BREAKING Kevin Steele hired as DC

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Well, Marquis Maze said this about the hire: "That’s how I feel about K. Steel he was my recruiting coach and it was nothing but tough stuff that he brought out of me. Great hire to start bringing some of that toughness back! Roll Tide"

In describing the defense the last couple of years, "tough," "hard-hitting," and "brutal" were not words that came readily to mind.
Yeah, words that come to mind about the last couple years...soft, out of position and avoiding contact

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
i kinda have my doubts that Pruitt is the one being groomed. Yeah I know news stories have been coming out but news stories were coming out about him being considered for the job when he was already out of the running for weeks. The problem is that the leaks haven’t been as plentiful as usual and it’s either because Saban has purposefully prevented them from finding their way to known squealers, Bryne and Saban have been playing things tight to the vest, or the leakers have left. But the crazy sports media types, it seems that they are way behind the developments in this story

But from revelations of last week, it seems Alabama is expecting a harsh punishment for Pruitt. I think that Steele is a temporary solution but I don’t know if Pruitt is the clear guy that they are expecting to fill that role. Armstrong is probably just as likely at this point.
Maybe you right but there seems to be a lot of smoke about that scenario. What we (or maybe just most) agree on is that the 64 year old Kevin Steele is very much a place holder, a short term hire. Rather he's keeping the job warm for Pruitt or a young coach on the staff that Saban likes but who is not ready (Armstrong?), time will tell.

I find it very interested at the coordinators hiring are very much different. One is young, at the beginning of his career and has no ties (at least what I can see) to either Saban or Alabama. The other is experienced, at the near end of his career and has clear ties to Alabama. The hiring are the polar opposites.

My gut feeling is that Steele is a one-and-done as the DC on this stint.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm warming to Steele, a bit. He is certainly is very experienced and knows his business thoroughly. He is not "exciting", a "home-run hire", in the way that most fans would appreciate. I'm getting over myself on that.

Whatever, he is the guy, let's get to work. And getting to work, immediately, no downtime, no learning curve, is definitely worth a lot.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Well I've slept on it (barely)...

I just don't like it.

Is it an upgrade over Golding? I mean yes of course it is.... Golding was one of the worst DC's I've ever seen in my life.

Is it anywhere close to the level of hire we needed? No

Rees and Steele > Bob and Golding - This is true

Monken and Schumann/Muschamp > Rees and Steele - This is also true

That's the problem.

These aren't the level of hires that were needed to wrestle the SEC and NCAA Crowns away from UGA.

Time is ticking on CNS's tenure and the SEC landscape has changed.

UGA is King because of their Coaching Staff from top to bottom and Tenn and LSU are on the rise.

Being Top 15 on Offense and Defense isn't enough. You gotta be Top 5 Elite on one side at least if not both sides.

I'm thinking at this point everyone completely mis-read CNS's body language when Pollack was talking trash 3 feet away because these are not Aggressive or Responsive hires against was UGA is doing.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.
I'd rather have Rees, than Monken at OC. And the defense will be strong with Steele. The sky is not falling!

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'd rather have Rees, than Monken at OC. And the defense will be strong with Steele. The sky is not falling!
I love both choices...we need a fresh look at offense, albeit going back to what we have done well...run the ball and throw play action passes...with occasional pure pass plays. It all begins and ends with being able to run the ball.

KS is a proven coach; no coach is perfect and his defenses will get beat at times...I do expect the 3rd and long pass to the TE to be covered somehow someway! As I have thought about it on both sides of the ball we were totally predictable and won more on talent than on scheme.

Rocking and rolling in the Low Country of SC...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have never felt more out of touch with the younger generation than hearing the leader of the Alabama defense admit they were filled with anxiety playing a team they were supposed to beat.
It's definitely changed A LOT! I've got boots on the ground with even younger generation, I coach baseball for ages 9, 12 and up until this season age 14. One of my HS friends is the head coach of a Division 1, very recognizable baseball program, who says the same things. If you live long enough you'll see a lot of changes in your lifetime, says my wife's 93-year-old grandmother. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: SkullDuckery
I have never felt more out of touch with the younger generation than hearing the leader of the Alabama defense admit they were filled with anxiety playing a team they were supposed to beat.
But, of course, that's the source of their anxiety! Anything less than sweeping the regular season, winning the SEC Championship Game, and then dominating the two rounds of the CFP is considered a letdown by most of the fan base.

Beat Tennessee? It's what you're expected to do.

It wasn't always like that, even in the Saban era.

Reactions: BamaMike05

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
My problem with this is that either Steele is a national championship-caliber DC or he isn't. If he's not, we're wasting one of the precious few years left with Saban at the helm. If he is, then replacing him with Pruitt isn't necessary.
There is the age thing Doc. CKS may be ready for a last hurrah that could last a year or two. JP is considerably younger and as I've noted before, with his baggage, is very likely to want to settle in for the long haul. I think his Head Coaching days are done and great pay, a winning program and a job he is a master at could keep him content until it's time for him to go to the proverbial lake as well.

Reactions: DrJJoyner

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I have never felt more out of touch with the younger generation than hearing the leader of the Alabama defense admit he was filled with anxiety playing a team they were supposed to beat.
Unless he sensed during the week of practice that Golding had no answer to stopping Tennessee, which it turned out he didn't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.