in somewhat of different position here than the Lebby, Briles, Brady, or Grubb types today. Kiffin, Locks, Sark & BOB were all former HC’s with an offensive background trying to work their way back. The best way was “doing what CNS wanted” because it offered the best chance of success for Alabama and for them. This new breed haven’t truly “experienced” that situation. And they are in demand making significant dollars. I’ll go/stay somewhere I get to “do my thing”.

Some of the things I’ve heard/read recently is that this could have been the “hold up” when Lebby was approached prior to hiring BoB and maybe this time as well (assuming that the reports of him being a top target are accurate).

Can CNS find the right person among the “hot names” out there willing to follow his process without having to dig into the “reclamation project” bin as he has in the past? We’ll see I guess.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Those are ridiculous numbers for a freakin coordinator. Just sayin.
Remember when 4 million a year on CNS's first contract was considered "ridiculous?"

BTW, I don't disagree...but what's 2-3 million for an organization that makes as much money as UA football?

Especially if it's the key to the road to another NCAA NC and millions and millions of more $$$!

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
I agree but once a coach achieves that level it becomes the new market price. Just looking around you see Golding & Lebby and both are around 2M. Seems now the best, or those perceived to be the best, are going to fetch that level. Crazy I know but that’s the new number today.

Reactions: BamaMoon

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not an expert by any means, and do not think I have anywhere near the credentials to actually criticize Coach Saban on many things. But there are a few dents in that armor with me after he held on to Golding for so long, took Doug Marrone in a package deal with BoB, and kept BoB after last season.

Yet when all is said and done, I'll certainly wait and see and try not to be too judgmental. We will have one of, if not the most talented rosters in the country next season. There is no use in getting bent out of shape in February.
I agree with you. January/February is a bit early to be "jumping out of windows" over coaching decisions that haven't yet been made. At the same time, it is important I think, to recognize that the competitive environment has changed a tremendous amount.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I don't know, RJ14.
Nick Saban is the nation's highest-paid college football coach for a third straight year, according to data released by USA Today. Now in his 16th season with the Crimson Tide, Saban's total pay for 2022 is $10.957 million, according to USA Today. Dabo Swinney was No. 2 followed by Kirby Smart.

2 million would be a little less than 20% of Saban's salary. Doesn't seem excessive to me. Washington is paying OC Grubb 2 million. Alabama should pay more than Washington IMO. Let's open up the wallet a little.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Remember when 4 million a year on CNS's first contract was considered "ridiculous?"

BTW, I don't disagree...but what's 2-3 million for an organization that makes as much money as UA football?

Especially if it's the key to the road to another NCAA NC and millions and millions of more $$$!
When I started grad school at Bama in 1995 I think Stallings was making $750K or something like that and I thought at the time that was crazy money.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I used 2019-2020 because the 2020-2021 financial information was COVID which drastically impacted the norm. But Alabama football in 2019/2020 was a $51,601,360 NET profit business. Players are now being able to make "their money" and it would stand to reason that these coordinators and their agents see the ridiculous amount of money that is big-time college football and are adjusting their "asking price" accordingly. The cost of doing business has gone up in other words.

1675269193276.png
1675269155682.png

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know, RJ14.
Nick Saban is the nation's highest-paid college football coach for a third straight year, according to data released by USA Today. Now in his 16th season with the Crimson Tide, Saban's total pay for 2022 is $10.957 million, according to USA Today. Dabo Swinney was No. 2 followed by Kirby Smart.

2 million would be a little less than 20% of Saban's salary. Doesn't seem excessive to me. Washington is paying OC Grubb 2 million. Alabama should pay more than Washington IMO. Let's open up the wallet a little.
Agreed. If Nick Saban really wanted Grubb (still not convinced he did or that an offer was made) then he had to go north of 2 million. Probably at least 2.5.

Are any of you going to take a pay cut to move across the country to a job that has a 1000% more pressure to succeed? Especially when there aren't many negatives to the gig you've already got?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Agreed. If Nick Saban really wanted Grubb (still not convinced he did or that an offer was made) then he had to go north of 2 million. Probably at least 2.5.

Are any of you going to take a pay cut to move across the country to a job that has a 1000% more pressure to succeed? Especially when there aren't many negatives to the gig you've already got?
Nope

Reactions: DrJJoyner

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
I don't believe it either...I never believe a real Bama fan who says "they won't watch" a football game.
Me neither. I suffered through the DuBose and Shula years when winning four games seemed like an impossibility. I will watch regardless. This run may or may not be over but I am a Bama fan and I watch Bama play football--I don't just watch them to win, although it has been nice.

Odd when people say they have better things to do when they would be watching if Bama was decimating opponents. Those "better things" are lesser when Bama is winning? Whatever, do what you want.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I figure 2 million in Tuscaloosa is worth more than 2 mill in Washington State. I'd just guess it would be like 2.5 in Alabama.

BTW, I'm not arguing Grubb is worth it...I'm not qualified to make that decision, but my point is if CNS decided he's the best qualified for what we need right now then I hope a few hundred thousand dollars would NOT stand in the way of pulling the trigger!

As for Grubb, yeah there's a risk there to leave what he has and come work for CNS. But if he's been paying attention it would probably be a two year stint and then he'd have a golden path paved toward a HC job worth several more million!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I figure 2 million in Tuscaloosa is worth more than 2 mill in Washington State. I'd just guess it would be like 2.5 in Alabama.

BTW, I'm not arguing Grubb is worth it...I'm not qualified to make that decision, but my point is if CNS decided he's the best qualified for what we need right now then I hope a few hundred thousand dollars would NOT stand in the way of pulling the trigger!

As for Grubb, yeah there's a risk there to leave what he has and come work for CNS. But if he's been paying attention it would probably be a two year stint and then he'd have a golden path paved toward a HC job worth several more million!
It certainly is worth more here. He would be able to afford a lot more in Alabama than in Washington, for sure. But still, I don't think you can offer the guy even money or certainly not less, even if the money goes further in another state. Moving from Seattle to Tuscaloosa is not a small thing to do, for anyone.

I am one who believes that we cannot know right now if Grubb is really worth that much. It would have been a risk both ways - for him and for us. But I just want to dispel this notion that "Alabama" commands such respect that he should have been happy to make less money here. I have not seen it as much here as other places. In some circles it's been suggested that he ought to have been happy to crawl here on broken glass.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.