OC and DC replacement discussion

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I also noticed the deafening silence around Leonhard, and am wishing right with you.
Same here, and I know from reading several other boards that there is some really weird language in his contract with Wisconsin that could be tough to work through. But yeah, I'd love to see the announcement this afternoon that he's our DC.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Interesting perspective! My instinct that the DC belongs in the box comes mostly from watching the game on TV and the fact that it seems like at least 2-3 times a game, the defensive team calls a timeout because they can tell from the skybox that there's a trick play on. But I guess it doesn't have to be the DC in the box; just someone who can relay that info quickly.
That's the way it is with our hs team. OC is in booth and the DC is on sideline. DC's work is done during the week in the film room. He schemes his plan based on what he see's on film. Coach in booth just watches for key players in game and calls formations and strengths. DC decides what he's going to call from that.
OC sees whole field from booth and makes calls or changes from way defense sets up. With all the comms available now, I see that set up working the best. (DC on sideline and OC in booth).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My gut tells me Leonhard still might be in picture. It just seems odd that things are so quiet around him when there seems to be a lot of movement in both college and the NFL. I know he has some weird clauses in his Wisconsin contract but you would still think there would be more conversation about his options.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Heard Saban may have had concerns that Leonhard could not handle what was required to be on his staff with the amount of time is required. Also heard we do not need to discount Schumann quite yet.

On a seperate matter, heard Demeco Ryans may go after Freddie Roach. They were teammates at Bama.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Heard Saban may have had concerns that Leonhard could not handle what was required to be on his staff with the amount of time is required. Also heard we do not need to discount Schumann quite yet.

On a seperate matter, heard Demeco Ryans may go after Freddie Roach. They were teammates at Bama.
Plus Leonhard has no "mitigation" requirement by Wisconsin. He will still get $1 million from March 2023-February 2024 just to do "nothing". No interview requirements, etc..

He can afford to take his time.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

So would CNS consider bringing back Bo Davis if Freddie left or is that still a "non -starter" with him? Time heals some wounds. Just wondering if this one is too deep to ever fully close.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If this has already been posted, my apologies. The thread has gotten so big I'm not about to sift back through the pages that accumulate by the minute. LOL!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

That would be both great on the Schumann front and terrible on the Freddie front but at least he'd be working with Meco which would be good for both to be on staff together.

Last edited:

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States

freddie played in the 90s and Demeco played in the early 2000s. I remember Freddie from when Iwas a kid watching Alabama and Demeco was during the Shula years.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
freddie played in the 90s and Demeco played in the early 2000s. I remember Freddie from when Iwas a kid watching Alabama and Demeco was during the Shula years.
You’re mis-remembering

Freddie and DeMeco were teammates the exact same time from 2002-2005 under Shula

They were both bright spots during a tough time.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
My gut tells me Leonhard still might be in picture. It just seems odd that things are so quiet around him when there seems to be a lot of movement in both college and the NFL. I know he has some weird clauses in his Wisconsin contract but you would still think there would be more conversation about his options.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
I also noticed the deafening silence around Leonhard, and am wishing right with you.
Same here, and I know from reading several other boards that there is some really weird language in his contract with Wisconsin that could be tough to work through. But yeah, I'd love to see the announcement this afternoon that he's our DC.
This ESPN article from Dec 2022 seemed to indicate he and Fickell had come to an agreement that Leonhard would not be staying on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.