BREAKING Tommy Rees hired as OC

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I always laugh when people say that is Sabans kryptonite or the tight end thing. Like you see many teams stopping a ultra elite mobile qb playing out of his mind????or a 6 Foot 7 Tight end that is way bigger than all corners and safeties he comes across???
Every defense has its soft spots, there isn't a defense designed that doesn't have an inherent weakness. Throwing in the middle of the field is much harder for QB's than throwing to the sidelines. There is a much higher risk of interceptions than throwing the sidelines. So, if a defense is going to have a weakness, I would rather it be in the middle of the field because to exploit it, it would require a QB who is good at doing it.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Every defense has its soft spots, there isn't a defense designed that doesn't have an inherent weakness. Throwing in the middle of the field is much harder for QB's than throwing to the sidelines. There is a much higher risk of interceptions than throwing the sidelines. So, if a defense is going to have a weakness, I would think it would be in the middle of the field because to exploit it, it would require a QB who is good at doing it.
I think you've just described why Tom Brady is the GOAT. Dude is 6'6" and sees the field from a different angle. Combine that with his quick thinking and walla: the best ever!

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
The more I read about Rees the better of a hire it appears to be.
I'm feeling good about it as well. Love the descriptions of the formation and motions he uses to help ID coverages and scheme mismatches. Alos featuring a TE as he has done makes great sense with the transfer we have coming in from Maryland.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Here's what Tim Brown had to say about Rees.

“This is a great day for Irish football and maybe even a better day for Tommy Rees,” Brown tweeted. “I've been around a lot of offenses, but the Irish offense last year, with maybe the exception of the North Carolina game, was extremely predictable. Seeing the offense struggle told me at least two things. 1) Tommy was very dependent on Kelly and more important, he didn't have the ability to dissect a defense.

"What we saw is what I call HERO ball! You have a player(mayer) who is better than the person covering and you throw him the ball a zillion times. Make him the hero. If that doesn't work you lose. I was at a couple of games where it took everything in me not to go knock on the booth window and say give me the call sheet!!! Lol! I truly wish him well, he's gonna need it! Let's Go Irish!”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

“This is a great day for Irish football and maybe even a better day for Tommy Rees,” Brown tweeted. “I've been around a lot of offenses, but the Irish offense last year, with maybe the exception of the North Carolina game, was extremely predictable. Seeing the offense struggle told me at least two things. 1) Tommy was very dependent on Kelly and more important, he didn't have the ability to dissect a defense.

"What we saw is what I call HERO ball! You have a player(mayer) who is better than the person covering and you throw him the ball a zillion times. Make him the hero. If that doesn't work you lose. I was at a couple of games where it took everything in me not to go knock on the booth window and say give me the call sheet!!! Lol! I truly wish him well, he's gonna need it! Let's Go Irish!”

I read that the other day and there's a part of it that comes across as just "jilted girlfriend"-ish. Regarding the bolded part, I hear they still have an opening Tim, put your name in the hat and they may give you the "call sheet". 🤷‍♂️

• Thank You
Reactions: Cruloc

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Let’s just agree to disagree. To me based on everything I could research Rees was not the best proven candidate with the most potential. For you maybe he was but you even stated yourself in your response that he was not even on your radar, and this is with your more advanced metrics. Hopefully he does incredibly well but a knock it out home run hire initially on the surface he is not, imo. Potential is just that potential so nothing is determined yet.

You also state that “the asst coaches, including the Cs, do not typically make a great deal of difference.”
Do you really believe this? Where do you think the toughness and mentality comes from? The S&C coach has more contact with the players than any coach and can have an immense impact on mentality, conditioning, attitude, enthusiasm and overall play.

As far as talent goes BO and PG had arguably the best talent in the country to work with and comparable to their predecessors.

So PG taking over the previous years #1 defense in 2018 and finishing #15 in 2018, #23 in 2019, #29 in 2020, #6 in 2021, and finished #17 in 2022 is solid coaching to you and that no other DC could have done better given the talent he had to work with? Keep in mind, whether you find recruiting rankings a valuable tool and good information source, metric or not, we have dominated and have been ultra consistent in recruiting so comparable talent is present on paper.

You feel that Lane Kiffen calling offensive plays and schemes is comparable with Major Applewhite, that Kiffen can not be a difference maker?

Kirby running defensive schemes versus PG is equal and it is all about talent?

When it comes to talent in general and especially elite talent coaching can often be the most impactful deciding factor and or difference maker, imo.

Look I do not need to re-examine Rees tenure at notre dame, I can respect your opinion whether I agree with your opinion and logic or not. This has always been a respectful board with varying opinions. For some reason Coach Saban did not call me for my input, so I just roll with it. I just was not super pumped and excited with the hire and imo there were better candidates, but then again I am not a Coach at the university and my opinion is just that my opinion. However, I do realize elite talent or not, coaching can be the difference in sitting at home or winning it all.

RTR
Who, then, would you have hired as OC? Who is willing and available, that Saban should have hired? I think Rees will be great!

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Who, then, would you have hired as OC? Who is willing and available, that Saban should have hired? I think Rees will be great!
Are you referring to the available candidates that were speculated and mentioned in the media and discussed as possible candidates on this board or are you referring to only candidates that would take the job. Seeing that I have no direct knowledge who may have reached out via agent, who really is/was interested and available etc I guess I can go with the primary names mentioned as possible candidates.

To start with Rees was not really in the discussion at all and what he did at nd the last three years was not impressive. Does he have potential sure, but with the talent we have you might could coach them who knows.

Here are a few that were speculated and have a better track record, potential etc. imo, than Rees, ……..Kingsbury, Brady, Roman and Lebby and that is just some of the early candidates. Not really sure Rees was on anyone’s board at #1 other than yours and Coach Saban’s, the only real opinion that matters.

Again not knocking Rees I just think better candidates were out there and I thought we had the opportunity to get a more high profile, “perceived proven offensive guru” type. I was not super pumped with the hire. I do not want him to fail quite the contrary I want him to succeed.

Maybe some of the other candidates mentioned wanted nothing to do with Alabama but speculation and opinion is just that. A discussion of potential candidates is just a discussion. I do not get to personally interview them so I go off of stats and their coaching history.

Also, please share you insight as well as to what makes you think he is going to be great, more than just a hunch. Share with me some hard reasons, like Lebby ran ole miss a couple of years in the sec on a high level, Brady was behind 2019 lswho historic record breaking offense but has struggled a little in the nfl, etc.

You know like when I say I am not super excited about Rees it is because Rees’ offenses progressively got worse not better, ie. no improvement year over year at nd finally ending 2022 ranked #60.

Or when I said we needed to let Golding go a long time ago. The reason I said that was that we looked soft when we played and PG progressively got worse almost every year. He started and took over the previous years #1 defense in 2018 and finished #15 in 2018, #23 in 2019, #29 in 2020, #6 in 2021, and finished #17 in 2022. Only 1 year did he show improvement and then fell back the following year. Also, it is not like we do not and have not had elite talent on both sides of the ball.

You know hard points not just emotional. Thanks.

RTR

Last edited:
Reactions: tideindc

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Tim "I'm the greatest player in the history of CFB" Brown?

• Thank You
Reactions: Cruloc

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
For me, there are two questions that are foremost in my mind:
1. Is the difference between the program that is currently preeminent in college football, UGA, and Alabama, one of talent ( well, with the exception of Brock Bowers who appears to be from another planet ) or coaching?

2. Are Alabama`s offensive linemen trained, both physically and psychologically ( are they mean enough? ) to consistently dominate at the line of scrimmage in the run game? If not, with whom does that responsibility lie? To me, if indeed the focus will be a return to " joyless murderball " , this question HAS to be answered and addressed post haste.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For me, there are two questions that are foremost in my mind:
1. Is the difference between the program that is currently preeminent in college football, UGA, and Alabama, one of talent ( well, with the exception of Brock Bowers who appears to be from another planet ) or coaching?

2. Are Alabama`s offensive linemen trained, both physically and psychologically ( are they mean enough? ) to consistently dominate at the line of scrimmage in the run game? If not, with whom does that responsibility lie? To me, if indeed the focus will be a return to " joyless murderball " , this question HAS to be answered and addressed post haste.
If the recruiting ranking services know anything they'll tell you it's not about overall talent. Sure, you can show examples where Bowers is on a different level, but you could say the same thing about Bryce, Jones and Tua compared to UGA QBs.

I think the only difference between the two programs right now is a combination of mental toughness, aggression, meaness and confidence.

I think offensively it is time for us to "pivot" back to (as Greg McElroy said) a "downhill running game with play action passing" as our OL's have gotten less and less physical over the last several years. I also believe the defensive landscape of college football is very ripe to go back to implementing more of a "power running" offense as A LOT of defenses have gotten lighter and faster and to do that they have given up size.
Yeah, it's the natural cycle of the game. When everyone shifts to one way---spread offenses with fast, small dudes---it makes sense to shift the other way offensively, as defenses won't have the personnel to handle it. We're going back to the future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.