Saban rejects 2 players over NIL money

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Only as long as the schools continue to grant the NCAA their 'power'.

All it will take is a few power schools to decide they've had enough and the entire sham will collapse, as it should.

We're in a waiting game now. Bama will likely not be the program to do this, but I could 100% see Abruun pulling this off. "Don't like it? What are you going to do about it?"
Not unlike what they did with Scam...

bamafan76

1st Team
Sep 19, 2004
Kenner, LA
Remember once upon a time they were 1-Student 2-Athletes and scholarships were the driving force for choosing where to go? :rolleyes:

Those were the days…

Reactions: The Ols

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
I think that before long the NFL will get this problem fixed, not the NCAA. I am all for players being paid, but in something of a structured way. Even in the NFL, a player can't get a contract, collect money, and then just transfer to another team because he feels like doing so.

But the biggest reason this will get fixed is because the quality of play has already decreased and will decrease even more. Why do I say this? Because how many of you would like to get hit by Reuben Foster, or fight Mike Tyson with a million dollars in your pocket? College football (much like pro boxing) is NOT a rich man's game.

Picture yourselves at 20 years old if you will. Now, you are one of the most fit men on the planet. You have a million dollars in your pocket and attend a school that is chock full of thousands of smoking hot girls. Honestly, what would you be doing? I know that I would be partying into the wee hours with every beautiful girl I could hook up with, and my quality of play would diminish. Remember, I am not talking about right/wrong now, just reality.

Now, look at this NFL draft if you will. 2023 is already a comparatively weak draft. There is no clear 1st pick, and I read an article in which the writer claimed that there are only 15 or so players with a first round grade. If this continues, the talent pool will weaken considerably and it will eventually cost the multi-billion dollar conglomerate NFL billions of dollars, and I don't see this happening for long. The NFL will step in and get something done.

As always, jmo.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think that before long the NFL will get this problem fixed, not the NCAA. I am all for players being paid, but in something of a structured way. Even in the NFL, a player can't get a contract, collect money, and then just transfer to another team because he feels like doing so.

But the biggest reason this will get fixed is because the quality of play has already decreased and will decrease even more. Why do I say this? Because how many of you would like to get hit by Reuben Foster, or fight Mike Tyson with a million dollars in your pocket? College football (much like pro boxing) is NOT a rich man's game.

Picture yourselves at 20 years old if you will. Now, you are one of the most fit men on the planet. You have a million dollars in your pocket and attend a school that is chock full of thousands of smoking hot girls. Honestly, what would you be doing? I know that I would be partying into the wee hours with every beautiful girl I could hook up with, and my quality of play would diminish. Remember, I am not talking about right/wrong now, just reality.

Now, look at this NFL draft if you will. 2023 is already a comparatively weak draft. There is no clear 1st pick, and I read an article in which the writer claimed that there are only 15 or so players with a first round grade. If this continues, the talent pool will weaken considerably and it will eventually cost the multi-billion dollar conglomerate NFL billions of dollars, and I don't see this happening for long. The NFL will step in and get something done.

As always, jmo.
Interesting take...what do you suppose the NFL will/can do about this drop in the talent level?

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
I think that the NFL has enough power to perhaps force politicians to put a system into place. The US Supreme Court probably cannot agree on what day of the week it is, but they voted 9-0 against the dumb, stubborn, greedy NCAA because there was no plan in place.

The NFL product is being diluted and diminished right before our eyes and the craziness has just started. I don't think that football is high upon the list of important issues facing our congress given all of the craziness going on in our country, but again; the NFL represents billions of dollars. I can't visualize them taking a loss on their product or especially their investment and revenue.

The Buffalo Bills play in a horrible climate in an old stadium. The Pegula Family purchased them for 1.4 billion cash. Folks like this rarely lose money.

Jmo.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well, now we - even if we can't actually afford to go to games - can help buy reward our players.

This is all i need to see to make me happy vs some 3rd party collective.
100 percent of subscription fees generated through Yea Alabama [go] directly to University of Alabama student-athletes

Reactions: dWarriors88

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think that the NFL has enough power to perhaps force politicians to put a system into place. The US Supreme Court probably cannot agree on what day of the week it is, but they voted 9-0 against the dumb, stubborn, greedy NCAA because there was no plan in place.
The SCOTUS would vote that way again and again.

What the NCAA was doing wasn't just akin to keeping teams from paying NFL players, it would be as if the NFL told players they could not have endorsement deals above and beyond their salaries (which would last about two seconds before an injunction was handed down).

Remember, despite how it might be twisted, NIL is about a player making money outside of the school. There's ZERO reason someone like Bryce Young shouldn't be able to be paid to be in commercials if he wishes, but that wasn't legal under the old NCAA rules.

IOW, there's no chance any rules will come along that limit a player's ability to cash in on their own name, image, or likeness. The NFL will have zero impact on a player's ability to have an endorsement deal going forward.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I have a question on how this money is actually paid out. Let's say a car dealer tells a kid they'll pay him 50K to play for the Sooners. They wouldn't actually give the kid a check would they? Isn't it more likely it's some kind of annuity paid out over several years?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I have a question on how this money is actually paid out. Let's say a car dealer tells a kid they'll pay him 50K to play for the Sooners. They wouldn't actually give the kid a check would they? Isn't it more likely it's some kind of annuity paid out over several years?
Not sure, but the idea behind NIL (in theory) is that the kid is being paid for the use of his Name/Image/Likeness, not to "play" for a certain team. But we all know what is really going on.🙄

Pretty sure that the payments would have to be current and not deferred in any way...:unsure:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.